1969 Chrysler 300 Windshield Repair

Which is best for just sealing the windshield?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ArnieJr

Reaction score
Greetings, everyone.
I'm planning to tackle the leaking windshield on my 1969 300. After soaking it with a garden hose and a solid rain event, I know it is leaking near the top of the windshield, based on water drops on the dash, steering wheel and front seats.
I am NOT planning to remove the windshield, just pop off the trim, scrape out the old sealant and then apply... something. That's where I'm stuck.
A) I've heard many people say to use urethane sealer, but all the tubes I've seen either imply that it is used to glue the windshield in place or don't imply that it can be used to just run a bead along the windshield to seal it.
B) Silicone looks like it might do the trick, but I've heard conflicting advice; works great, doesn't work great, handles temperature changes, doesn't do well with temperature changes.
C) Then there's butyl tape. Some say that's the original way it was done, others say it's outdated (but a sealer only, which makes it attractive) and that urethane is the way to go, which brings me back to Exhibit A.
Any ideas, suggestions, preferably something that can be easily be found at a hardware or auto parts store? I don't want to wait two weeks and pay more for shipping than the product itself.
Addendum: I've seen plenty of videos on removing the trim using a trim removal tool, but none on putting the trim back on. If anyone can give me a walk through or point me to directions on doing that, I'd be much obliged.

Last edited:
I recently found a minor leak on one of the top corners of the 70 Newport windshield I am working on and I used a product that is silicone based but is very viscous so it creeps in all cracks and seals perfectly. I picked it up at Auto Zone. It was labeled "wind shield sealer/repair kit". Worked perfectly for me. Not everyone may advise this but I felt it was the least expensive and most non evasive way to repair my leak..

A lot of C-Body Mopars also have rust holes in the window channel. Sealant, regardless of the type will not be a permanent fix for that. You can locate where the leak is by soaping up the area around the top of the windshield mount point in the channel with a solution of dish soap. While it is still good and wet, take a hair dryer set on just the air dry function (No heat) and the spot where the leak is will form bubbles.

Dave

impala popcorn.gif

Permatex makes a windshield sealant and that is probably what you want to use. Butyl tape would only be used if you were removing the windshield. I'm not familiar with any urethane sealant that is used after a windshield install. The only time I've ever seen it used was to glue in windshields in more modern vehicles.

IMHO, the best option is removing the windshield, cleaning it up and installing it with new butyl tape.

upload_2019-11-29_15-19-53.png

Back