1968 plymouth sport fury windshield chrome clips

440sportfury

Reaction score
Hello
Just a quick question I have a 1968 Plymouth sport fury convertible I have been restoring.The body shop for whatever reason removed all of the clips from the winshield frame and never bothered to bag them so now that the car is painted they do not have a clue were anything is or how to put the chrome back on. I bought new winshield correct gasket I just need to buy new winshield clips for the chrome. Does anyone know where I can purchase these or if they are interchangeable I found ones for 1968 belvedere that look exactly the same. Also they need to replace the boot trim which appears to have a galvanized looking piece that goes under the trim does anyone know if this requires any special clips or does it just screw in the body. I know the boot trim screws in with the snap srews. I wish at this point I would of just removed the chrome myself in this day of cell cameras it would of been to easy to snap a few photos and place the parts in marked bags especially at the price there charging. Its been there for 3 years now. Its seems my story as ridiculous as it sounds is more the norm
clkip.png
clkip.png
Thank You

I'm not the perfect expert on this but there should be small pins every so often almost 6" apart.
These clips would attach to the pins and then the windshield trim attaching to the clips.
Test out by having a look at how the clips hold the trim into place then find those pins and go from there...

I'm not the perfect expert on this but there should be small pins every so often almost 6" apart.
These clips would attach to the pins and then the windshield trim attaching to the clips.
Test out by having a look at how the clips hold the trim into place then find those pins and go from there...

Go to: www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=Glass

They have every clip you can think of.

Dave

Hello
Just a quick question I have a 1968 Plymouth sport fury convertible I have been restoring.The body shop for whatever reason removed all of the clips from the winshield frame and never bothered to bag them so now that the car is painted they do not have a clue were anything is or how to put the chrome back on. I bought new winshield correct gasket I just need to buy new winshield clips for the chrome. Does anyone know where I can purchase these or if they are interchangeable I found ones for 1968 belvedere that look exactly the same. Also they need to replace the boot trim which appears to have a galvanized looking piece that goes under the trim does anyone know if this requires any special clips or does it just screw in the body. I know the boot trim screws in with the snap srews. I wish at this point I would of just removed the chrome myself in this day of cell cameras it would of been to easy to snap a few photos and place the parts in marked bags especially at the price there charging. Its been there for 3 years now. Its seems my story as ridiculous as it sounds is more the norm View attachment 196329 View attachment 196329 Thank You

One of the joys of trying to find competent folks to work on older cars. Today's techs are trained to do computer diagnostics. Bring them a car with no computer and you get a lots of dumb looks and pud whacking.
Most of today's body shops do not even do traditional body work any more. They replace panels and paint them. Today's body panels are plastic, aluminum or sheet metal that is too thin to "work". The concept of a single stage paint job is completely foreign to them. So, I guess it is no great surprise in an era when everything is mostly glued together that mounting clips would not be saved.

Dave

Last edited:
One of the joys of trying to find competent folks to work on older cars. Today's techs are trained to do computer diagnostics. Bring thebeenm a car with no computer and you get a lots of dumb looks and pud whacking.
Most of today's body shops do not even do traditional body work any more. The replace panels and paint them. Today's body panels are plastic, aluminum or sheet metal that is too thin to "work". The concept of a single stage paint job is completely foreign to them. So, I guess it is no great surprise in an era when everything is mostly glued together that mounting clips would not be saved.

Dave
You are 100% correct the shop are local and good friends of the family. They did a wonderful job painting it but now when it is at the stage of putting it back together they are lost. Me and my 16yo son went there today for 3hrs and did more work than they did in the last 3 weeks. They even installed the bullet turn signals on backwards. The language barrier which I think is very selective don.t help either. If my back wasn't so bad I would of better doing it myself. In the 3yrs they have it I could of went to school and learned how to paint. If I wasn,t friends with the owners I would of pulled it out of there. Its just a sticky situation. The old sayin my dad told me of not doing business with friends was true. To bad I always thought I knew more than him. When I became a father and lost my dad I finally realized how smart he was and how not I was.

My 68 Polara 2dr ht screw into the frame.
Your pictures of clips look very close to mine, but my front window trim uses two different ones on the front window. 8 upper clips with one p/n and 10 lower.

Your parts manual is your best friend here. Have noted that my Polara is the same as the Fury I P-E. My assumption is that your car could use the same clips , but possibly in different quantities.

Just checked the manual. your sport fury convertible is the same as the Polara 2 dr ht for ft window clips.
Items 10 & 11. In the pic.
Mine are green like yours and also blue. I can’t find my clips right now to know which are upper and which are lower.
image.jpg
image.jpg

My 68 Polara 2dr ht screw into the frame.
Your pictures of clips look very close to mine, but my front window trim uses two different ones on the front window. 8 upper clips with one p/n and 10 lower.

Your parts manual is your best friend here. Have noted that my Polara is the same as the Fury I P-E. My assumption is that your car could use the same clips , but possibly in different quantities.
Thank You very much You would think I would be smart enough to buy the parts catalog I am definitely picking one up. I spoke to Jeff at 521 restorations he was very nice and I think Im set thank you for your time and suggestions. Frank

Thank You so much for your time and suggestions Hopefully the clips I got from 521 do the job. if not Im going to follow your suggestion Thank You Frank
You are 100% correct the shop are local and good friends of the family. They did a wonderful job painting it but now when it is at the stage of putting it back together they are lost. Me and my 16yo son went there today for 3hrs and did more work than they did in the last 3 weeks. They even installed the bullet turn signals on backwards. The language barrier which I think is very selective don.t help either. If my back wasn't so bad I would of better doing it myself. In the 3yrs they have it I could of went to school and learned how to paint. If I wasn,t friends with the owners I would of pulled it out of there. Its just a sticky situation. The old sayin my dad told me of not doing business with friends was true. To bad I always thought I knew more than him. When I became a father and lost my dad I finally realized how smart he was and how not I was.
It drives me crazy I have a pretty bad spinal injury which limits what and how much I can do when I was younger I would of done it myself and I would know I did it write. You don't mind paying the money if they did the job right. Its almost as your car is a hostage and their going fix it there way even thought your the one paying the bill its a shame hopefully more kids get into the hobby and the business of doing things the right way not the easy way. Thank You very much

those clips pictured above are the same as my 65 fury front windshield trim clips. I have quite a few spare here but Ive noticed you can buy them new now at Vans Autos

Back