1967 Polara build thread

Reaction score
This is the car (383, auto)

Adding a reese hitch under the chrome bumper:

Electric fuel pump to help hot starting or priming the carb after sitting (including new stainless line to tank from inline tube and new sending unit). No more grinding away with the starter to get the fuel bowl filled up. It is a bit noisy; plan on adding some quality insulation to the floors.

Last edited:
A few more photos...

I made a doubler for the inside of the trunk for the fuel pump bracket. The added benefit is that the bolts are tack welded to it, making it a one man job to tighten it down from the bottom side. The plate is bent on the top side to mount to the slope of the trunk floor in that area.

Most of the hitch tucks up under the bumper well.

I will be converting to discs soon, and that means upgrading the wheels to 15" to clear them. There aren't too many aftermarket wheels that look dignified on a 4 door, so my idea is to use an obscure alloy wheel option from the Lincoln Town Car in the early 90's. They are remarkably similar to the factory wheel cover, picture at the top center shows a factory wheel cover laid on top of one. I will leave off the huge ugly Lincoln center caps and try to find a small cone to put in the center to cover the axle flange or wheel bearing cup. I have to open up the center just slightly to clear the rear axle flanges. I am going to have them powder coated, and use chrome lug nuts. What do y'all think?

You do very nice work and what a nice looking car! I've always liked the bowtie taillights on the '67.

:thumbsup: on your creative rim choice. Just wondering what kind of centre you can get to fit? The Lincoln centres can't be modified to maybe put a Fratzog on them?

I wouldn't want to contaminate a good Fratzog with the factory Lincoln centers. They are beyond Fugly. :wideyed:

I am almost tempted to cut the centers out of the stainless steel wheel covers and adapt them to the wheels, but it becomes a huge tooling problem to get them so that they are all perfectly interchangeable including when they are clocked different. The center cups (red piece) from the wheel covers do unbolt, but they are way too big to fit in the Linc wheels.

Last edited:
Adapting the Lincoln wheels looks like a challenge. What about a set of 70's C Body Road Wheels as an alternative. They do come up for sale periodically.

What is the scoop on the width of this type of wheel? I hear they come in two widths.

The Lincoln wheels are 6 3/4, call it 7". I think I need a about 7" width to mount a P235/70/15.

In any case, if I score a good set of these wheels, they might end up on a different car.

What is the scoop on the width of this type of wheel? I hear they come in two widths.

The Lincoln wheels are 6 3/4, call it 7". I think I need a about 7" width to mount a P235/70/15.

In any case, if I score a good set of these wheels, they might end up on a different car.
My '70 road wheels are 15" x 6" and I am running P235/75R15 tires. 70R15 would also fit. Is the bolt pattern on the Imperial wheels the same as standard Mopar? I have it in my head that the Imperial bolt circle was bigger.

Got the 15" Lincoln wheels back from machine shop and powder coat so I had new P235/75R15 Hankook tires installed. Powder coat is mirrored silver. Center caps are Cragar with the Fratzog from the old wheel covers. They look surprisingly close to the original wheel covers. I also finished the front end rebuild and Scarebird disc brake conversion, but am having to do some work getting the modern dual diaphragm booster and master cylinder in. Installed a new Comp Cams SK21-220-4 Extreme Energy cam (Advertised Duration 250/260, Lift .432/.444). New Espo Springs and Things heavy duty +2" rear leaf springs are in now. The old photos in the above posts disappeared due to the Photobucket apocalypse and can't edit the thread to restore them in the previous posts as it has been too long.

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

IMG_2106_Moment.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

Last edited:
Scarebird kit eh? Are you happy with how everything went together? Were looking to do disc brakes on the 65 some time and are weighing out the options.

Back