1968 Plymouth Fury Texas Highway Patrol

ZedR

Reaction score
I'll Go ahead and start a thread on this for future updates. Still plodding along on my primary restoration project - a 1972 Polara Custom used by the Texas DPS Highway Patrol. That thread is here: http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?9531-1972-Polara-Texas-Highway-Patrol/

(Really need to work on updating that thread while I'm at it. Quite a bit of progress has been made.)

Anyway - Even before I got the Polara, I was specifically searching for a 1968 Fury. Had to be a 68, had to be a Texas Highway Patrol car. Odds were against me to say the least. Finally found one for sale down in Houston.

Driving down this Saturday to seal the deal and pick it up. Seller states that it "last ran 3 - 4 years ago." I won't hold my breath on getting it running, but who knows. Last registered in 2005.

Here's a few pictures I've been sent. It looks rough, but what I see is a car that is mostly unmolested. All the right "stuff" is still there, and pretty original.

imagejpeg_00.jpgimagejpeg_0-12.jpgimagejpeg_0-11.jpgimagejpeg_0-7.jpgimagejpeg_0-6.jpgimagejpeg_0-3.jpgimagejpeg_0-2.jpgimagejpeg_0-1.jpgimagejpeg_0.jpgimagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

imagejpeg_00.jpg

imagejpeg_0-1.jpg

imagejpeg_0-2.jpg

imagejpeg_0-3.jpg

imagejpeg_0-6.jpg

imagejpeg_0-7.jpg

imagejpeg_0-11.jpg

imagejpeg_0-12.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

Wow, that certainly looks like a good car to restore. What strikes me is the unusual hubcaps on the car, I haven't ever seen that type before.

Power steering too, which wasn't yet standard on all of the units they ordered. Original bumpers are MIA, but someone was kind enough to put the front Push Bar and the rear bumper guards in the trunk.

Believe the push bar was shop-made in Austin. Never seen rear bumper guards quite like that either - you can make them out on the pics of the blue fury above. No rubber on 'em, just chrome and a single attaching bolt through the middle.

Wow, that certainly looks like a good car to restore. What strikes me is the unusual hubcaps on the car, I haven't ever seen that type before.

It's my understanding that these hubcaps were a fleet/police only item through most of the 60s. Required a special wheel with clips to hold the cap on.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's my understanding that these hubcaps were a fleet/police only item through most of the 60s. Required a special wheel with clips to hold the cap on.
I had a car from the late 40's that had caps that went on just like that. I'm surprised that any car companies were still producing caps and wheels to that design in the late 60's.

I changed a ton of Mopar wheels during those years and those wheels sure look like they are from the fifties or earlier.
Plus there would have been a corporate logo on them I am guessing?

I changed a ton of Mopar wheels during those years and those wheels sure look like they are from the fifties or earlier.
Plus there would have been a corporate logo on them I am guessing?

I really know nothing about them, other than what little info I've gleaned from the internet...all of the in-service vehicles I posted above seems to be wearing the same wheels and hubcaps, as do these from various points in the 60's:

66fury.JPG1962fury.jpg10984047_808259285907807_2455170963341516917_n.jpg1203121013.jpg

And what is left of this '68 Texas DPS fury is sporting them as well:

Picture 018.jpg

66fury.JPG

1962fury.jpg

10984047_808259285907807_2455170963341516917_n.jpg

1203121013.jpg

Picture 018.jpg

I really know nothing about them, other than what little info I've gleaned from the internet...all of the in-service vehicles I posted above seems to be wearing the same wheels and hubcaps, as do these from various points in the 60's:

View attachment 60327View attachment 60328View attachment 60329View attachment 60330

And what is left of this '68 Texas DPS fury is sporting them as well:

View attachment 60331
Then you're right.
Texas only thing?
Can't remember seeing them. Argghhhh.
Thanks for the knock on the noggin.
And the pics lol.

Who else from texas has a 440 68 Fury, Hmm...oh yea Jason. He seemed to have disappeared.

22 Texas counties served out of Waco. Don't you know that some (all?) of those cars got some serious miles on them in their service days. They got some big, long roads out here!

I did a Google Earth "Street view" of this stretch in TX.
Jeeszes! This is an absolute barren anddesolate stretch of road with not even a shrub for these poor guys to hide behind. Or under when it's 100° out.
attachment.php

I did a Google Earth "Street view" of this stretch in TX.
Jeeszes! This is an absolute barren anddesolate stretch of road with not even a shrub for these poor guys to hide behind. Or under when it's 100° out.
attachment.php

Yep, that road is some rough country down in that region. no where to run - and in those days no a/c

Did a bit more research on the hubcaps. While I can't find a corresponding picture, I believe the part # is 1943 733.

I found it listed in the 1961 thru 1968 parts books.

Description in the 1968 Parts Book is "Cap, P, D, w/ 15" Wheels (Plain)" Under Fury Monaco Polara and Chrysler.

It is not listed in the 1969 Book that I can find.

Here's a Nevada Highway Patrol Polara, and a 62 CHP Chrysler wearing the caps. Seems like there should be more info about them

chpnewport1-vi.jpgNVHP1967dodgerear.jpg

chpnewport1-vi.jpg

NVHP1967dodgerear.jpg

I wonder if that was the standard 15" wheel of the era? My '66 300 came with 4 of them. The correct Disc Brake hubcaps don't contact those clips at all. They scream 'dog dish'.

That '62 is one sweet looking ride.

Last edited:
I believe so, yes.

Here's an alternate view, blown up. Looks like 0-80 to me.

Can't seem to find it in the parts manual. We'll get a better look saturday :)

Untitled.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

Back