1969 300 Passenger Mirror Repair

1969/300

Reaction score
The passenger mirror has a "wobble" as in it doesn't stay put where you adjust it.

How do I remove the mirror from the housing on the car and tighten things up?

I have a vid I could email if that would be helpful. I can't figure out how to attach it to this post

Thanks!

How about just screwing the mirror into the holder. Mine was loose and this tightened it up for me. Just put your fingers against the mirror and twist to the right. Hope this helps.

Thanks.
So there are threads inside? I thought it was just a ball and socket that had become loose over time.

Mirror.jpeg

The pin with the ball at the one end might have come lose and you might be able to screw it back in by twisting the mirror glass. However, that it is far less likely than the piece of spring steel (which presses against the ball) in the round mirror base plate having come lose at one end. Most likely you'll have to VERY CAREFULLY pry the glass off of its round base plate and thereby gain access to said piece of spring steel, and the other inards of the mirror assembly.

Thanks All, I appreciate your replies.
I circle back w results and some pics for future reference

So I heated the mirror and it broke on it's way out. Whatever. The glass was held in by 3 blobs of silicone type adhesive.
There is a clip that has what look like rivets on both sides that press up against the ball to provide friction so the mirror stays where you want it. One of mine came loose so I drilled it out and put in a new rivet. All fixed once I get the new mirror glass.
Really a strange design that does not lend itself to an easy fix.

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

Back