1968 Sports Fury

Joseph James

Reaction score
I posted some pics of the car in welcome wagon.

It has had stumbling issues. The intake had leaks so I replaced it. It didn’t fix the problem, but there were rust holes in the valley, so it needed it.

Pulled the carb yesterday. Carter BBD with 9/68 date code. Someone left a piece of a nail in the float bowl and the check ball under the accelerator pump was missing.

Now, I get no fuel. Pulled sending unit. Used a piece of wire and solvent to clear. Had rust in it.

Still no gas. I find fuel line under rocker panel with a rubber splice that was completely rotted out. Replaced with more rubber until I can get a new fuel line.

Still no gas. My guess is the rest of the fuel line has clogs.

I ran gas through bowl vent and the engine sounds fine so far.

It does sound like a new fuel line is in order. What I do in situations like this is to disconnect the fuel line going into the fuel pump, and run a long fuel line hose into a separate can. This way you can get the engine running fine while you order the new lines. I replaced the one on my 1966 300 with a set from Inline tube. They fit like a glove and cured a lot of problems.

Found another hole in the gas line. Actually, several pin holes before a bend near the tank, between the shocks. Looks like I’m stopped until I get a new fuel line.

Found another hole in the gas line. Actually, several pin holes before a bend near the tank, between the shocks. Looks like I’m stopped until I get a new fuel line.
If you order them from Inline Tube you could have them next weekemd. You can get them in regular steel or stainless steel as you order them and they are made and shipped the next day.

Pulled the fuel line out today. Going to pull the fuel tank tomorrow. Fuel tank gets a look over, cleaning and dealing with rust on the tank and above the tank. May try some rust converter.

4FE3790D-04A0-4C91-B174-DB44BD67AA0B.jpeg

0152348B-5EDD-4536-AB46-2D0BBA0ED7E2.jpeg
074DFF5A-F3B7-489D-A816-81C43CAC5583.jpeg
Fuel tank before and after rust converter. The before is the top side. It’s still shiny because of the pad that is over it.

I am trying out truck spray on bed liner for the under coating and the gas tank.

Gas tank has 2 very small holes in the top of the tank. Going to epoxy them.

So, today I sprayed half of the fuel tank and the underside of the trunk with the bed liner.

The metal behind the bumper may have to be replaced. It looks really bad.

Parts arrived. Fuel tank straps, sending unit and thermostat. Should have the fuel line tomorrow.

Fuel tank is back in, new fuel line from Inline is installed.

Engine runs rough.
This is the bad part of old fuel and rust, you should replace the fuel pump, and filter and see if it gets better, but don't be surprised if you have to overhaul the carb.

New carb from rockauto arrived along with plug wires.

Turned over four times and fired right up. No priming.

Lots of valvetrain noise when cold and smoke. Smoke finally cleared up. Running best it has so far.

I have no way to check timing, so I am taking it Thursday to the guy who rebuilt the transmission in my Ford Transit. An old time mechanic. He’s going to tune and let me know what he thinks about engine condition.

First time drive was Thursday morning. I had the only old Mopar on the road that day.

Steering has some play, but this is the first non rack and pinion car I have driven in years.

Third gear wouldn’t engage when I hit the interstate. I put it in second and it cruised along fine at 60.

My wife followed me and said it smoked less when I was accelerating.

So, now I’m waiting on the old mechanic to call me.

Mechanic says two worn out cylinders. It’s smoking worse now than it was. I’m shopping for an engine.

Back