01313_ezng0q4fnhb_1200x900.jpg

00505_lROKaJOzDUI_1200x900.jpg

00B0B_1BKXUmPkxFz_1200x900.jpg

01212_9Yup5lESPn6_1200x900.jpg

01616_fxegZFCxZXb_1200x900.jpg

00505_bnCkWXtiaNH_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_fDMIcZSbFu1_1200x900.jpg

00c0c_2yeIX229ym9_1200x900.jpg

Car looks to have a good front clip and two good doors, rear bumper and taillight lenses, not much else there probably worth the $800 as noted in the previous post.

Dave

That belongs to moparbrad a member here. Used to be mine. I think it's still titled in my name.

Those models just look so cool - they were perfect right out of the box in 1969. I keep drooling about getting my 69 Monaco done some day soon - I want it to look just like this (but with a super light and minus the bug deflector):

upload_2017-3-24_6-36-8-png.png

My Dream Monaco / Polara would be a 1969 Convertible with a '70 or '71 rear end
Much cooler rear bumpers / tail lights
'69 tail lights / rear end is too GM looking
As Steve says the Monaco 3/4 front view is PERFECTION

The only flaw I find in these beautiful Dodge coupes is choosing between a '69 and '70, since I find elements of both quite appealing.

I think the Elwood Engle "tearing the buttressed roof off" a clay model '69 Polara story is widely known, so I shalln't re-tell it. It was told to me personally by John Herlitz (but has also been published). Someone with some spare photoshop time should mock one up.

Ditto for 70 front bumper with loop styling. Spring special had stainless trim to foreshadow arrival of full loop front bumper in 70.
I like the spring special trim, I'd prefer to get a car that has it if I ever venture into a '69.

Vague recollection. Can I prevail on you to recount the story once more?

They told him the design was too radical for a mainstream car. He got mad, tore the clay butresses off the car, smooshed them down and told them "here, here's your design!". Basically an artist's tantrum.

They told him the design was too radical for a mainstream car. He got mad, tore the clay butresses off the car, smooshed them down and told them "here, here's your design!". Basically an artist's tantrum.
Any pics of the butress design?

Any pics of the butress design?

Only in our mind's eye, which is why I was suggesting a photoshop... Although I wonder if a form of the butressed roof didn't simply manifest itself in the more "formal" roof seen on Plymouth Fury's. Perhaps the sails were simply more extreme, which wouldn't look all that great anyway. The execs may have been correct on this one.

The only flaw I find in these beautiful Dodge coupes is choosing between a '69 and '70, since I find elements of both quite appealing..

Which is why I like the 71 best . In my opinion and I am certainly in the minority, the 71 had the best overall design. Interior, low grade and high was better than prior years. Dash panel was now sharing with the Fury with a nicer profile and clearly the grill and tail lights are much meaner and cleaner looking.

Of course the ride is nicer on the 71s

I think I prefer the round side view however.

I also prefer the 70 body side moldings.

Which is why I like the 71 best . In my opinion and I am certainly in the minority, the 71 had the best overall design. Interior, low grade and high was better than prior years. Dash panel was now sharing with the Fury with a nicer profile and clearly the grill and tail lights are much meaner and cleaner looking.

Of course the ride is nicer on the 71s

I think I prefer the round side view however.

I also prefer the 70 body side moldings.

The only way I could find out of this conundrum was to get one of each model year Monaco (in my case) 1969, 1970, and 1971. Each one has its advantages but as a car to enjoy driving the most, the 71 clearly wins out. But somehow, the purity of the 69s overall look on the exterior goes a long way with me, even without the loop bumpers yet. But in most other respects, it pales to the later models in most all the ways mentioned above by Dave.

I solved my same dilemma with the 1969 - 1971 Chrysler 300s the same way, but in every respect except maybe for the additional tail light garnish on the 71 model, it wins out in every respect. But I love them all too.

Last edited:
What does one need to do to be on your will Steve? I can wait 20-30 years if necessary :poke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back