1968 Tilt/Tele Colum disassembly ??

sprice

Reaction score
Hello all, would anybody have any experience in splitting a til/tel column from a 1968 New Yorker. I am placing into a floor shift convert and would like to remove all the shift parts not needed. I have a service manual but is not much details and think some bottom parts are missing. Thanks,

I am quite familiar with these columns... They are AC/Delco sourced for Chrysler, and share much of their internals with the GM full size cars. More info is available through the GM clubs. With the exception of the rag joint, rag joint heat shield and the floor pan locating plate, parts do not interchange with Mopar non-tilt/tele columns.

That being said, the disassembly of the column to get rid of the shift stuff is very difficult, with specific (hard to find) tools for removing the upper and lower column covers.

The lower column cover with the shift handle is near impossible to remove, and you'll need a non-shift one from another tilt/tele to convert yours - so why bother?

While rare, they are out there. Keep looking and you will find a floor shift column.

My advice is don't try to convert a column shift one - you'll likely not be successful and if you manage to complete the conversion you'll likely not be pleased cosmetically.

Ross is right. They are GM produced. I haven't removed one completely but merely tore one apart. Never again. There are bigger things to worry about on these cars than the damn shifter. But that's just me. Worst case, drive the pin out from the column shift arm, and remove the linkage and be done.

Hi Ross and DasBoot,

Both your advice is well heeded. After investigating further with these comments (and both are correct) I have taken another route. Hopefully I remember to take pictures but what I have decided to do, and started is 1) to cut the protrusion off the shift collar and 2)welded the shift shaft to the "1" or lowest position on the column. Shift collar is now solid. Will be cleaning and lubing internals as best I can. Then sealing cut-out for shift lever with aluminum filler weld, sand whole unit, fill where necessary, prime and paint. So far, looks easier than anticipated. If anybody knows how they painted these columns, would be interesting. The collar behind the steering wheel is steel. Shifter column is aluminum. On the unit I have, you cannot scratch either. What and how did they apply the paint to be almost indestructible?

Thanks again.

Back