For Sale 1969 Plymouth VIP - $2400 (Havre)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1970cat

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
car is not mine
1969 Plymouth VIP

00F0F_lAUq64EE4IM_600x450.jpg

00a0a_5QhCafcxHpM_600x450.jpg

00O0O_ehalWjOvGwd_600x450.jpg

01717_l3M6txm8ntn_600x450.jpg

00W0W_j0EGMDUYBF4_600x450.jpg

00F0F_chC8OVpX1s7_600x450.jpg

00v0v_1dthJTujTaY_600x450.jpg

00m0m_kgcXNbiQAUk_600x450.jpg

00k0k_eQvW6MGgBTE_600x450.jpg

1969 Plymouth VIP, 383 BB, auto trans, my grandpa bought this car new. The rear soft plug started leaking and he parked it in the late 70's and this car hasn't been touched since. All original, all there, the only thing taken off this car was the battery. Asking $2400 obo

I wonder if this car is a very late build and came from the factory with the 1970 dashboard ? also interesting that another top of the live VIP that is sparse on options.

1969 Plymouth VIP, 383 BB, auto trans, my grandpa bought this car new. The rear soft plug started leaking and he parked it in the late 70's and this car hasn't been touched since. All original, all there, the only thing taken off this car was the battery. Asking $2400 obo

00m0m_kgcxnbiqauk_600x450-jpg.jpg

Are you guys really afraid of projects? If the car is solid it's worth bringing back...this is a derby car...no title, no straight panels, not so solid...

View attachment 261259

I'm done with projects. Paint, chrome, upholstery are all ridiculously expensive nowadays. This assumes it runs, drives and the wiring hasn't been chewed on or "updated"....nope. Derby or parts, or a really ugly winter beater. I'd go $500. Delivered to me.

I'm done with projects. Paint, chrome, upholstery are all ridiculously expensive nowadays. This assumes it runs, drives and the wiring hasn't been chewed on or "updated"....nope. Derby or parts, or a really ugly winter beater. I'd go $500. Delivered to me.

Boo! :mob:

I mean just look at that hood, and that deck lid. Even those end caps and body panels look good as any for a starting point. The exterior light lens look good. Still has lots of its engine decals. Hell besides straightening that front bumper you probably won’t even need to rechrome the car. Montana is a pretty nice state for saving cars. I don’t know why the owner parked it over an easy fix, it was probably still very shiny with lots of life and chrome at the time. I bet if it was a SFGT or Hurst it’d be a different story, but that’d be comparing apples to oranges I suppose.

Even though it looks like a pound of leaves are on top the intake - I bet some oil, starting fluid, and a shop vac, that 383 will turn over. Oh and some coolant for that plug.

Granted I don’t know who’s going to go out to Montana of all places, pick the car up and save it. God knows I’m not. BUT, for someone it might be the perfect clone of a childhood car etc.

Considering a buddy here in town has a triple-pickle '72 Gran Sedan in fantastic condition for not even double the ask on this car, why would anyone buy this, and put $15K in a $5K car when (sorta-kinda) finished. Makes zero sense. Unless you have amazing memories of getting laid for the first time in the back of an identical car...why? It's crazy money for what's there. Disagree all you want. Are one of you stepping up to save it? I doubt it very much.

I see both sides.
This car is a great example of too solid and good to discard -- but needs way too much money to get it presentable.
It's the kind of car I loved back in the day - buy it cheap, get it running and reliable, shine/clean it as best possible, and keep it alive for the next guy.
But - I hafta pick/choose where my time goes, and sometimes you need to "say no to good, so that you can say yes to better".

I don’t know why the owner parked it over an easy fix,
Depending on the skills of the owner, the skills of the neighbors/mechanics nearby, etc, what is an easy fix to us right now might have been a totally different situation back then.

As an example, the childhood car that started my insanity:
Grandpa bought a new 66 Fury II 4-door sedan, silver with blue int, fenderskirts, with 383-4 and 3.23 suregrip, and immediately gave it to my Dad. As grandpa usually had 6-cyl Darts and Valiants, I assume he bought it as a gift to my Dad for some reason.

It was the family car until early 80s when it had a brake issue of some sort, and Mom deemed it should be 'parked'. So it went to Grandpa's side-yard back by the treeline next to an ancient shed. What sort of brake failure could it have had, that one of us couldn't have fixed over the span of a long weekend??? I don't really know my Dad's skill level back then, but I know that I greatly surpassed him (as children are supposed to do). I also know my Dad's heart is huge, and I have not yet caught up to him there (which brings the next chapter).

So the car sat for 2-3 years. A needs-help buddy needed a car, so Dad fixed the brakes, got it running again, and away it went to its new home. I had dreams that car would be mine one day (I was 13 or so) but it was not meant to be, somebody needed it more than I did, and I was sad to see it go (even though it had typical wear of a 15-year-old mid-60s car). Dad told the buddy to put premium fuel in it. Which he did not, because it was too expensive to put good gas in a free car. So within some time, we get word that the car isn't running right, it's backfiring and running poorly. Dad laments that he's using cheap gas in it, the buddy no longer wants the car, and Mom asks why we need a car that won't run right. Dad has the chance to get the car back but chooses to let it go. And that's that.

Looking back, with my experienced eyes - the car probably was ready for a set of points and only needed a good tuneup. Within a short weekend it likely would've been running like a champ.

Sometimes we're the saviors of these cars, sometimes the downfall. History (small-scale) decides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back