1968 newport steering leak

Tonybkel@newulmte

Reaction score
Filled the power steering pump last night and this morning it is on the floor, appears to be coming from the back of the box. On m 66 b body I replaced the box with a rebuilt, but did it while the motor was out. Can I remove/replace the box and leave the steering column alone or does that have to come out? Can the seal be replaced in the car? Thanks. I am going to check again where it came from as it seems impossible to leak out of the seal that fast?

Filled the power steering pump last night and this morning it is on the floor, appears to be coming from the back of the box. On m 66 b body I replaced the box with a rebuilt, but did it while the motor was out. Can I remove/replace the box and leave the steering column alone or does that have to come out? Can the seal be replaced in the car? Thanks. I am going to check again where it came from as it seems impossible to leak out of the seal that fast?

You will need to get some Brake-Kleen and clean up the gear. Then get a drop light or flashlight and see if you can locate the leak. Most likely leaking from one of the hose connections on a replacement gear. If it is leaking from the pittman arm seal or the input shaft, you have a defective gear and it will need to be replaced, it should have a warranty. These days, the quality of many rebuilt units is very poor if you purchase them from Auto Zone or Car Quest, usually they are Cardone crap. It is usually a lot simpler to remove the steering column to gain good access to the gear.

Dave

As mentioned before, get some brake clean to clean up the unit, fill the reservoir and start looking for leaks. Check the simple things first like your supply and return hoses. If it is the pitman arm seal , which in my experience is usually the first thing to leak besides a hose, that can be changed while the steering gear is still in the car. If it is the input shaft, the gear must be removed. C-bodies have a little more room under the hood than the B-bodies so it's not too tough to R & R the gear with the motor in the car. A factory service manual is a valuable tool to have now and for future repairs. Good luck and keep us posted.

This is not a rebuilt unit, it is the original

In that case, check the PA valve body on the top of the gear, there are sealing O-Rings under the valve body the go bad with time and leak. If you remove the valve body, be sure to scribe its position as the valve slides up and down to adjust and small changes in the location will make the car self steer. A leak at this location is fairly common as the O-Rings flatten out from being heated and cooled repeatedly and start to leak. Most of the time if the pitman arm or input seal is leaking, it is because there is excessive wear to the seals because the shafts are rocking or have excessive end play. In that case most of the time a rebuild of the steering gear should be considered. If you decide to try and change the pitman seal, the FSM gives detailed instructions on how to do it.

Dave

Back