1969 300 Convertible Resurrection

PrestonUSA1

Reaction score
Good Morning FCBO,

OK, I have the time finally. I am putting my 300 back together. BIG question! The motor is stock and needs a rebuild. Should I get a crate motor or rebuild the original? I am not going to be keeping the car all original (tires, wheels, stereo, brakes (need disks), headers, etc.). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Preston

They are only original once, that being said if your intent is to personalize it for your own tastes do what make you happy.
It's YOUR car enjoy it!

Good Morning FCBO,

OK, I have the time finally. I am putting my 300 back together. BIG question! The motor is stock and needs a rebuild. Should I get a crate motor or rebuild the original? I am not going to be keeping the car all original (tires, wheels, stereo, brakes (need disks), headers, etc.). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Preston

If the engine from the car is original, in my opinion, you would be way ahead getting it rebuilt. You would also be in control as to how the engine is rebuilt and the parts used to do it. If you don't go too crazy with a lot of modifications, and with the original engine in place, it would be easier (and significantly more valuable) for the next caretaker to put the car back to original.

I just went through this whole scenario with my '66 300 convertible. Car came to me with a non-original 383, and it took me two years to find a correct 440, which I had a local machine shop rebuild. This was a $5000 bump in the restoration road for me. . .

From my experience rebuild what you have. Keeping the original motor will add to your cars resale value. Unless it has had catastrophic failure in my opinion using the original engine is the way to go. You didn't mention if the current engine runs, if in good condition ,that's the way to go. With your original motor as base to build from your results w/ mild mods should be good drivability w/ a highly reliable engine for many miles of driving. Be wary of crate motors, quality and craftmanship are more often than not a engine that lasts just 20000 to 30000 miles w/ problems w/ oil consumption and leaks a common ailment. Warranties may not cover all costs involved. A good engine build will last well over 100000 miles w/ good service. As to finding a good engine builder are membership here can help you w/ who to chose as builder in your area. If you have any questions PM me.

I'd rebuild the original motor. Why? Price. Depending on how much you do yourself, a rebuild will run you in the neighborhood of $2,500. I have not seen a 440 crate motor for less than $5000 in years.

I also own a 69 300 convertible. I had my original motor rebuilt as it's just my personal preference to keep the car fairly original and cut costs. I did replace the original carburetor with a Edelbrock in place of the Carter only because I wanted an electric choke though I still have the original. I would speculate that a numbers matching car would be more desirable should you ever want to sell it. Good luck and have fun with your project.

Rebuild original motor.
A 440 in a big tank you should be able to get away with a hone and re-ring.
If you can use your pistons that saves a ton of money in labour and parts.
You can upgrade the cam one step from stock and install hardened valve seats in the heads and install new valves.
For comparison a 440 can cost 2500.00 to rebuild..Cheaper and more common than a 383 rebuild. I did both so I know....cheers

Is $2500 still a realistic cost for a stock rebuild? I was quoted that as well a few years ago and that is what the budget can withstand at the moment.

Is $2500 still a realistic cost for a stock rebuild? I was quoted that as well a few years ago and that is what the budget can withstand at the moment.

James: When I had my 440 engine rebuilt, it required a .030 overbore (with new pistons, etc .), new complete Comp cam kit and a full valve job with all new exhaust valves. The shop that did the work also sublet a carburetor and distributor rebuild for it. I paid between $4000 and $4500 for all of this work. This is supposed to have been a "deal", which I think it was.

It probably depends on how much you are doing. Also a factor is if you are dealing with a well known shop or just some shade tree mechanic. If you are dropping off parts at the machine shop and picking them up while doing disassembly and assembly yourself then the $2500 is maybe doable.

Yes i should have mentioned that my 2500 440 rebuild did consist of me and a friend doung all the teardown and assembly

If you do the disassembly and reassembly yourself you will save big bucks. If you drop the motor off at a shop and have them do it, they will; and charge you for it.

If you do the disassembly and reassembly yourself you will save big bucks. If you drop the motor off at a shop and have them do it, they will; and charge you for it.
The Boab's 383 required boring. So I dropped the motor off in a million pieces. 5200 dollars later I picked it up assembled.

The Boab's 383 required boring. So I dropped the motor off in a million pieces. 5200 dollars later I picked it up assembled.
It's almost been ten years now, but my Son and I tore down the 401 we propped into his Gremlin. It was machined, balanced, and new parts purchased by Reynolds' Machine of Bakersfield. We picked all the parts up and put them back together. $2,500 for the machining and parts. When we picked everything up, the owner said, "I thought I'd never find a motor that cost more than a Mopar to machine; I was wrong." Ha!!

20150711_105812.jpg

Back