1968 Chrysler 300 Tail Lights on a 1968 New Yorker?

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello all, as you may or may not know - I've been working on building a custom 1968 Chrysler New Yorker coupe! Many people absolutely love the tail lights on the 68 New Yorker, but personally I the Chrysler 300 tail lights look better! Do the rear tail light panels pop off to be replaced with that of another car? Attached is a pic of what I mean. I know that I couldn't straight up bolt a set of 300 Tail Lamps to a 68 NY'er, but I want to know if I can somehow put a 300 tail light fascia / panel (don't know the proper terminology) into my 68 New Yorker. Any help is appreciated!

s-l1600.jpg

Hello all, as you may or may not know - I've been working on building a custom 1968 Chrysler New Yorker coupe! Many people absolutely love the tail lights on the 68 New Yorker, but personally I the Chrysler 300 tail lights look better! Do the rear tail light panels pop off to be replaced with that of another car? Attached is a pic of what I mean. I know that I couldn't straight up bolt a set of 300 Tail Lamps to a 68 NY'er, but I want to know if I can somehow put a 300 tail light fascia / panel (don't know the proper terminology) into my 68 New Yorker. Any help is appreciated!

View attachment 427918
It shouldn't be any problem. That sheet metal is the same on both the '68 New Yorker AND the '68 300. A bit of trivia from my observation. Check out a pic of the rear end of the '64 turbine car and you'll see where the inspiration for the '68 300 came from. Jer

A bit of trivia from my observation. Check out a pic of the rear end of the '64 turbine car and you'll see where the inspiration for the '68 300 came from. Jer

I definitely see it! I do know if I were to pop off the tail lamp assembly on the New Yorker - the cut out isn’t the same. So I was just wondering if the panel itself pops out. I’ve seen them for sale - but I’m not sure wether they were cut out or they can unbolt!

The rear body panel is welded on with about 100 spot welds. Can be changed but time consuming.

Back