1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible 440 V8
00k0k_dbKQXagmcQp_600x450.jpg

00E0E_jIJjRSosFC_600x450.jpg

01515_eq8H3FXDho8_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_g3eYA9pTu1L_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_45vTd8ij2UP_600x450.jpg

00s0s_cKm6q8VRK5O_600x450.jpg

00k0k_8d83YLpeylI_600x450.jpg

I am selling my rare, numbers matching, 1969 Chrysler 300 two-door convertible. This beautiful collector's car has 66,544 actual miles and I have a copy of the original title. This car is in very good condition and all original. It has had one professional repaint in the stock Chrysler "Tuscan Bronze". It has a white power convertible top which works perfectly; the rear back window is glass not plastic. All body lines are beautiful! The chrome bumpers are original and bright; all chrome trim is original. It has the stock "hide away" headlights in working order. The interior is also stock and in very nice condition. The seats have no rips or tears. The carpet looks like new. The dash has no cracks and is in excellent condition; interior trim is original. The horn works as does the heater. This car has the stock 440 cu.in. V8 engine with 350 horsepower and runs great! The automatic transmission shifts nice and smooth. The trunk is in good condition, as well as the floors, frame, etc. All lights, turn signals, and windshield wipers work. I have the stock Chrysler 300 hub caps (stored in the trunk) and new magnum 500 wheels with BF Goodrich radial TAs. I have also installed a new radiator, new dual exhaust, and polished (alum.) Mopar valve covers (originals in trunk). This beautiful eye-catching convertible is licensed and registered and driven weekly, mostly to car shows or just for a Sunday cruise!

Are the rear springs sagging or are the torsion bars cranked up too high? It appears to have a stance of an old Ford Mustang.

not mine
1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible 440 V8
View attachment 148600
View attachment 148601
View attachment 148602
View attachment 148603
View attachment 148604
View attachment 148605
View attachment 148606
I am selling my rare, numbers matching, 1969 Chrysler 300 two-door convertible. This beautiful collector's car has 66,544 actual miles and I have a copy of the original title. This car is in very good condition and all original. It has had one professional repaint in the stock Chrysler "Tuscan Bronze". It has a white power convertible top which works perfectly; the rear back window is glass not plastic. All body lines are beautiful! The chrome bumpers are original and bright; all chrome trim is original. It has the stock "hide away" headlights in working order. The interior is also stock and in very nice condition. The seats have no rips or tears. The carpet looks like new. The dash has no cracks and is in excellent condition; interior trim is original. The horn works as does the heater. This car has the stock 440 cu.in. V8 engine with 350 horsepower and runs great! The automatic transmission shifts nice and smooth. The trunk is in good condition, as well as the floors, frame, etc. All lights, turn signals, and windshield wipers work. I have the stock Chrysler 300 hub caps (stored in the trunk) and new magnum 500 wheels with BF Goodrich radial TAs. I have also installed a new radiator, new dual exhaust, and polished (alum.) Mopar valve covers (originals in trunk). This beautiful eye-catching convertible is licensed and registered and driven weekly, mostly to car shows or just for a Sunday cruise!
are there any rust/structural issues with the rear section? maybe frame rails or springs? thanks.

For that asking price he could've invested a couple hours work and put a pair of $60 Gabriel air shocks on, then we wouldn't be having this discussion, and the car would look great.

For that asking price he could've invested a couple hours work and put a pair of $60 Gabriel air shocks on, then we wouldn't be having this discussion, and the car would look great.
true, but do you think actual structural damage could cause this? (sorry, another question from the amateur)

Air shocks would insult a potential buyer, a simple band aid is all they are . Leave it as is and I will replace the springs and shocks if I'm that interested.

Wouldn't insult me if you were upfront about it. Put it in the write up. At least it wouldn't look so sorry in the ad photos. Look what we're talking about instead of the color, the saggy springs.
I've got them on my NYB. Put them on the spring, after last year's trip to Carlisle and loading all that crap in the trunk, I didn't like it's stance when it was loaded. So I put them on and it looks like new again. I figure what the hell, the air level suspension was an option anyway.

Air shocks are used as a cheap remedy to a saggy ***. I'm fine with it sagging, at 48 years old I expect nothing more from those springs. I personally expect to swap them out on all my vintage stuff within the 1st year of ownership.

Shock absorbers are not designed to support weight, (as I have said before), that's the springs job. Serious damage to the upper shock mount can and will result over time. The factory "air level suspension" was designed with this issue in mind.
DO NOT rely on air shocks to lift a car for long periods of time.

Being in my late 50's I also have a saggy rear end and all that the air shocks did was to divert the attention to the shocks themselves never alone the hideous look of the air valve and tubing needed to blow air into my whoo-haa !!!!!!

When I got my '70 Monaco, it had seen "trailer service" and rear "load leveler" shocks had been installed on it. It still sat low in the back. I put some Gabriel HiJackers on and got it leveled with about 60psi. AND, surprise, it went around corners better! NO long term problems, either.

My '80 Newport had seen "trailer service" and the prior owner had put Monroe air shocks on it. I put a new pair on it when I got it, 20 years ago. NO problems, even with the exposed air bag.

To me, one of the good things about air shocks is that they are "HD" shocks with 1.375" pistons, just like the HD shocks of old.

Getting rear leaf springs re-arched seems to be problematic, to me. The one spring shop I've seen do it used to do it by heating the metal red hot in a kiln, then putting it on "a fixture" to re-bend/arc it, then quenching it in cool water. In more recent times, they use a hydraulic tool to force the spring to bend in 3" segments (cold pressed). Is that arch the same for all springs or just the ones with symmetrically-located rear axle pads? As new springs "settle", might the re-done ones or new ones (too light) not end up in the same place as the "sagged" ones?

Air shocks might be a band-air fix, but I'll take that over spending more money on springs that might not work correctly OR sit too high. Not worried about putting more weight in the back than the rear suspension can handle, just levelling the ride height. PLUS keeping the rear suspension off of the "bumpers" with a 5 passenger load!

Between that "stance" and the convertible top, it looks to be a nice car, otherwise. But if I'm going to spend that much, things needs to be more to my liking. Be that as it may.

CBODY67

Shock absorbers are not designed to support weight, (as I have said before), that's the springs job. Serious damage to the upper shock mount can and will result over time. The factory "air level suspension" was designed with this issue in mind.
DO NOT rely on air shocks to lift a car for long periods of time.

Agreed, shock absorbers are not meant to support weight, but they resist the motion of such weight as they function. The factory air-level suspensions only did what we're proposing to do, except when the vehicle is loaded (more weight), just that with the aftermarket air shocks, it happens manually rather than automatically. "Long periods", might that be a cross country trip with 4 people and a trunk full of luggage? Much less with a heavy trailer in tow.

'More spring" usually makes for a stiffer ride. Using "less spring" but with "air assist" when needed keeps the comfort level higher in "air assist" and the minimum pressure (usually 30psi) times. Best of both worlds, to me. No different than the factory systems that to it automatically. OR in the factory HD trailer packages that also included rear air shocks.

CBODY67

After 45 plus years springs need to be replaced. Much like worn out shocks you really don't realize how they've worn over time until you have switched them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back