1969 headrests

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My 69 300 convertible is an early build car without headrests,
I have a 69 300 convertible parts car that has head rests but seem to be a different design then the "pod" type of headrests I see on most of the 69,s pictured.
The parts car has a recliner passenger seat that I want to incorporate into my 69 and I thought that I should probably use the headrests on the recliner.
Are these headrests unique to recliner equipped cars.....?

HEAD REST 1 (Large).jpg

HEAD REST 2 (Large).jpg

HEAD REST 3 (Large).jpg

Pimping up the options on your car

I am of the opinion you should not 'pimp up' your car by putting options on it that not meet the original specs of you car...

What........???

I am of the opinion you should not 'pimp up' your car by putting options on it that not meet the original specs of you car...

This is off topic, (as you are quick to point out), shame on you. I asked a question.....

In case you haven't figured it out yet.... No one here cares about your "opinion"

I guess I "pimped" my car because I added the in dash clock. What a tool.

It's your car, build it the way you want. If you want headrests and a reclining seat, go for it.

I guess I "pimped" my car because I added the in dash clock. What a tool.

It's your car, build it the way you want. If you want headrests and a reclining seat, go for it.

Do and say what you want, but just respect one's opinion and if I were you I would not get angry or frustrated:wavesmile:.

Last edited:
Do and say what you want, but just respect one's opinion and if I were you I would not get angry of frustrated:wavesmile:.

Who's angry "of" frustrated? :thatswck:

It's hard to respect one's opinion when it wasn't solicited. The OP wasn't soliciting anyone's opinion but simply asking a question regarding the headrests as they pertain to reclining seats. Do you have anything to add in that regard? I don't think he asked if it would be detrimental to the authenticity of his car if he added them to his build. For this reason, your "opinion" is not required or welcomed.

Well that's the way life goes on forums... Just get used to it and do not bother.

You wrote this three weeks ago " Nice cars, but off topic. :eek:fftopic::) "

And this on May 11th "It's also off topic. I want pictures of 1969 Chrylser 300 convertible's!!"

and quickly changed this topic by writing this
"I am of the opinion you should not 'pimp up' your car by putting options on it that not meet the original specs of you car... "

See where things went bad?

Now back on topic...........do you have another photo or angle of the top head rest? It looks like the head rest to a bench seat.

Those look just like the headrests that were in my 69 300 with lowback buckets. It came with two bucket seats plus a seperate center section in the middle that folded down into an armrest. I wish I had a picture to show you, but ufortunately, that was many years ago and I can't find any snapshots of the car right now. Both front seats were power with recliners.

Headrests

Those look just like the headrests that were in my 69 300 with lowback buckets. Both front seats were power with recliners.

Wow....! That must have been a well equipped 300.

These came out of a Oct 68 built 69 300 with a power driver seat and manual adjust passenger recliner seat and a console instead of the buddy seat. The broadcast sheet shows the headrests as original equipment. I located some pictures of 69 Imperial interiors that show these same headrests.

I'm thinking this type of headrest was used with the recliner bucket only.

Last edited:
Headrest quest?

You wrote this three weeks ago " Nice cars, but off topic. :eek:fftopic::) "

And this on May 11th "It's also off topic. I want pictures of 1969 Chrylser 300 convertible's!!"

and quickly changed this topic by writing this
"I am of the opinion you should not 'pimp up' your car by putting options on it that not meet the original specs of you car... "

See where things went bad?

Now back on topic...........do you have another photo or angle of the top head rest? It looks like the head rest to a bench seat.

Well nothing wrong with off topic replies. Did you see the smiley at the end of my reply? I was joking but you look really frustrated... If not, just use more smileys.

I have posted some pictures of headrests, maybe it is helpfull. I have a lot more if you need some. If you look at the pictures it's not clear when which type headrest is used...C06C549C-34CD-439E-A333-6346F930C826_61.jpgDSCF4282.jpgDSCF0050.jpgDSC_6011.jpg

DSC_6011.jpg

DSCF0050.jpg

DSCF4282.jpg

C06C549C-34CD-439E-A333-6346F930C826_61.jpg

Last edited:
Wow....! That must have been a well equipped 300.

These came out of a Oct 68 built 69 300 with a power driver seat and manual adjust passenger recliner seat and a console instead of the buddy seat. The broadcast sheet shows the headrests as original equipment. I located some pictures of 69 Imperial interiors that show these same headrests.

I'm thinking this type of headrest was used with the recliner bucket only.

Maybe this is the answer: The not molded headrests are headrests that were installed as a option before the headrests became standard due to safety law (only seen on early build 69 300's). The standard headrest were molded ones and had also a different shape to meet with the new safety law specs. They should be installed from build date January 1st 1969...?

headrests.....

I have posted some pictures of headrests, maybe it is helpfull. I have a lot more if you need some. If you look at the pictures it's not clear when which type headrest is used...View attachment 3264View attachment 3263View attachment 3262View attachment 3261[/QUOTE]

Thanks, those pictures are helpful as they illustrate both types.
The first and third photos are of the type I have on my recliner although the third pic does not appear to be a reclining seat. (factory literature states that the reclining seat back was only availiable with black upholstery).
You can always rely on mother Mopar to stir things up.

Last edited:
Thanks, those pictures are helpful as they illustrate both types.
The first and third photos are of the type I have on my recliner although the third pic does not appear to be a reclining seat. (factory literature states that the reclining seat back was only availiable with black upholstery).

Here are some more pics.

8Interior.jpgc39f64ba.jpg11069j_20-4.jpg707VAN42.jpg

707VAN42.jpg

11069j_20-4.jpg

c39f64ba.jpg

8Interior.jpg

Last edited:

Again my post about a possible solution...you may overlooked it.

The not molded headrests (with zipper) are headrests that were installed as a option before the headrests became standard due to safety law (only seen on early build 69 300's). The standard headrest were molded ones and had also a different shape to meet with the new safety law specs. They should be installed from build date January 1st 1969...?
:confused:

factory literature states that the reclining seat back was only availiable with black upholstery).

More interesting pics. The white seat is from a 69 two door hard top. I think this white reclining seat is original...

13.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:
white recliner.

More interesting pics. The white seat is from a 69 two door hard top. I think this white reclining seat are original...

Now THAT is interesting. I have seen several references to the "black upholstery only" on 69 Chrysler reclining seats. This white one does look original, which is great because mine will be reupholstered in white.

Literature also suggests that the headrest is required with the reclining seat. The top photo shows the reclining seat minus the headrests, although they have been recovered.

Last edited:
Back