1969 Headlight Door Motor

ArnieJr

Reaction score
Hello, I'm thinking about doing a little exploratory surgery on the headlight door motor for my 69 300. It keeps spinning after it opens the headlights. I'm also kind of hoping that maybe the old "take it apart and put it back together" repair trick will work. What would I need on hand, besides patience?
It closes just fine when I put power to it from the battery, but not installed, so that's likely somewhere between the plug and the battery. But that's a fix for later.
Picture for reference; it's already out of the car.

door motor.jpg

hidden headlight gears....info Start with this thread , it sounds like your gear is stripped or broken. There are a few different styles of gears , you need to open it up to find out what type of gear you have. It is a bit of a In depth job , be prepared to spend some time working on it.

Note there are index marks on the gear and the black plastic cover for the gear, be sure to manually line up the index marks or damage to the limit points will result.

Dave

Thanks. I know it's not necessarily a high speed motor, but does it need grease or oil?

Thanks. I know it's not necessarily a high speed motor, but does it need grease or oil?

Some light grease on the gear and the shaft is all it needs. If you have a tube of Lubricam; that is, distributor cam grease, that works really well for the headlight door motor gears because it is a non conductor.

Dave

hidden headlight gears....info Start with this thread , it sounds like your gear is stripped or broken. There are a few different styles of gears , you need to open it up to find out what type of gear you have. It is a bit of a In depth job , be prepared to spend some time working on it.
Well, I took it apart and when I turned the wheel, I could see the worm gear turning, but not the gear itself. I don't remember the part number, E-something. I'll have to check again tonight. It's an off-white color, plastic (nylon?) maybe an inch in diameter. Looks like some of the teeth were broken off, wondering maybe that's the culprit.

Well, I took it apart and when I turned the wheel, I could see the worm gear turning, but not the gear itself. I don't remember the part number, E-something. I'll have to check again tonight. It's an off-white color, plastic (nylon?) maybe an inch in diameter. Looks like some of the teeth were broken off, wondering maybe that's the culprit.
Yes missing teeth on your gear could be your problem. Please post some pictures of what your doing, it goes a long way in figuring out what the issue is .

Hello, I'm thinking about doing a little exploratory surgery on the headlight door motor for my 69 300. It keeps spinning after it opens the headlights. I'm also kind of hoping that maybe the old "take it apart and put it back together" repair trick will work. What would I need on hand, besides patience?
It closes just fine when I put power to it from the battery, but not installed, so that's likely somewhere between the plug and the battery. But that's a fix for later.
Picture for reference; it's already out of the car.

View attachment 353675
How did you remove the motor/switchplate? Reading the manual It's not clear to me if the torsion spring will release it's energy. And if installation is easy after I've inspected/cleaned the motor/switchplate.
The headlight doors will open and close, but sometimes the switchplate needs a little tap sometimes to get the motor to run.

Btw, the motor on my 300 doesn't have the knob underneath, to manually operate the motor?!

Back