1969 300 OEM wheel size

GBsPanhead

Reaction score
Guys, trust me, I've been doing my research, looking for OEM wheel sizes for my '69 300. My head is spinning from doing a 3 piece wheel build on my SL55. OMG!

Anyway, that SL project is done. Now working on some wheels for the 300. I currently have 15x8 Magnums on there now. I picked up some proper 15" OEM hubcaps last year from a member here. Running stock drums all 4 corners. Have the parts to do a drum to disc conversion, but for just cruisin' on weekends, drums are fine for now.

I believe stock is 15x6 4.5 bolt pattern? What is a safe offset/backspacing? 4, maybe 4.5, and what are stock tire sizes?

I've checked out Wheel Vintiques, but want to make sure I get the right ones for OEM 15" hubcaps, not the poverty/dog style caps. Or...would hubcaps also work on that style wheel that accepts the poverty caps? I know some Ford wheels also work, but want to keep it stock with old OEM wheels, but probably end up getting repop's in correct size...if I know the correct size! Please advise me. Thanks!!

I’d agree with 15x6 wheels.

ford steel wheels center holes are too small to fit over the center register on a mopar.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.co...ershipDataBook/1969/69_Chrysler_Specs0024.jpg

upload_2020-10-27_19-20-36.png

upload_2020-10-27_19-20-48.png

I believe 4” was the stock backspacing for a 6” wheel and 4 1/4” typical for a 7” wide wheel.

I have some 1968 15X6 wheels here, I’ll measure.

EDIT: I measured the wheel. So a 6” wheel is 7” to the outside of the rim lips. So the backspace is 4” to rear 3” To front.

I didn’t read you wanted a photo, but a 68 wheel looks different than a 69 at the lug nut area, smooth on a 69, wavy on a 68.

Last edited:
Check the recommended rim width for the tires you plan to use.
Many of the new radial sizes I looked at showed a 6” rim width as the absolute minimum. Meaning the tire is really squeezed on the rim. Reducing he actual width of the tire.
And any reputable tire shop will not install tires against the recommended size wheel.
My car had std. 14x5.5” rims and anything offered today was way too skinny looking for that car.

One thing you might try is just slapping those full wheel covers over your magnum 500’s. Unless you’re worried about scratching the chrome you can install wheel covers on most any rim that can accept a trim ring. I’ve put full covers over magnum 500’s and other styled steel wheels my whole life. It really changes the look of the car with no hassles.

Makes it real easy if you don’t care what’s under the wheel cover. Fast easy fix for the sometimes complicated problem of finding wider ( 7” ) plain steel wheels.

Some covers are awfully deep. I’m thinking the 66 Charger/Monaco cover with the spinner.

Yah my magnum 500’s are 14x8 and the covers fit because I have shallow center caps & no wheel weights on the cover side. Kinda opposite of the 7” cragars on an A body. It sucks but with those you have to put the weights on the outside lip or ball joints knock them off. Good luck man!

99108E03-3CF5-4747-888E-36B284331BE8.jpeg

I bet those are super shallow with the center of the wheel pushed all the way to the outside of the rim. They may be front driver wheels which have crazy wrong for your application offsets.

Have you considered later, factory M body steel wheels? They're 15x7, accept hubcaps, and fit fuselages perfectly! Available from scrapyards, swaps, and of course, the internets.

Have you considered later, factory M body steel wheels? They're 15x7, accept hubcaps, and fit fuselages perfectly! Available from scrapyards, swaps, and of course, the internets.

I'm actually headed to the local scrap yard in a few minutes! I was laying in bed thinking about the wheels this morning, and thought to myself why I haven't checked! Thanks!!

I'm actually headed to the local scrap yard in a few minutes! I was laying in bed thinking about the wheels this morning, and thought to myself why I haven't checked! Thanks!!
This is the way to go...all M bodies 80-89 came standard with 15x7 rims. Last set I got was $25 from the wrecker (all 4). Don't have to worry about offset or anything.

200 bucks! Good deal? Mopar 15x6.5. He's says they are 5x4.25. Is that possible? Thought 5x4.5. His tape measure is off center it look like.
Screenshot_20201101-082849_OfferUp.jpg
Screenshot_20201101-083047_OfferUp.jpg

Screenshot_20201101-083414_OfferUp.jpg

Last edited:
Back