1968 300 convert driver project $6800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clover

Reaction score
Contact seller
I am selling my southern '68 Chrysler 300 convertible and am offering it here first. I have owned this car for about 25 years and have always wanted to restore it, but I have other projects and it's time to let this one go. It is pretty highly optioned from the factory and I have added some. With the exception of tires (they are over 25 years old) and a good battery (it is weak), the car is roadworthy and everything works (A/C is not charged). It is far from perfect and really needs to go to a good home where it can be taken to the next level.
Original options include air conditioning, power windows, power driver seat, tinted windshield, console, tilt/telescope steering wheel, door edge guards, cornering lights, fender-mounted turn signal indicators and AM radio with rear speaker and fader. I added speed control, passenger power seat, full tinted glass and FM radio with power antenna. It was originally a headrest car, but they were removed when the seats were redone, before I owned the car.
It was originally light metallic green with white interior and top. The original fender tag is missing, but it does have an original build sheet. The blue paint is obviously severely faded. The only rust on the car is some scaling and a few pinholes and one dime-sized hole, all in the trunk. the floor pans, rockers, fender bottoms, quarters and door bottoms are not rusted at all. The trunk and hood lips are also very good. Unfortunately, the left quarter panel was hit and repaired a long time ago, and it was not the best repair job. A used piece was sectioned in at the rear and it really should be repaired correctly before painting the car. I have a rust-free, used quarter panel with wheelhouse and trunk extension, from a Texas '68 Newport hardtop, that comes with the car. I suppose you could drive this car as is, as a rat rod, but that is not my taste. I used to drive it, but I haven't for years now.
The car is mechanically sound, with the original engine and differential, but the trans has been replaced with a '66. The carb is also not correct. It is for a 383 and acts a bit cold blooded. The car has new brake shoes, booster and master, with freshly-turned drums. The balljoints and tie rod ends are tight and I installed new Gabriel gas front shocks. It drives well and goes down the road straight. The exhaust is not the best, but the car comes with very good exhaust pipes and tailpipes that are correct for the car, as well as various other parts, including Excellent unpitted taillamp bezels and NOS taillamp lenses. I also recently replaced the motor mounts and throttle cable (with NOS). The top is okay and works great, but the rear window is separating at the bottom. the interior is pretty nice, but there is some minor dash pitting and the plastic side and back pieces for the seats are in rough shape.
This is a car that can be driven as is, but I think it deserves restoration. If you are seriously interested, I want to talk to you. I work full time, so PM me and I'll get back to you with my number. Thanks for reading this far and regards, Bob.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

011.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

Last edited:
I drove this car yesterday and it should be no surprise that I want it. At this very moment there are a few too many reasons why I shouldn't buy it. One of you guys should though, there would be no disappointments. Drive while you restore, not many of these left.
best of luck with this, Bob.

I'd have to say the price is about right for that car. Best of luck and I hope it goes to someone worthy.

The 68 300 is the 300 I would want first. Your car would be a fun car to own... Good luck to you, damn shame, I hate to see a C leave the nest

I really need to talk my buddy into this car. Matt he is the friend of mine that you met at the Mopar Nats. He loved my car and was ready to buy an old c-body. I am going to send him this link. If it was a couple years later I would be talking to you for sure Bob. I love the car.

I'm going to be kicking myself when this one goes to the new owner.

Thanks for your input, everybody. I really want her to go to a good home! I neglected to mention that she shows 29,000 miles and the digits line up perfectly on the odo, but I assume it is 129,000. Also, I forgot to mention that I rebuilt the underhood and dash wiring, and boosted the wire gauge on the critical power feed circuits. This was a common problem area on these and it is fixed for good on this car! everything looks stock except for thicker wires and a later fuselink.

A couple more things:
All underbody frame pieces are in excellent original condition with only slight surface rust and no damage or repairs ever. The sub/stub/snub frame is very very good original and rust free with no repairs ever (it has some minor denting on the bottom, so I can't call it excellent). The left quarter damage was limited to the outer quarter panel skin and the rear panel. The car has still has both original wheelhouses and trunk extensions on the left side, as well as the right side.
The exterior trim is a mixed bag. Mostly it is decent and also restorable to perfect, but a few pieces should be replaced for restoration standards, mainly the rocker moldings.

A few more things:
I completely resealed the trans and it doesn't leak at all. I replaced the front and rear axle seals. I replaced the carpet with ACC that fits pretty well.

Well it doesn't appear my buddy is in the market for a c-body at this time. I really would love this car. Just bad timing for me. Good luck with the sale Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back