1969 Fury III Fan Clutch

CudaJames69

Reaction score
Hello everyone .

I want to replace the fan clutch on my '69 Fury III 318 2bbl. The fan is a 17 5/8" OD , 2.375 " ID . Fan clutch to fan 3" bolt circle .

The fan is stamped REMA
Made in USA/
2 0 69
BROOKSIDE CORP
B
McCordsville Ind

I don't have the clutch with me . I looked quick & didn't see any numbers on it .

The car came from California .

Can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement ?

The reason for replacement is preventative maintenance . Plan on driving from NYC to Colorado to Kentucky for the Street Rod Nationals to NC to Ohio for the Mopar Nationals and home .

Thanks for any help .

James

Fan clutches usually had an ink stamp of two letters on the front face of them, the metal rather than the aluminum. IF any numbers might be in the castings, they are NOT part numbers for the complete assembly, but ONLY for that particular part of the assembled unit.

Look in the Hayden cooling products catalog to match the lengths you might need, after looking at the application. You can find this online, possibly. THEN look at total length, mounting flange to the total front of the clutch, then the shaft length between the casting rear and the mouting flange where it toughes the water pump pulley.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

My weapon of choice is the Hayden 2747 heavy duty fan clutch. I believe others here also use this clutch.

Since I use this on a 440 car, I checked fitment at the Hayden site and this does fit your car. Double check it yourself though.

Ecatalog

Google Hayden 2747 for best price and delivery. I think Amazon, Summit and Rock Auto all sell it.

I've read about the 2747 on this forum before. Would the heavy duty be cheap insurance against overheating or would the 2706 standard duty suffice, if the engine currently has no overheating problems?

I installed the 2706 last year, my 78 NYB never overheats with it. I think the 2747 is not necessary if the engine has no temperature problems.

I believe that if you read the literature, the "HD" model has a tighter lock-up percentage than the normal clutch does. The HD might be more needed in trailering or similar applications, than for a car that just drives around mostly with no overheat issues. But "where" you drive can be important, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Fan clutches usually had an ink stamp of two letters on the front face of them, the metal rather than the aluminum. IF any numbers might be in the castings, they are NOT part numbers for the complete assembly, but ONLY for that particular part of the assembled unit.

Look in the Hayden cooling products catalog to match the lengths you might need, after looking at the application. You can find this online, possibly. THEN look at total length, mounting flange to the total front of the clutch, then the shaft length between the casting rear and the mouting flange where it toughes the water pump pulley.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I started doing going by dimensions . I figured if anyone had the same issue I could short cut it .

Unfortunately it's been painted black , no chance of getting that stamped number now .

I think it will get a flex fan until I can figure it out .

Thank you .

My weapon of choice is the Hayden 2747 heavy duty fan clutch. I believe others here also use this clutch.

Since I use this on a 440 car, I checked fitment at the Hayden site and this does fit your car. Double check it yourself though.

Ecatalog

Google Hayden 2747 for best price and delivery. I think Amazon, Summit and Rock Auto all sell it.

I looked at the 2747 & the others listed by hayden for my application . The hole in my fan is smaller than the OD of the fan mount . The OD of the fan mount is 2.59" & the hole ID is 2.375" , approx 1/4" difference . also the fan mounting circle is 3.25" on the clutch & the fan is 3" .

Thanks

Any idea what would have a 17 5/8" fan instead of an 18" ?

Does anyone know the water pump fan mount bolt circle ? I'm going to run a flex fan until I can figure this out & need to buy a fan spacer .

Thanks

Any idea what would have a 17 5/8" fan instead of an 18" ?

Does anyone know the water pump fan mount bolt circle ? I'm going to run a flex fan until I can figure this out & need to buy a fan spacer .

Thanks

It used to be that the OEM replacement fan clutches had a solid mounting flange at the water pump pulley. Aftermarket ones had 4 slots rather than a solid plate with four drilled holes in them. FWIW, the center shaft centering hole and the mounting flange bolt circle diameter are the same as for a small block Chevy.

CBODY67

IMHO, I have a couple observations... First is the easiest solution is to find the correct fan for the car. Second, I hate flex fans. Having seen one go through the hood of a Chevy Nova when it exploded, and then shortly after that, a local guy was killed when a flex fan exploded, I stay away from them. Most I've ever seen are junk anyway.

But! I have to think here... You want to replace this fan clutch purely as a preventative measure and I don't know as that's really something that needs to be done. First, they don't just fail overnight... and they don't do a catastrophic fail either. Worst thing is they either get "loose" and don't draw air or they wear out and the fan gets a little wobbly. If the car is cooling OK, then it's not loose and all you have to do is grab the fan and see if it moves.

So, it's good... and it's proven. Now you want to replace it with a "new" piece. Well... "new" isn't necessarily good anymore. It's getting to be that a very high percentage of "new" parts are either lessor quality and not doing as good a job or they are outright failing after a couple hundred miles. The Hayden clutches are good, and I can see an upgrade, but I think that's not why you want to replace the clutch.. So, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

IMHO, I have a couple observations... First is the easiest solution is to find the correct fan for the car. Second, I hate flex fans. Having seen one go through the hood of a Chevy Nova when it exploded, and then shortly after that, a local guy was killed when a flex fan exploded, I stay away from them. Most I've ever seen are junk anyway.

But! I have to think here... You want to replace this fan clutch purely as a preventative measure and I don't know as that's really something that needs to be done. First, they don't just fail overnight... and they don't do a catastrophic fail either. Worst thing is they either get "loose" and don't draw air or they wear out and the fan gets a little wobbly. If the car is cooling OK, then it's not loose and all you have to do is grab the fan and see if it moves.

So, it's good... and it's proven. Now you want to replace it with a "new" piece. Well... "new" isn't necessarily good anymore. It's getting to be that a very high percentage of "new" parts are either lessor quality and not doing as good a job or they are outright failing after a couple hundred miles. The Hayden clutches are good, and I can see an upgrade, but I think that's not why you want to replace the clutch.. So, if it ain't broke, why fix it?
Considering the car is unmolested mechanically I was under the impression it was the original . After all the checking , the company on the fan blades is out of business for a while . BUT I checked inventory last night . I now have several fans with clutches to compare & a couple of fixed blade fans as well . Best case I will use a 20" from a New Yorker with a new fan clutch I installed before I pulled the engine forever ago if it fits in the shroud . Worst case I have a fan & clutch from a '82 Ramcharger I will install with the new clutch I already have .

As for the flex fan I have a plastic flex fan like the ones I've used on most cars I've had since I can remember after overheating the first time . Some time around 1987 I installed my first . I won't use the metal one because I have also seen some nasty things happen in addition to all the stories I've heard .

I've had the car for about 4 years , driven it sporadically , never further than my job less than 15 miles away . Although with traffic that can be an hour drive . I'm preparing for our yearly road trip . This year I am planning on driving from home , NYC , to Colorado , Kentucky for the Street Rod Nationals , NC then to Ohio for the Mopar Nationals back home . Without any detours it's roughly 4800 miles in 2 weeks . This is why I'm replacing it . Temp has always been in the middle but I don' want to chance it . With have this difficulty identifying the correct clutch it seems like a good thing I did this .

I agree 100% with new isn't always better . We've had to replace many parts several times due to the quality of all the overseas products dominating our replacement parts industry . It gets extremely frustrating .
I've learned a lot with this whole process .
I'd like to Thank Everyone for your help & input . We should be good now

Back