1969 Imperial Carpet

vdk2010

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought an allegedly correct ACC Carpet through OCC for my 1969 Imperial 2dr Hardtop.

Beau at OCC was really friendly and helpfull and the carpet was a lot cheaper then directly bought from ACC.

But although they told me it would be the right one, it's not. It doesn't have the "humps" for the front seat belts. After talking to them again and describing the problem, they checked back with ACC and ACC told them they don't offer the correct Carpet I need.

Now I'm in need of the correct Carpet in Cutpile material for a 2-Door Imperial with the humps for the seat belts molded into the carpet.

Does anyone know of another carpet manufacturer that offers the correct carpet?

2021-08-02 18.02.36.jpg
2021-08-02 18.02.51.jpg
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0025.JPG
DSC_0030.JPG
Seat belts - 21.jpg

Can you heat up the new carpet backing with a heat gun and then press with your hands on the carpet side to form around the seat belt? The heat gun I describe would not be a hair dryer.

I bought an allegedly correct ACC Carpet through OCC for my 1969 Imperial 2dr Hardtop.

Beau at OCC was really friendly and helpfull and the carpet was a lot cheaper then directly bought from ACC.

But although they told me it would be the right one, it's not. It doesn't have the "humps" for the front seat belts. After talking to them again and describing the problem, they checked back with ACC and ACC told them they don't offer the correct Carpet I need.

Now I'm in need of the correct Carpet in Cutpile material for a 2-Door Imperial with the humps for the seat belts molded into the carpet.

Does anyone know of another carpet manufacturer that offers the correct carpet?

View attachment 480079 View attachment 480080 View attachment 480081 View attachment 480082 View attachment 480083 View attachment 480084 View attachment 480085
I agree with Pete, heat gun. I also bought a steamer for laying down carpet. Any after market carpet does not fit. I have learned that several carpets ago. I also do not buy carpet with the thick backing as it is a pain to lay down. I put down insulation then the carpet. What then happens is a lot of cuss words, heat gun, knife, heated brass tube to make holes for seat belt bolts, seat studs, and then steam it to fit. Just my experience.

I think there,s not unough material for the heat gun methode.........
When i got my 70 imp there was also a new carpet in the trunk.....the same as yours... @vdk2010 .
I think what you have to do is cut out the old humps ( cleaning or make them new with new carpet material.
Put the cleaned/restored humps over the new carpet ( you know how to make that good looking.....).

Ran into this issue with my GT. Had to peel the plastic humps off the old carpet to reuse. And then had to heat and reform the carpet to fit them.

Iirc ACC is the only one in the carpet business these days.

20210704_141653.jpg

Looks like I have to do that. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

The cups underneath the carpet are seperate from the carpet on my car and some kind of waxed cardbouard. Unfortunately they are not in very good shape so I have to come up with new ones somehow.

OCC just got back to me. They apologized for the inconvenience and refunded the entire money for the carpet set and shipping to Germany, even after I told them I don't want that because I have to use the carpet and make it work.
So I want to give OC Auto Carpet credits for the great communication and their customer service! Beau is a great guy to deal with!

Last edited:
Julian. I posted a thread about carpet alternatives a short time ago, but it looks like it got deleted in the site issues.
ACC is the only game in town for molded carpets and their quality leaves a lot to be desired.
As you know I am restoring a 61 Plymouth Fury. NO ONE even claims to offer a correct carpet for it. I located a carpet material supplier that offers the carpet and all else to install a carpet that exceeds anything ACC has to offer, and for less money. You can do it yourself or have it done at a trim shop.
I bought 4 yards for Virgil, your Imperial might need a little more. Cost me $72.00 shipped for the carpet material, it's a good match to the original turquoise. Called "Detroit loop".

Homepage (albrightssupply.com)

Last edited:
Julian. I posted a thread about carpet alternatives a short time ago, but it looks like it got deleted in the site issues.
ACC is the only game in town for molded carpets and their quality leaves a lot to be desired.
As you know I am restoring a 61 Plymouth Fury. NO ONE even claims to offer a correct carpet for it. I located a carpet material supplier that offers the carpet and all else to install a carpet that exceeds anything ACC has to offer, and for less money. You can do it yourself or have it done at a trim shop.
I bought 4 yards for Virgil, your Imperial might need a little more. Cost me $72.00 shipped for the carpet material, it's a good match to the original turquoise. Called "Detroit loop".

Homepage (albrightssupply.com)
Thanks for the hint, Will!
Since I now have a carpet set here, I'm gonna try that first. Especially since it was free due to the problems I had with it.
But if that fails, I will definitely try that company! :) $72 is hard to beat! That alone was the price I paid for shipping for the extra yard of carpet I ordered.

Back