1967 New Yorker gas tank gurgling and spiting out gas

swartzed

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experienced their gas tank gurgling/bubbling and spitting some gas from underneath the car after they shut it off. I don't recall this happening before. I backed the car inside my brother in law's shed to work on it and heard and saw it doing this. The tank and pick up are new as is the fuel pump. I put a new plastic see through filter from Napa on and it barely shows any gas in it. I read someone saying the "glass filter" are no good? Taking any suggestions. Thanks

I have heard from Vice Grip Garage on YouTube and from my dad that the see-through, non-metal filters are a prime reason for classic car fires, since they can heat up and, due to weaker material, explode. This does not relate to your fuel tank problem, but I would advise against using glass filters.
77newyorker440

Check the location of your tail pipes, boiling fuel in the tank is usually caused by hot weather or a tailpipe that is routed too close to the tank. Modern moonshine blend fuels also boil more readily making the problem worse. Since you have a new tank and sending unit, check carefully around the sending unit for leaks and be sure all hose connections are tight. You need to find the source of the fuel leak before a fire gets started. Also check the fill tube connection and the fuel cap for leaks.

Dave

Last edited:
The plastic fuel filters have been around for ages. If there was a significant fire issue, they would not be around now.

Sometimes, they will also show no fuel in them as the engine is running. Other times, they'll be part-full, but never completely full. Which is what I observed on our '66 Newport 383 2bbl for about 150K miles.

Seems that all of the aftermarket/Fram fuel filters were plastic, as the Chrysler ones were chrome.

IF the fuel filter is located with the factory fuel lines, away from engine heat and in the air stream from the radiator, it's not near anything that migh harm it.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The only problem I've ever had with the see through filters was the filter media becoming unglued from the body, resulting in no filtration. Checked regularly, it's not really a concern. I don't really like the way they look though.

Some 440 equipped C's had a return fuel line at the fuel filter that goes back to the tank. Just sayin...

The vapor separator/filters were also on some late '60s 340, too, as I recall. Seems like the 440 omes were more in the earlier to mid '70s?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Mine spits gas out the vent occasionally, as you described, when shutting it off after driving a good while. (and typically with a recently filled tank)
I need to get a vented gas cap, as I've developed an OCD habit of going back and cracking open the cap after parking the car; I can hear the pressure relief when I take the cap off. Oh, I have a metal in-line filter.
My exhaust might be causing it, but more likely I need to get around to overhauling my gas tank situation; I've never changed out the hoses, the ground strap is mangled so the gauge doesn't work, which is probably made worse by the ancient sending unit.

thanks for all the input! I might go back to the metal fuel filter with the return fitting on it and see what happens. The main change could be that I routed the fuel line differently from the mechanical fuel pump to the carburetor per the instructions from Edelbrock when I put on their carburetor and got rid of the old Holley 4160 with the vented bowls. I never noticed it spitting gas or heard it bubbling in the tank before I made those changes. The interesting thing is that the current configuration is also the same way on my 69 Fury and I have never noticed any issues with it. So, more investigation is probably necessary.

Back