1969 Imperial Convertible

Cbodies69-73

Reaction score
20130621_200014.jpg20130617_200947.jpg20130615_171004.jpg20130616_090901.jpg20130619_133910.jpg20130622_153421.jpg20130621_130555.jpg20130710_195113.jpg
Ok, some have asked to see more pics of this 69 Imperial Convertible project. Most of us know that Chrysler Corp didnt build a Imperial Convertible for 1969. Im guessing extremely low sales of previous convertibles and impending roll over scare requirements by the government helped make the final call, even though Chrysler Corp. tooled up for full size convertibles anyway. First we need to start off with knowing that 69 Is the first year that LOTS of Chrysler parts were shared in the body of an Imperial. The main difference is the 127'' wheelbase for Imperial and 124'' for a Chrysler. The extra three inches is from the fire wall forward in the Imperial only sub frame. So Doors, quarters, floor pans, fire walls, roofs, trunk floors, and trunk lids are all the same. So the longer front end means that you need Imperial specific fenders, hood, core support to make it look less Chrysler. The next panel that is different is the panel thats directly behind the rear bumper. Its spot welded to the outter edges of the quarters and trunk floor. That part is model specific, meaning Newport, 300, New Yorker, and Imperial all use its own part. Next major change is the swapping of Sub Frames. The rear most mount in in the floor boards right near the front seat. Next pair are at the firewall. Now this is where the Imperial starts to get different from the Chrysler. It has a trapezoid shaped mount spot welded onto the top of the regular C body mount. This has to be added to add more strength for the longer sub frame. So those are to two main things that make a body a Chrysler or Imperial.

So Ive always wanted a 69 Imperial convertible. Growing older and learning more about these cars , getting enough confidence , and finding a already stripped 69 300 shell for sale extremely cheap about 3 miles from my house all helped convince me the time had come.....

Ok, you could go the route of taking a 69 Imperial Coupe and chopping the roof off , cutting the rear wheel wells down and adding in all the convertible braces/brackets/windshield header etc.... To me that sounded like the wrong way to go about it because with a parts car and a welder you can start off with an already rigid/stronger convertible shell that we all know is stout because Ma Mopar wouldn't be letting people ride around in a weak convertible. So the panel behind the rear bumper on this 300 convertible was already rotted out so you would need to replace that panel anyways to keep it as a 300 if so desired. I knew of a 69 Imperial 2 door in a junk yard so I could get the rear panel, dash board, complete wiring, power window regulators , trim etc etc anything I could take that I think I would need. Since the Chrysler dash has the same layout but the Imperial dash has more too it, to be correct looking I need to swap out dashes, which sounds scary but its pretty simple and everything is mounted in the same exact holes. I also had found 1969 Imperial door panels, bucket seats, and some other coupe items. Since the rear seat is slightly smaller on a convertible Ill have to have a trim shop redo the convertible seat frames with the 69 Imperial pattern, but before I get into interior dilemmas. Im going to get the body set and painted then worry about interior. So I have a 69 Imperial Limo in the spare spot in my shop that I work on in my spare time or when work is slow.... Im being pressured by friends/people I know too push the limo aside and get the convertible in paint.... So we'll see I suppose. Whatever happens Ill take what pics I can.

20130621_200014.jpg

20130617_200947.jpg

20130615_171004.jpg

20130616_090901.jpg

20130619_133910.jpg

20130622_153421.jpg

20130621_130555.jpg

20130710_195113.jpg

That'll be a sweet ride, 1 of none! What color combo will it be?

Reminds me of this but an Imperial .. very cool

i007948.jpg

[video=youtube_share;ikMHRzYSul4]http://youtu.be/ikMHRzYSul4[/video]

Last edited:
Awesome! This would be my dream car! That's the ONLy thing I'm missing on this modelyear.

I'm looking forward to see some progress.

I'm jealous! To me you're very lucky for everything to come together like it has...an already stripped convertible body for cheap? How does THAT happen? Then the ideal parts car in a scrap yard close by....I haven't seen a 69 Imperial coupe in ages, much less in a wrecking yard with all the goodies needed for a proper conversion.

Good for you.

Speechless, absolutely speechless. All I can muster to say is I'll be following along intensely with a big bag o' popcorn to enjoy the show with. Please begin at any time.

Why does it seem like every time you put up a car, there's another car we have to ask about? Is that a '67 Cadillac flower car in the bottom picture?

Wow. You have it going on.

20130808_094523.jpg20130825_115516.jpg
Why does it seem like every time you put up a car, there's another car we have to ask about? Is that a '67 Cadillac flower car in the bottom picture?

Wow. You have it going on.

:) Its actually a 70 Cadillac Flower car, converted by Mc Clain , I use it as my shop truck.

20130808_094523.jpg

20130825_115516.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome .....nice 1 of none!

We need plenty of pictures as you progress through this beautiful creation.

Damn..........if I had Mega Millions money. LOL!

Love it !! Esp that 68 Black and White and I remember those mags on the 69 GTX which is very sharp too

I demand of a total and complete inventory of you cars - lol!

get ready for this..... last I counted, there are about 200 here on six acres of property..... I forget myself, Id have to go thru the title box or go out and make a list.

Im thinking of getting back into hosting a car show again once a year. It used to be emergency vehicles and full size cars. You can come to the show and count yourself :icon_surprised:

Last edited:
Back