Reaction score
Contact seller
69 polara
01616_5zUfffjNGgH_1200x900.jpg

00808_jwYPFcCWulA_1200x900.jpg

00J0J_2q4Vk79Ws33_1200x900.jpg

01313_cslXPN1Ig2A_1200x900.jpg

00o0o_8HKV9633SzN_1200x900.jpg

Would be curious to see how well it "stops" with the master cylinder unbolted. Trunk floor is pretty much gone. East Coast car so frame inspection would be a must on this one. After market manifold and carb, engine is the wrong color.

Dave

Would be curious to see how well it "stops" with the master cylinder unbolted. Trunk floor is pretty much gone. East Coast car so frame inspection would be a must on this one. After market manifold and carb, engine is the wrong color.

Dave
Well it's a H code HP 383...wouldn't that engine be orange?

I owned one in the past ,...………….. the 440 is orange.

Color looks to be industrial red to me. Remember police cruisers hemi orange color with both 383/440, I think most of the rest were turquoise. The Windsor plant was known to use red (Maple Leaf) on both the 383 and 440 engines, but I do not know if that was still the case in 1969. Did anyone notice that there are two different carbs on this engine? Ad shows the after market manifold with AVS and lots of nut hulls on the intake. Photos above show a Holley carb. Wonder which is on the car now?

Dave

I dont understand...I've seen orange HP 383 engines in C body dodges and Plymouths as well. That 69 Monaco wagon that was in Arizona was an example...

The thing to remember is that Mopar engine colors could vary from plant to plant and year to year. I have seen both the turquoise and hemi orange engine colors, so I do not think there necessarily is a "right" color and the documentation for correct colors is for the preferred color and that does not mean that no other colors existed. The preferred colors are usually going to be more common. Mopar initially painted ('66) the HP and max-P 383 police engines hemi orange. What I suspect may have happened is that they continued using the orange color to exhaust the supply of paint in the equipment once the police run of engines was finished. The same may well have held true if a run of HP engines was started with turquoise color still in the equipment. In the Mopar restoration guide, I remember reading a note that suggested painting the engines in what ever color they had on them. Adequate color coverage so the engines looked nice was deemed to be more important than a particular color.

Dave

The only 383 original orange/red engine i owned in the past was in a 65 300 coupe from Canada , the engine colors there were not the same as in the US.

From what I've been able to figure out, HP engines with A/C were turquoise. I know that to be true in B-Body cars, and we had a discussion about it on another thread that it seems to be true for C-bodies also. There's also a possibility that the Canadian HP engines were turquoise too, but I have no way of knowing one way or the other.

Detailing Engine Mopar Turquoise - Specifically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back