1969 Chrysler 300

m0par0rn0car

Reaction score
I’ve had a 1969 Plymouth Fury 3 for a little over a year now and I absolutely love the car except for one thing, finding parts is a pain and information is somewhat limited online. It’s not impossible by any means it just makes it less enjoyable to work on when I spend half my time searching for parts. With that being said I recently came across a really good deal on a 1969 300 convertible with f-code 440 that I was considering buying. I was wondering if anyone who has one could chime in on if it’s extremely hard to find parts or to work on for any reason, I like the car a lot but I’d rather get something that has a better backing so it’s easier to find maintenance and restoration parts. Thanks

What are you seeking and where have you been looking? Just curious.

In general, just because you can find things in repro for Mustangs and Camaros does not mean that ALL "old cars are similar. But there are many good sources for parts for C-body Chrusler products, just depends upon what you're looking for.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

As for lack of parts pretty much all Mopar C-bodies are similar. Not enough people fixing them up for repro parts. Many of the mechanical parts are shared across the C platforms and maybe some others, but Trim and interior parts are pretty specific to the year and model.

I guess it depends on what you want or consider "extremely hard to find parts or to work on".

Being a convertible has it's own pros and cons. Can't beat a 'vert for nice day cruises. They can have rust issues in the floor and trunk due to leaky tops (and a lot of them leak). Tops can be expensive to replace and the interiors tend to be sun baked.

Finding parts? Probably not any harder... But probably not easier either. Let's face it, going out on the intrawebs and finding new reproduction offshore built body parts isn't going to happen. Since mechanical parts share all the other platforms and a wide span of years, that part is cake for the most part. Finding specific parts used only on the convertible can be challenging, but the top and cylinders are readily available.

If it’s a really good deal just buy it.

These dinosaurs are all pretty old and some parts were a real treasure hunt back in the 80’s. Some parts will always be hard to find that’s half the fun/challenge.

Well I guess we do have the net now but it still ain’t getting any easier.

Parts availability is about the same as your Plymouth. There are some things that are easier to find for the 300 and some that are harder. A big ticket item would be the dash pad. The dashes are turning to mush on many of the '69-'70 Chryslers, especially the '69 Convertibles. Good dash pads are tough to find for the 300, where you can buy a brand new dash for your Plymouth. On the flip side, you can buy new, ready to install seat upholstery for the 300's, but probably not for your Fury III, unless it has bucket seats.

Jeff

Why don't you just buy one that is in much better shape to begin with or pretty much restored if you don't want to search for parts for a 50 year old car that doesn't have sufficient volumes still running around such that reproduction companies can make a reasonable business case for making their original parts?

One thing to keep in mind also is that goals that are more difficult to achieve are often more rewarding than the easy ones when you are done.........................

I have 69 300 parts. This forum is a great place to be. Post adds in the wanted section. WANTED section. Again WANTED section. Also on Facebook join C body Source. 3500 members there & another great source for parts. Unlike so many other FB groups its a no BS tolerated. Just serious C body fans.

8B56DBA8-796F-49B4-A240-0E198605576D.jpeg

It should be remembered that with all of the social networks, internet forums, etc., it CAN be much easier to find parts than in the decades before all of these things existed. Where you chased parts MANUALLY in the salvage yards in your region, or even taking a road trip in search of what you might desire. When you found major Mopar vendors, new parts and salvage yard operations advertiesed in the major Mopar magazines. In a time when the Mopar section of the regional yards were much smaller than for other makes, by observation. AND transactions were all done in cash money.

Some of these things still exist as people as @C Body Bob are more specialized in what they deal in. Which is great! And there are others, as Murray Park and some other regional people, who are Mopar-specific in their operations. Plus somALL e other larger, well-established operations. The Internet has brought these operations much more exposure on an interntional level, which helps everybody. BUT as with any other long-distance transaction, YOU have to know what you might need and how to transfer those desires to the seller, effectively. Which is where the Internet helps atain, with places like www.mymopar.com and www.jholst.net come into play with their downloadable files on parts and service items. Can't forget www.hamtramck-historical.com and these forums for the wealth of information they provide. ALL of which help the Mopar Hobby progress into the future.

