NOT MINE 1968 Plymouth Fury I 4dr 383 4bbl Commando

68PK21 440.6bbl

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Oh boy just when I was thinking nothing but crap on all the online search engines this pops up. I don't think he knows what he has, or maybe does by the price. I will post up the 'money shot' first.

1968 Plymouth Fury I 4dr 383 4bbl Commando.jpg

My psychic abilities sez it's a PK41 squad that appears to have some bullet holes... a legendary story behind this?

1968 Plymouth Fury I 4dr 383 4bbl Commando.001.jpg

1968 Plymouth Fury I 4dr 383 4bbl Commando.002.jpg

1968 Plymouth Fury I 4dr 383 4bbl Commando.003.jpg

Appears to be a A/C car at one time. <change my mind>

1968 Plymouth Fury I 4dr 383 4bbl Commando.004.jpg

Stupid original ad title. (also stupid mirror)

mopar 383 - $3,250 (edgewood)

model name / number: fury 2 (not?)

1968 Plymouth fury project or great parts car 383 big block .auto 505 <see ad> don't need help selling asking 3250.00 motor and transmission good just needs restored can here run thank you

post id: 7315456488
posted: 2021-05-01 13:31
updated: 2021-05-01 15:13

You a probably very right...thanks for sharing this one!

Your welcome guys. I was a little hesitant to put 'Super Commando' in the title being a 383 but I checked some 1968 reference and a dual exhaust 4bbl 383 is referenced as the Super Commando but with a silenced dual snorkel air cleaner. As original as this car appears to be I wonder if the funky chopped unsilenced air cleaner is original and that maybe this car has the 383 Road Runner 335HP engine? With the police cars we have found over the years pretty much anything is possible. I have read/heard/myth/tall tales over the years that some police engines could be ordered with 'Special Camshafts' and that there was even a code for the fender tag or broadcast sheet.(?)

1968_Plymouth_Engineering0013.jpg

:steering:

Quite a few years ago, an old buddy of mine bought a nice '67 GTX rag top. Really nice black car. Looked to be pretty original. I was looking at the car when he brought it home and hadn't gotten all the way around when he pointed at the rear quarter and here was 4 or 5 .45 size bullet holes. He said he couldn't find out the story other than "someone got a little mad".

Then there's this car...
Elvis shot this car because of a girl

That A pillar hole could be a spot light hole... They did mount them a bit low on those cars.

1966_Plymouth_Fury_Police_car.jpg

18214807384_103467718c_b.jpg

That A pillar hole could be a spot light hole... They did mount them a bit low on those cars.

They had too, The PK squads had a A pillar reinforcement plate welded on the inside to strengthen the A pillar because of the hole for the spotlight shaft. All my PK cars of 1968 & 1977 vintage had them on both sides from the factory even thou all my cars only had the driverside spotlight. I don't know or can't remember if there is a buildsheet code for it like the roof mount light reinforcement or not or if it is just part of the police package. I know my 1977 PK41 Gran Fury's had extra plates welded to the stub frame on both sides top & bottom just back of the A-arms. (frame reinforcement).

I wonder if it has always been a SW car?
If so, was def spec'd by someone with something in mind - either a dealer that knew they could sell it with the AC, or intended as a copcar.
In either case, the rubber trim on the back bumper is odd for a Fury I, and not substantial enough to make it worthwhile to order on a Fury I copcar.
If a copcar, should have those smooth wheels/caps like the bronze car?

And to my understanding, no C-bodies came with the 335hp cam, all were 330hp. Even musclecars with AC got the 330hp cam. And this is a C-body with AC, so definitely would be the 330hp engine. But yes, it's a copcar, so who knows!

And whoever hacked that air cleaner lid cut it so that unfiltered air can sneak in.:realcrazy:

I wonder if it has always been a SW car?
If so, was def spec'd by someone with something in mind - either a dealer that knew they could sell it with the AC, or intended as a copcar.
In either case, the rubber trim on the back bumper is odd for a Fury I, and not substantial enough to make it worthwhile to order on a Fury I copcar.
If a copcar, should have those smooth wheels/caps like the bronze car?

And to my understanding, no C-bodies came with the 335hp cam, all were 330hp. Even musclecars with AC got the 330hp cam. And this is a C-body with AC, so definitely would be the 330hp engine. But yes, it's a copcar, so who knows!

And whoever hacked that air cleaner lid cut it so that unfiltered air can sneak in.:realcrazy:

The lower quarters look pretty rust free with what looks like a little starting on the bottom, but this would need to be eyes on inspection to confirm.
I thought the same on the bumper strip but the lack of other Fury II trim and I enlarged the fender badge and fiddled with the brightness to see if I could make out the Fury II best I could tell is a single I. VIN & FT needs to be seen, As what we have learned pertaining to Mopar cop cars is that you could order or delete pretty much anything you want. This also goes for a retail customer if you get a knowable salesman that wants to take the time to go over all the car options and tick the right boxes on I'll take a very lengthy form rather than just sell 'Lot Cars'. I known several people back in the muscle car days that did that, one person comes to mind is a good old friend that still has a 1969 GTO which (I guess) he traded in his 1967 GTO for... Back in the 80's I use to raze him on "Why" why would you do that, bigger newer 'Chick Magnet'? He still thought it was a good idea, he liked the new body style better I guess. Also I remember someone years ago that were scared of powered windows when they were pretty much a standard item on all cars searching dealers for the model they wanted with wind up windows.:realcrazy:
Remember the rear bumper could of been replace with a boneyard bumper sometime it this cars 50+ years of life. What's more concerning is A/C on a Fury I, it has whats looks to be tinted glass all around, the Chrysler A/C sticker on the RR window, now whether this is a fleet pursuit PK order car or a A38 car only the buildsheet and fender tag will tell.

