1968 fury iii power brakes or no

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Plymouth fury iii and wondering if I have power drum brakes or manual drum brakes my brake pedal is so stiff fixing to do hoses and master cylinder but not sure what I have so I’ll post pictures so any help will be great thanks in advance

32CAE8BF-2BB0-450B-B2BA-8630AD4E09CC.jpeg

5D7F909E-A4C0-43A5-8AF4-8A9E43C7AD35.jpeg

C671C480-C28D-40D8-B463-7D44406D304E.jpeg

You have manual brakes, and a spark plug socket with extension on the intake manifold.

The manual drum brake set up you have is going to have a high, hard pedal. When you apply the brakes you want little pedal travel and a good hard feel. Don't ever "ride" your brakes or they will heat up and start to fade. If you are out cruising on some hills and curves you can always downshift to 2nd to help slow you down. These systems work well when all the components are good and adjusted correctly.

I must add that, it seems odd for a car equipped with power steering and AC to have manual brakes. Not that it couldn’t happen but still, odd. You might want to investigate further. Like maybe someone removed the booster.?

I must add that, it seems odd for a car equipped with power steering and AC to have manual brakes. Not that it couldn’t happen but still, odd. You might want to investigate further. Like maybe someone removed the booster.?
Not odd at all. They built thousands of car in the 60’s that way. It wasn’t like today where 98% of the cars are loaded. These options were a lot of money 55 years ago.

Not odd at all. They built thousands of car in the 60’s that way. It wasn’t like today where 98% of the cars are loaded. These options were a lot of money 55 years ago.
I know they made cars optioned a bit differently than the way we are used to seeing them nowadays. But I would think that someone who splurged for a Fury III and paid extra for AC and power brakes wouldn’t worry about saving money on brakes. All I’m saying is it that somewhere along the line someone removed some AC components from under the hood. They might have removed the booster as well if it gave out. Who knows? I haven’t seen how the rest of the car is optioned. Perhaps a fender tag or broadcast sheet would help sort out what the car came with and what has been changed around over the years.
I’ve seen old Mopars optioned in ways that didn’t make much sense to my way of thinking but,more often they seem to have a matching theme overall. I don’t know the how many were made with what combination of options or what the most common option package was. I’m not an expert, just an enthusiast.
I do know that these old cars can get bastardized over the years and it makes them hard to sort out even for someone who has experience working on them, much less a novice.

My '68 Fury III has a 383,power steering, power seats & A/C but not power brakes. My dad had a '68 Fury III sedan with a 318, power steering, A/C and no power brakes. This wasn't too uncommon back then when ordering cars. Once the '70s came around with a good disc brake system power brakes were more the norm.

I don’t know about 68 but on a 70 Fury the master cylinder bore was the same between power or manual brakes. They made up the difference by changing the leverage points on the brake pedal. So removing the booster on a 70 without changing the pedals makes for a darn stiff brake. That’s why I mentioned checking it out.

That looks like a 2-speed wiper on the first pics. I think the 3-speed sat sideways. I could be wrong. If so, I’m sure someone will chime in. Lol.
The more pics you can post the more they can help you here. Just a FYI

Back