Happy Mopar Holidays!
CBODY67

It should be remembered that with all of the social networks, internet forums, etc., it CAN be much easier to find parts than in the decades before all of these things existed. Where you chased parts MANUALLY in the salvage yards in your region, or even taking a road trip in search of what you might desire. When you found major Mopar vendors, new parts and salvage yard operations advertiesed in the major Mopar magazines. In a time when the Mopar section of the regional yards were much smaller than for other makes, by observation. AND transactions were all done in cash money.

Some of these things still exist as people as @C Body Bob are more specialized in what they deal in. Which is great! And there are others, as Murray Park and some other regional people, who are Mopar-specific in their operations. Plus somALL e other larger, well-established operations. The Internet has brought these operations much more exposure on an interntional level, which helps everybody. BUT as with any other long-distance transaction, YOU have to know what you might need and how to transfer those desires to the seller, effectively. Which is where the Internet helps atain, with places like www.mymopar.com and www.jholst.net come into play with their downloadable files on parts and service items. Can't forget www.hamtramck-historical.com and these forums for the wealth of information they provide. ALL of which help the Mopar Hobby progress into the future.

Happy Mopar Holidays!
CBODY67
Craig @mobileparts too

I’ve had a 1969 Plymouth Fury 3 for a little over a year now and I absolutely love the car except for one thing, finding parts is a pain and information is somewhat limited online.

This is part of the charm of not owning a "Cookie Cutter Classic" . Used to be I would go to car shows and cruises specifically to see stuff I have never seen before or not seen in a long time. These days I see the same old stuff at shows ,great stuff ,but it's almost like there are more of them on the road today than were built at the factory. Generally I stroll by Mustangs and Chevelles etc looking for more interesting stuff. I'm sure there were more Furys on the road than Cudas back in the day,but now there are fewer Fury's than Cudas I would bet. Like said above what parts are you in need of? I own a 69 Fury III also and wouldn't have it any other way.

F code 69 300 ? - i know not of such a thing..........
I'm thinking he's talking about the letter stamped on the boss on the front of the motor. An F in the VOIN would make it a 318 car, something no '69 300 ever was.

I'm thinking he's talking about the letter stamped on the boss on the front of the motor. An F in the VOIN would make it a 318 car, something no '69 300 ever was.
If that's the case, then that would be a 1970 440, since E is '69.

As for parts availability, it all depends on how dedicated you are. I've been piecing my '70 300 together for 10 years and I've been able for source everything I've needed. I got mine about 90% complete, but I also have had two parts cars. My suggestion is to look for a complete running car that you can fix up as you go or drive as is. They are out there and the additional cost would be well spent, unless of course, you don't mind spending the next 10 years piecing it together.

I have practically everything for our "C" bodies in the mechanical world --- Brakes, Front End , Fuel Pumps, Motor & Transm Mounts, Ignition & Electrical, Switches & Relays, and a whooooooole lot more....and AMERICAN made where there is only Chineseum !!!!!!
I am presently reaching out to you........

In the used world of parts , C Body Bob is far far less expensive than murray park, and he has reached out to you here, also.......

So your life IS NOW a picnic !!!!!!!!

Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935....... Happy Holidays......

I have practically everything for our "C" bodies in the mechanical world --- Brakes, Front End , Fuel Pumps, Motor & Transm Mounts, Ignition & Electrical, Switches & Relays, and a whooooooole lot more....and AMERICAN made where there is only Chineseum !!!!!!
I am presently reaching out to you........

In the used world of parts , C Body Bob is far far less expensive than murray park, and he has reached out to you here, also.......

So your life IS NOW a picnic !!!!!!!!

Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935....... Happy Holidays......
Very cool Craig, you are right C Body Bob is very generous to our fellow c body owners. A men.

Back