1968 New Yorker Map light

blue88

Reaction score
Question. What position is the /onoff position for map light? Currently i am chasing down issue the interior lights/trunk light... they are not working. I believe based on the schematic that the map light is also part of this circuit. I copied a picture from another thread to illustrate the map light position. Here the map light is flicked forward. Is this on or off position? In this picture the door is probably ajar so not sure if map light is in on or off position.. Any help is appreciated.
s-l1600-10-jpg.jpg

Map light pulled towards rear of the car is on, pushed towards front of the car is off.

Those switches are not the greatest design for longevity in my opinion, but they can be carefully disassembled and repaired.

The switch contacts and connections are on a small square of easily broken circuit board material, peened into the pot metal housing of the switch bezel. Once you carefully bend those peen marks back, the circuit board square can be removed, however, there are some small parts that may fly about if you're not careful, so disassemble it over a table where the parts can be seen if they fall out.

Typically the contacts are spring/sheet brass and just need a good cleaning and a reset of the contact setup.

Thank you very much for your response... mine has always been in the on position..since i got the car. I need to remove and see if still good.

One more question regarding my picture above... what is the dial next to the map light for? (immediately to the left of the map light switch in the picture)

As Ross mentioned,towards rear of car is ON
The thumbwheel next to map light is speaker fader button.
Trunk light,dome and map light are on same circuit so check the fuse first and make sure the proper bulbs are in the sockets.
Seen way too many people jam single contact bulbs where dual contacts are supposed to be which causes a short in the system.
Wire for trunk light is known to get pinched from years of crap being thrown into the trunk. It is a live wire and check for any breaks where it can ground out.

Dropp down the fader button and map light to check the wires and plugs. I had seen in the past people mix up the power antennae with the map light even though they share the same power source.
Check all door switches especially the front ones. They piggy back on each other and if one is not connected the dome light will not work.

Last edited:
As Ross mentioned,towards rear of car is ON
The thumbwheel next to map light is speaker fader button.
Trunk light,dome and map light are on same circuit so check the fuse first and make sure the proper bulbs are in the sockets.
Seen way too many people jam single contact bulbs where dual contacts are supposed to be which causes a short in the system.
Wire for trunk light is known to get pinched from years of cra being thrown into the trunk. It is a live wire and check for any breaks where it can ground out.

Dropp down the fader button and map light to check the wires and plugs. I had seen in the past people mix up the power antennae with the map light even though they share the same power source.
Check all door switches especially the front ones. They piggy back on each other and if one is not connected the dome light will not work.

Thanks.

Power antennae works... and the wires look fine after taking those panels down. I could not get the bulb from the map light out to check if it was single or dual connector. Also, i don't know what fuse is associated with that circuit for the side domes, trunk light, and map. Everything else in car works.. besides the clock and right turn signal dash bulb. Which probably just needs the contacts cleaned to get moving again but i am not doing unless i decide to pull dash to change signal bulb.

Back