1969 Dodge Polara (ex highway patrol car, police car) 440 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samplingman

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
Apologize if this one has been posted before. I love the white steering wheel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Other...58c8f1ad8&item=161271978712&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

$_14.JPG

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

I would need to see this car in person to properly authenticate, that being said it does apear to be a CHP package car but I have my doubts it was ever used by the CHP.

Ill be up there in two weeks, if it doesn't sell I may need to check it out.

Alan

With the white wheel that should confirm, shouldnt it?

No, that just says that it was a CHP "package" car, it does not say it was ever In Service by them.

Agencies would often buy cars from the CHP new, I had a parts car that was one of these.
The equipment holes are the clue, placement, absence and existence that defer from what was done by the CHP.

Alan

So bought by the California Highway Patrol but not used by them .... splitting hairs. Does that really matter Alan? I'd love to have it

To most it probably does, it is a borderline clone. If done right there would be no way to prove it wasn't even by me.

I know my original unit number, and the original plate number as well as the office it was assigned to.
Some people even know the officer that the car was assigned to.

In my eyes it is still a clone just 2 steps away from original.
I have seen a car that was used by the CHP then sold early to another agency.

To me it is about the history, no service, no count.

Alan

The car to the right is one of these, mine is the one with the hood open.
2010-05-08_011.jpg

Alan

Its all semantics I suppose, to me its a CHP car if it was bought by them and ordered the same way they would have ordered one. Good thing I dont have it, I wouldnt badge it as such

Has a relatively early blue and gold plate in that it starts with "B". Does that imply the car went out of service and then sold by the State early on in it's life to get those civie plates.

LOL, the first bidder bids on cars and sex toys! Ok, who is that here!?

Has a relatively early blue and gold plate in that it starts with "B". Does that imply the car went out of service and then sold by the State early on in it's life to get those civie plates.

LOL, the first bidder bids on cars and sex toys! Ok, who is that here!?

A "B" Series plate would have been issued late in 1970 or early 1971.
My car was sold by the CHP 12-22-70 and is BKJ

The cars went to 75,000 miles then were sold, the time varied.
Mine was in service 16 months, August 19, 1969 - December 22, 1970

Alan

Very interesting and impressive that information like that stays with the car when it is sold

I'm learning that it's all about the provenance to the real cop car guys.
Many times it's the man who was behind the wheel as much as the car.
Like a Landy or a Sox & Martin car.

Very interesting and impressive that information like that stays with the car when it is sold

Not always.
They painted the doors out and sometimes there is overspray on the unit number. If you are lucky the car wasn't repainted over the years and that information lost.

I was lucky that my car had the original key tag which would have the unit number and part of the plate number (with old pictures you can bracket the first digits)

The In Service date was on a Dymo label on the end of the dash, if you are luck it is still there.

The sale date all depends on what info stayed with the car.

Often the information like the officers name was just passed down by the previous owners.

I was fortunate that the person that purchased my car from the CHP kept things like the key tag and sales info.

2014-01-12_007.jpg

2010-05-08_028.jpg

2010-09-06_001.jpg

The window sticker from the auction, also seen is the original temporary registration from that sale.
2010-05-08_035.jpg

As for the officers name with my car may never know that.

Alan

I would need to see this car in person to properly authenticate, that being said it does apear to be a CHP package car but I have my doubts it was ever used by the CHP.

Ill be up there in two weeks, if it doesn't sell I may need to check it out.

Alan

Why do you have doubts it was used by CHP?

I thought the car sold? I guess the buyer never showed up. No telling what you would have to pay if the no shows and shill bidders didn't exist.

It is missing some tell tail signs, ie mounting holes for some equipment that was standard this year.

Alan

Yes, wouldn't it have holes for the spot lights for one. I seem to recall spot lights with a red lens for a CHP officer to shine in your rear view mirror. I also seem to remember there were whip antennas on the rear quarter back then.

Yes, wouldn't it have holes for the spot lights for one. I seem to recall spot lights with a red lens for a CHP officer to shine in your rear view mirror. I also seem to remember there were whip antennas on the rear quarter back then.

Yup,
This car appears to have had a roof mounted spotlight and something toward the rear, not consistent with the CHP.
Correct all 1969 B/W CHP cars had spotlights, one red one clear, no signs of spotlight holes.

Alan

Yup,
This car appears to have had a roof mounted spotlight and something toward the rear, not consistent with the CHP.
Correct all 1969 B/W CHP cars had spotlights, one red one clear, no signs of spotlight holes.

Alan

Not that I had one shined on me from behind when 16 but was not the red one on the driver's side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back