My deduction on the hubcaps for the 1968 year, I'll say 'moon' vs. bottlecap or 'dogdish', clip wheels vs. lug wheels is that the beginning of 1968 was a production over run of wheels into 1968 from previous years (1968 model built in fall of 67) as I have many historical pictures and some dealer literature showing that the moon clip style hubcaps were used well back into the 1950's and the lug bottlecap/dogdish style first appeared in 1968. Now whether this was a 15" wheel specification only vs. the 14" wheel only the crystal ball could tell. I do know that my first 1968 PK21 had the clip style moon caps for all 5 wheels when I bought the car as 3rd owner in the fall of 1970. My second 1968 PK21 (Maryland State Police unmarked) which I believe I was 3rd owner as I bought it from the father whose son was the titled owner of the car and was in Maryland had the later style bottlecap/dogdish hubcaps on all 4 wheels and had 5 non-clip lug wheels all painted the body color of the car (original), both cars were optioned with the Budd disc brakes and required the 15" wheels. Fender Tag/Buildsheet? I had them on both cars as I pulled the interior to install carpets and a kickazz stereo but being a teenager all those numbers were very cryptic at the time. LOL

All I'll say about the engine is... Someone at the State Police may have said to Chrysler back then "you gotta give us a faster engine, these damn Road Runners are out running us!' :p.

Buy this car and do a little 'Mopar Archaeology' and tear the engine down and if it has the windage tray? Or you could spec the cam (or whats left of it via the air cleaner) If you find it has the RR engine, oh boy that'a make a UTube channel eh? I'm really surprised the AD is still up.

Good catch on the tinted glass and the Airtemp sticker. I noticed the firewall and missed the other obvious clues on AC.

My gut tells me this is a legit original copcar, either ordered as a PK or an A38 (I don't know those 'rules') by someone for that specific purpose. Or some other govt agency.

If that were close to me it would be tempting for sure, would look cool next to my white 68 F3III 2dr.

View attachment 462436
Hope it went to someone that'll big it back to it's former glory.

i am the new owner of this car so we can close this thread. It will not get any work until next year and i will post pics when i am done sometime in 2022.

AA.png
BB.png
CC.jpg
DD.jpg
EE.jpg

Quick story .. seller was nice fella but no electronic means to transact business, difficult to reach with time zone/work schedules ... so the whole long distance thing was not working.

detmatt dealt with a FCBO member in New Mexico, who in turn knew ANOTHER guy (non -member) physically closer to the seller than the member was.

I contacted the member detmatt knew who connected me with the non-member. bada boom, bada bing .. the non member was a SUPER guy and now its in my building awaiting a gentle resto.

I am not gonna talk about what i paid, etc, with respect, so please dont ask. deal got done, so ya gotta assume everybody was happy in the end

it is a genuine New Mexico Statie (broadcast sheet orignal owner shows thiis).

beyond that nothing is known of its duty service or ownership history since it was retired (unknown date, but gotta assume 50+ years ago).

cannot save the original paint, needs serious interior work, some metal replacement .. Super Commando 383 strong as can be/dont smoke a bit. looks that have (except for replaceables) all the hard parts it was born with. it'll get a new home in few years.

moral of this story? naw, its not the cool old statie I got.

people here get criticized a lot for being "whatever" somebody doesn't like. I stay outta those discussions and actually really hate to see stuff devolve in personal attacks -- just agree to disagree and get back to talkin' 'bout cars.

BUT I digress - my point: the overwhelming majority here are honorable, reasonable folks that will help, however, if you ask them. there's MANY more stories like folks doing cool stuff for each othre, rather than the fights that get picked over minor item (IMHO)

even a "stranger" (i.e., new people here) with a reasonable request may get a helping hand from somebody here -- from simple advice to transaction help.

IMHO, thats how the hobby and this site outta work - and does actually -- most of the time.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OK, but I don't see anyway to close the thread and since I'm the OP??? Clicky'd around all the stuff at the top, went to the bottom, yippee I bookmarked it.
Don't think you can mark SOLD her like the regular AD's.
As far as the rest of the post (I hope that wasn't directed at me, oh well if it was) I just wished the pictures worked.

1968 Plymouth Fury I 4dr 383 4bbl Commando.Pictures.Worked.forcbodiesonly.com.jpg

Also.... they real bullet holes? Air Cleaner buzzsaw job? Any story on that?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Car was sold and thread closed by request from the buyer.

Car was sold and thread closed by request from the buyer.

no harm no foul chief. thank you and Joey for bringing it back for a few last posts probably.

i was just hoping to ask OP to mark "SOLD" and I would start a new thread laterr, but wanted to keep the good info in this original thread..

i will still start a new thread on this car later in the year, and this one can take whatever course old threads take :)

OK, but I don't see anyway to close the thread and since I'm the OP??? Clicky'd around all the stuff at the top, went to the bottom, yippee I bookmarked it. on't think you can mark SOLD her like the regular AD's.

As far as the rest of the post (I hope that wasn't directed at me, oh well if it was) I just wished the pictures worked.

View attachment 467795

Also.... they real bullet holes? Air Cleaner buzzsaw job? Any story on that?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

NO sir. I was NOT throwing any shade at you 68PK21 440.6bbl. I was just "ranting" on about different stuff that was buggin me..

Sorry if those comments came off badly .. no slight was intended toward you or anyone in particular

I will work on the pics to se if they can stay up. Bullet holes ARE real (impact marks arr under the sheet metal - no story as to how it happened though), and the butchered air cleaner was a sad sight for me (but working on a few things to take care of that)

:thumbsup:.

Last edited:
Back