1968 300 Hood Ornament

Axemiller

Reaction score
Is there any explanation on which 1968 300s received hood ornaments and which did not?
Every time I think I've figured it out I find a photo of an exception. I've seen convertibles with and without, vinyl top cars with and without, light group cars with and without, you get the idea, these cars really didn't have any option packages.

The only theory I have that I don't have the information to test is that early 1968 builds had ornaments because they were left over from the 1967 models and when they ran out they stopped using them.

Just a quirky thing I noticed about our cars.

Thanks.

In January of 1968, car manufacturers had to conform to new safety standards. For example, a car built after 1/1/68 would have shoulder harnesses in the front seat.

It's my understanding that the rigid ornament was eliminated for pedestrian safety. Newer cars either had a spring loaded ornament or none at all.

My Dad's late build '68 300 didn't have the ornament and also had black rear tail light panel.

Wikipedia:

"Restrictions to the fitting of ornaments on the front of vehicles have been introduced in some jurisdictions. Projecting decorative designs on the hood may increase the risk of injury to pedestrians in the case of an accident. Regulations introduced in the United States for the 1968 model year vehicles meant the disappearance of fixed stand-up hood ornaments, as well as spinner wheel protrusions."

Jeeeze!!
1647876977911.png

68 Chrysler 300 did not have the hood ornament, but have the same hood as a 67 300, so you will find the mounting hole is still there on the under side. Finding a hood ornament in good condition will take some hunting (the ones I have seen are usually pitted and the red/white & blue very faded). The last time I saw a very nice one on EBay, the seller had a very high price on it.

I became a Plymouth Fury "junkie" in the 60's because my Dad always rented a Fury from Avis for us to go on vacation. I remember in 68 the Fury's hood ornament laid flat instead of the "stand up" style from the 67. Considering Big_John saying the regulation began in January 1968 is it possible early builds could have had a "stand up" style? I've never seen one but I have seen many automotive oddities during my stint at a Pontiac store in the 80's.

Back