Glad to hear you are happy with the radio. I changed the bulb and discovered that when the radio is turned off the light goes out,LOL! Turn it on and it lights up.Another update!
Wiring this time.
I can't work on engine parts because I'm still waiting for parts.
I've decided to tackle the dashboard wiring for now.
I wanted to get piece of mind wiring wise, so I'm checking everything to make sure it doesn't burn to the ground at some point.
The reason behind this is that pins J and P on the bulkhead connector were melted. Some previous owner bypassed the AMmeter when this happened in a not very nice way. I'm not scared of wiring so I decided to replace the bulkhead connector and check all wiring since I'm busy anyways.
I've pulled most of the dash apart, and after thinking "What did I get myself into" I carried on with comparing the wiring with my FSM. And to my surprise, 95% of the wiring is original and in way better condition than I've expected. Wires are still bendable without breaking and have little to no corrosion.
The only not original parts are :
- Ammeter bypass patch (not done in a neat way)
- Dimmer switch was broken in the back (I have a replacement one) and the connector was cutoff...
- Radio wiring patches, I've cut the non original wiring out and I'm returning it to original according to the FSM.
- Unknown black wire connecting Tan blower switch wire to DBL A/C clutch wire.
The rest is fully original, in good condition and all according to the FSM
(picture looks worse than it actually is...)
View attachment 439121
View attachment 439122
Repinned bulkhead connector with original wires and patched J and P pins (made sure the copper didn't have corrosion).
View attachment 439123
Quiet the difference.
View attachment 439124
View attachment 439125
I'm also refreshing dash panels, switches etc at home.
I've got a lot of spare dash parts thanks to @detmatt and @cbarge, they already came in handy
My chrysler came without radio (It had one from factory, but someone pulled it out).
I got my hands on a Chrysler AM/FM!!! thumbwheel radio, with many thanks to @cbarge
Finally got time to test the radio.
I connected ground to the chassis, first connected 12V to the orange wire (light), and yes, the light was working.
After this I connected an 8 Ohm speaker, antenna and connected 12V to the red wire (radio power)
Both AM and FM channels are working! We don't have many AM radio stations over here, but we do have a lot of FM radio.
Really happy this works. Now I have to find new speakers to install in the dash and at the rear seats (my car was optioned with rear speakers and fader switch).
View attachment 439117
View attachment 439118
The dimmer switch in my dash was broken, so I got my hands on a "cheap" replacement switch from another newport.
It didn't work very well so I cleaned it up and all contacts are working like a charm again (and the 0-15Ohm resistor works fine as well)
Ready to install!
View attachment 439119
I also had a spare blower motor switch (3 pins). It wasn't working at all, so I disassembled it, cleaned it and reassembled it.
It's working like a charm again with little to no resistance.
View attachment 439120
I also checked the headlight switch, wiper switch, dashboard lights and PCBs.
One thing that isn't working anymore is the clock my chrysler had from factory .
Wiring and dash components are going fast for a change.
I think I can finish this up by the end of the month.
And hopefully by then I will have my new parts!
You are treading into waters that many people steer clear of, but you look well equipped for them.
Will be really cool with the 3,23s , thinking of this myself. Would make it much nicer around town & such.
I've been away from the forum for a bit since a lot of things changed.
We've found another house and it took a lot of work to get everything sorted and moved.
I did manage to get some work done on the chrysler in the meantime.
The goal was to have the Chrysler running, driving and inspected (to get a tag) before I moved. That meant a lot of work in a short time. I don't have many detailed pictures of the past couple of months unfortunately. But I have some to share.
For the people who haven't seen it.
The first start of my engine:
My A/C fan switch wasn't working properly.
I've opened it and discovered it was melted somewhere in the past.
I've cleaned it and patched it up. It's working perfectly at the moment.
Future step it to wire a relay between this switch and the fan to prevent high current in the switch.