1968 HP Valve Covers??

Cazman

Reaction score
I am getting close to finishing up my '68 300 440. It was a non-HP motor, but I am using HP manifolds. One picture that I did not take well enough when I took everything apart was the routing of the spark plug wires and brackets. I have most of the brackets sorted out, but I am wondering if the valve covers were different on HP vs non-HP.
The reason for wondering is the routing of the #5 and #7 wires. I ordered the Lectric Limited HP reproduction wire set and they came with all 90* boots. Their non-HP set has two boots that are straight, that I assume were for 5/7. Makes sense that these were routed over the right valve cover and held by the valve cover bracket. Not sure about HP. Seems like maybe the #7 wire should not use the valve cover bracket and go all the way around the back of the engine. Not sure.
Anyone have picture of the right side of a '68 HP? I have not found one.

IMG_0866.jpeg

On my 383 HP with the same manifolds, the 7 & 8 wires went down the intake, over the valve cover and looped in from the rear, there was a small one wire clip at the rear of each cover. So, to answer, while all covers will bolt on, there may have been separate ones for the HP with these clips. The other wires on both sides went down the front of the engine and looped up from under to the plugs. Nothing went directly over the covers and down, I assume to avoid the upward sweep of the manifolds. I'll try and find some pictures that show the routing.

The valve cover shown is for a non-HP big block. The HP exhaust manifold will come up and rest against the plug wire bracket when installed. One option is to carefully cut off the plug wire bracket. I know this because I need to either swap valve covers or remove the bracket on the valve covers on my yellow '68 Sport Fury. If needed, I can see if I have a photo to post but if you search for a B Body HP right exhaust manifold on eBay or elsewhere you will see how it arches up whereas the non-HP is a log style exhaust manifold that is low and straight.

The left valve cover has the wire loom for number 7. All other wires go from under..
boab 2018 006.JPG

From underneath notice #7 is a 90 degree plug. I useda plug wire heat sheathing since they are known to get baked in this location,and sprk plug removal is easier from underneath....learned the hard way,,got the burn scars to prove it,LOL
cell phine may 26 2018 034.jpg

The BoaB's engine before the restoration andd HP conversion..
Along with the different valve covers, going HP meant getting correct wire looms and plug wire set.
Yes the dual snorkel did fit the old Carter 2bbl,LOL!
BARGE ON A BUDGET 283.jpg

That looks great! May I ask where the heater core switch is located? It doesn't appear under hood in the before photos either. One more question, what is the purpose of the purple wire on the alternator?
Thanks!
1968 there was no heater core switch (shut off valve) on the hoses.
Shut off valves appeared on later models with air conditioning and also on some non A/C cars.

Purple wire is a ground for the extra field on the alternator that is not being used/not needed.

As I recall, from "back then", all of the rear plug wires came in from the "cowl side" of the engine, over the top of the valve covers, one way or another ("holder tab" locations could vary, sometimes. For 1972 (first time I saws them was on our then-new '72 Newport 400 2bbl), they went to a135-degree rear plug terminal/boot rather than the prior 90-degree terminal/boot (the 135-degree item was hard to not break when carefully removing) for the rear plugs. On the '66, it was recommended to remove the rock shield for the rag joint of the steering column, to aid plug removal . . . took it off with no problems, but still have it AND the Phillips head screws that held it.

The 135-degree terminals were obviously to keep the orange plug wires in more open air than in prior years. The 90-degree boots had things tucked-in pretty tight, even with the necessary spark plug heat shields for the down-pipe part of the exhaust manifold.

Some recollections,
CBODY67

Thanks!
1968 there was no heater core switch (shut off valve) on the hoses.
Shut off valves appeared on later models with air conditioning and also on some non A/C cars.

Purple wire is a ground for the extra field on the alternator that is not being used/not needed.

Did you also change radiators? if so, was your old one 22", new one looks 26" comments

about to start the same mods to mine...hp manifolds and TTI exhaust....looks like you have some kind of heat shield standing between the manifold and valve cover...is that part of a special exhaust gasket for the hp manifolds and if so where did you find them? thanks

Back