1969 New Yorker specs

The.Blitzschnell

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I’m living in Tehran/Iran and recently bought a 69 New Yorker hardtop sedan (big block 440ci + Holley 4bbl + 3 speed auto TorqueFlite)
As I need to order most of the parts from the US, I needed some guidance
1. how many liters of engine oil does it take? And is it 20w-50 ?
2. how many liters of gearbox oil and what brand ?
3. does it have a cabin air conditioning filter ?
4. what this part is called in English ? The metal part at the end of leather roof
5. does anyone have windows wheaterstripping for sale?
6. What the standard tire size ?
Tnx

E0E6FA8A-7C54-46E8-B225-A453C996FE68.jpeg

Last edited:
The easiest thing to do is just answer your questions. I'm going to my method I used when I trained folks back in my working days and give you the source of the information you need. Using this info will help answer questions and will help educate you as you go forward. Hopefully this will also expand the enjoyment of owning an old car.

The first thing is I suggest you get a factory service manual. We abbreviate it "FSM" around here. Normally, you can get a free download, but this website is missing 1969 FSM. A 1970 version is very close though and until you find the proper one, it will do. Service Manuals – MyMopar

Best is to obtain a correct copy and I've bought a few CD versions from these guys and have been very happy. 1969 Chrysler CD Shop Manual 69 Imperial 300 New Yorker Newport Repair Service | eBay

You can buy used paper versions cheaper if you want, but I'll bet it's going to be cheaper to ship the CD.

Next, a parts manual is your next resource. That one we can get... Parts Manuals – MyMopar

You'll also find we speak in Imperial measurement, but a liter is close enough to a quart for our use.

1. 5 quarts (or liters) of oil. 10W-40 is a good flavor.
2. You'll need ATF, or automatic transmission fluid. In reality, pretty much all the versions will work. Most use a Dexron version and that might be the easiest for you to get in your locale.
3. No, that is a relative new thing that our cars never had.
4. There's probably a number of names. C-pillar vinyl top trim comes to mind. If looking for a replacement, say something like "I need this piece of trim for the ____ side" and then include this picture.
5. I can't answer that one. Someone may chime in with a source, but I never looked.
6. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.jsp Why the chart? Back in 1969, the tires were sized differently and then went through a couple more changes. Sometimes it's a matter of availability, and some guys like a bigger tire too. 225 or 235/75R-15 is the normal sizes.

Welcome on board! Nice New Yorker!

5. Nobody makes the side window weatherstripping, at least not specifically for ’69 to ’73 four-door hardtops. However, you may find some NOS (new old stock) parts on eBay. I did, for my former ’70.

6. Korean made Nexus 235/75-15 is regarded as the best alternative. Very close to the original JR78-15 sizewise, and quite nice look with a narrow whitewall side band.

5. Regarding the seals, Metro Rubber https://metrommp.com/seals/might have something. Only you would have to find the suitable pieces yourself, by comparing them with what you have.

That is how I found out, that Metro VS7-A (flocked) is the one at the leading edge of my 1970 NYer 4d HT rear window.

Back