SOLD 1969 15" MoPar Kelsey Hayes Cast Road wheels - complete, original set. Unrestored !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

odcics2

Reaction score
Contact seller
I have an original set of 4 Kelsey Hayes Cast Road wheels, 15 x 6, for the 69 C body cars, including the original centers, trim tings and lug nuts. These have never been repainted. A survivor set!
Tires are vintage GoodYear Blue Streak Radials with plenty of rubber. $4,500. Located N. of Detroit. PM please.

MoPar 1969 cast road wheels - survivor set all original.jpg

I have an original set of 4 Kelsey Hayes Cast Road wheels, 15 x 6, for the 69 C body cars, including the original centers, trim tings and lug nuts. These have never been repainted. A survivor set!
Tires are vintage GoodYear Blue Streak Radials with plenty of rubber. $4,500. Located N. of Detroit. PM please.

Man, Those are the only correct road wheels for 69 C bodys. I'd love to have that set for Jazebelle.
Do my current, (later road wheels) have any trade value....? LOL.

Will.

painted wheels 2 (Large).jpg

When my car was ordered in '69, it had those wheels on it. When having warranty work done the dealership changed them to road wheels, without telling the owner until he went to pick it up. He was quite ticked off and wanted the old rims back, and the dealer told him they were destroyed and he couldn't have them back because of the safety factor. That's what the original owners son told me when I got the car, after I asked about the '70 rims on a '69 car. Damn.

Does anyone know what the safety issue with those rims is supposed to be?

My recollection was there was supposed to be a tendency for the lug nuts to come loose unless they were retightened after driving some initial miles after installation. I think it was some misguided worry about nothing, but maybe someone remembers more about those. I thought they were great looking wheels and I would use them if I had a set and recheck the lug nut torque a couple times until I was convinced one way or the other.

Steve

Does anyone know what the safety issue with those rims is supposed to be?

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2007/05/01/hmn_feature27.html

https://www.automd.com/recall/campaign_c64226/
[h=1]1969 Chrysler Chrysler Wheels Recall 68V089000[/h] NHTSA: Action Number: N/A Service Bulletin Number: 68V089000

• Report Date:
    Sep 23, 1968
  • Component:
    Wheels
  • Potential Units Affected:
  • Manufacturer:
    Chrysler Corporation

Summary:

Consequence:

Remedy:

Notes: Possibility that lug nuts may work loose during operation on vehicles equipped with sales code w-23 cast center road wheels. (correct by replacing 15" wheels with 14" chrome wheels. ) all wheels to be changed before delivery to customers.

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mw873.html

1969 MOPAR 15" X 8" W23 WARRIOR WHEEL SET WITH 5 X 4-1/2" BOLT PATTERN - Continued

Originally offered as the W23 option in 1969 the "recall wheel" were installed on various Dodge and Plymouth models. These Warrior-style replacement wheels are modeled after the original recall wheel and feature a correctly textured graphite center, with machined openings to expose the aluminum and a chrome rim to give it a modern look.
This set is sold complete with aluminum center caps and specific shouldered lug nuts.
Specifications:
  • Wheel size: 15" x 8"
  • Bolt pattern: 5 x 4-1/2"
  • Backspacing: 4-1/2"
Click here to learn how to measure Wheel Backspacing, Wheel Offset or Bolt Pattern.
Important: Wheels must be used with the lug nuts provided. Wheels include LH thread lug nuts as original.
Note: Shipped overweight.
The "Recall Wheel" story:
  • The W23 option code cast road wheels were originally offered by Kelsey Hayes through Chrysler on 1969 model year Dodge and Plymouth vehicles. On September 13th 1968 a recall was sent out by Chrysler to dealerships for these wheels. Due to the cast aluminum center of this wheel, lug nuts were prone to come loose, posing significant danger to drivers of these vehicles and others.The "Recall"wheels gained popularity quickly and the few sets of wheels that never made it back to Chrysler now command a high premium from enthusiasts.

[h=1]MW873 - 1969 MOPAR 15" X 8" W23 WARRIOR WHEEL SET WITH 5 X 4-1/2" BOLT PATTERN[/h]
Originally offered as the W23 option in 1969 the "recall wheel" were installed on various Dodge and Plymouth models. These Warrior-style replacement wheels are modeled after the original recall wheel and feature a correctly textured graphite center, with machined openings to expose the aluminum and a chrome rim to give it a modern look.
This set is sold complete with aluminum center caps and specific shouldered lug nuts.
Specifications:
  • Wheel size: 15" x 8"
  • Bolt pattern: 5 x 4-1/2"
  • Product #: MW873

Out Of Stock!

MSRP: $1704.99 set
Classic: $1549.99 set

Actually, all the original cast wheels were 15 x 6 wide. NEVER 8"!!! 8" won't let you turn the front and may rub on certain applications in the back, depending on tier selection.
The repops don't meet OEM specs. They are also not the exact texture and color, which is important to some guys.

My set is used and have NOT ONE CRACK in any of them. Back in the day, not all of them would do it... But a few did, hence the recall. The build dates of mine are July 11 for one pair and July 13 for the other 2.
I have seen cracked ones in the past and know where to look...

I'm wondering how many sets were removed because of the recall only to make their way onto the dealer employee's cars.

Chrysler knew how many were out there and the dealers would have to get the credit for returning them and installing standard steel wheels. I'd think that it was more likely that owners didn't bring the car back because they liked them!
Did you know that "C" Bodies had the most installed from the factory? And since "C" Body owners were usually older, most got returned. Older folks tend to respond to recalls! So, I'm sure a few "lucky" employees stole a set and didn't get caught!

bluefury361 - PM returned.

I almost wanna buy a 69 Polara of Sport Fury just to be able to buy these wheels...they are cool.

Were you the one with the want ad for these on Craigslist in Rochester?

Getting the car for These Kind of rims is the cheaper part. ;)

Chris' Trailer should have them actually to make it to the eternal no. 1 on the FCBO suck list.

I don't believe recall wheels were "sought out or stolen" by dealer mechanics or employees in 1969. Why in the world would anyone want wheels that were coming loose and falling off off of cars and recalled by Ma Mopar??? I'm sure those people seen cars or pictures of cars with a "recall wheel" that came off the car. Probably not pretty.Besides there was only less than 700 sets puts on cars. The surviving wheels were probably on Elmer Fudd owned cars and those original owners probably never knew they should of had them replaced by the dealer.

Plus.....young mechanics or employees probably were digging hot A, B, and E body cars back in the day as I did! Back in the day........I couldn't even identify Chrysler C's or an Imperial. Those were old fart cars!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back