1969 Imperial sequential turn signals.

Xavi3r

Reaction score
As owners knows, a horde of details makes the 69 imperial so special.
The funniest to me are the sequential turn signals, unique for mopar as far as i know.

On my 69 imperial they are still working but i do not think that the system is original. this is an electro mechanic system that might come from a cougar or something. A little electric rotor leads 3 cams that makes contact on after another, to do the sequence.

At the origin, isn't the imperial supposed to have a fully electronic system for the sequentital turn signal ? with a Printed circuit board ? generally melted in a red/pink hard wax ?

I do not know if you guys tried to remove this wax, but i did. I bought a bunch of broken PSB and removed the wax.
I plan to replicate it as close as possible with modern electronic components to have something as close as the original.
If you can help me to identify the components, I could go to the store and buy new ones, or compatible ones ( as they told me at the electronic store ) :

IMG_0149.jpgIMG_0151.jpg

and finished :

644494IMG0378.jpg

764675IMG0376.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Xavier, do your images show what's inside this box?

No no this is a relay.

attached to this box, origninally I think, there was a large PCB, melted in a sort of hard wax that made the sequence for the turn signals.

From wikipedia :

Two different systems were employed. The earlier, fitted to the 1965 through 1968 Ford-built cars, was electro-mechanical, featuring an electric motor driving, through reduction gearing, a set of three slow-turning cams. These cams would actuate switches to turn on the lights in sequence so long as the turn signal switch was set. This system was complicated and prone to failure, and therefore the units are non-functional in many surviving cars. The part is long out of stock at Ford and it is practically impossible to find a NOS unit. An electronic replacement unit is available from several suppliers.

Later cars used a transistorized 'black box' with no moving parts; this was much more reliable. The sequential unit can be found in the trunk on Cougars and Thunderbirds, affixed behind the back seat or on the driver's side of the trunk behind the lining in all model years that had them. The 1969 Imperial also used a transistorized unit.

I never had a transistorized unit that worked and i do not agree with what is said : the electro-mecanical is quite reliable if you consider only the " sequence system " ( the motor with the cams ) : their is few possible failure : either a broken cam or some rust on the contacts.

My 67 would look awesome with sequential turn signals too. Keep us posted on how your making out.

hi everyone.

i knew about those moderne systems. i have a friend that makes things like that.

My point is a bit different : the goal is to copy the original pcb and to recreate as close as possible the original system.
With moderne components, i hope it will be more reliable.

From a completely electronic point of view...this is a fairly simple circuit to design.
The most likely failure point in these would be the large power transistors (three are shown-round silver things). Sometimes they will short out and take a few other components with them (I see a cracked resistor in one photo).
I worked in electronics for nearly 30 years, but this is my two cents worth. If you can get the transistors, this would easily be repairable.

From a completely electronic point of view...this is a fairly simple circuit to design.
The most likely failure point in these would be the large power transistors (three are shown-round silver things). Sometimes they will short out and take a few other components with them (I see a cracked resistor in one photo).
I worked in electronics for nearly 30 years, but this is my two cents worth. If you can get the transistors, this would easily be repairable.

Hi,

In fact if you look closely, everything is dead. cracked.
Would you agree to help me to identify some components ? then i can go to my local storeand ask for new ones.
i wil make better pictures with my other APN.

that's what I am talking about. it is the red box attached to the relays.
IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

As I think I'd said earlier, my sequential signals work. I only disconnected the pieces in the trunk, cleaned them with canned air and a toothbrush, and then replaced one or more bulbs in each tail light - bam! - they worked like a charm. I will add that the one large component in the trunk had a sticker from a Los Angeles dealership with a date of 1976, so at sometime it had failed and been worked on. These two picks are not too great but this is how mine looks, with all the thick insulation and padding pulled back.
DSCN0466.jpgDSCN0467.jpg

DSCN0466.jpg

DSCN0467.jpg

i think you have the same system as mine. A small electric motor that truns little cams, like mercury.
it is exactly the same in my imperial.

I suppose this replace the " red box " that came with other spare parts when I bought my imperial. I think this is the " transistorized unit " that wikipedia is talking about.

Looks like mine too

005.jpg010.jpg

I haven't unpacked the turn signal package yet, but it looks too small to contain the "red box"

005.jpg

010.jpg

I think Vodka's correct, Xavier. In relation to your hand as seen in the photo, the 'red box' is much bigger than any component that my Imp has. Unless of course you have freakishly small hands? :toothy10: Looks like someone improvised either out of frustration or finances. I think you said you are aiming for originality, but I think if mine goes out I'll opt for one of the modern replacements and still hide it in the same insulation and padding.

I made a picture of mine today.
( there is some videos on youtube too )

I really think that the " red boxes " have been replaced later on our cars by ford-like system.
here's mine. same as you.

916064Image4.jpg

I have unpacked the black taped square you have too, and you can see the small elecric motor mounted on a white box that contains cams.

I do not think that the " red box " was a home made thing I really think it is the some of the first transistorised units for car. I have some more.

Back