1970 & 1972 Radiator Support Panel/Yoke Interchange

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hi All
I have a radiator yoke support panel for a 26 inch radiator from a 1970 Sport Fury. I have a radiator yoke support panel for a 22 inch radiator that is installed on my 1972 Fury III The 1972 panel is bent. I was thinking of replacing the 1972 panel with the 1970 panel. I do have the matching 1970 battery tray and wheel well, which I was also going to use. My question is: are the 2 panels interchangeable or is there something that I have missed with how the grill sets up on the panel or something else that makes my idea not workable?
Positives: Straight panel, opportunity for larger radiator, better condition battery tray.
Thanks everybody. & Happy New Year to All My C-Body Brothers! Ben

1970 Panel
DSCN8185.JPG

1972 Panel, bent area, LS radiator
20181204_145354.jpg

20181204_145837.jpg

I would suspect the '72 would fit the '70, BUT there might be a few small changes. Like the holes for the coolant recovery tank on the '72 and similar things. You might be able to enlarge the radiator "hole" to use the 26" radiator on your 22" core support?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I'm no c-body expert, but there a few bits of information that might help you.

a. One of "secret VIN locations" on the body, which proves your car is original, is on your existing radiator core support. At the very least, please save the piece with the number on it.
b. You can cut a 22" core support so that a 26" radiator fits & is unobstructed.
c. A 26" radiator will physically fit in a car with a 22" radiator core support, but roughly 4" of the radiator does not get direct air flow (obviously)
d. Radiator core supports are pretty easy to straighten & expensive to cut/replace/re-weld

If it were me (which it isn't), I would keep my original radiator core support & just straighten it.

The two panels are totally different animals and are not interchangeable as the 70 panel is bolted directly to the chassis as opposed to the 72 that uses rubber isolators, because of this the shape of the two are different with the 1970 panel frame being "taller" than the 72 frame. I will pull a couple out to take pics in a couple of days if you like to show the difference.

The two panels are totally different animals and are not interchangeable as the 70 panel is bolted directly to the chassis as opposed to the 72 that uses rubber isolators, because of this the shape of the two are different with the 1970 panel frame being "taller" than the 72 frame. I will pull a couple out to take pics in a couple of days if you like to show the difference.
Sorry to hijack.....are you saying the radiator core supports are BOLTED in on a C-body?

Oh, just a quick note, I'm 90 percent sure I have a 72/73 26in radiator support panel here.

Thanks Gary. Awesome info! I never even thought of the heights being different.
As far as going to the trouble of taking pics, that would be great for general info, but I don't need them. Hope your cold/flu is finally done.

Oh, just a quick note, I'm 90 percent sure I have a 72/73 26in radiator support panel here.
Are you willing to part with it? My 72 has a 360 in it, and I am installing the 500 inch RB, so, I either cut my core support to accomodate the 26 or replace the core support.

This may help.
1969 - 1971 C body Stub Frame (subframe)

Sorry to hijack.....are you saying the radiator core supports are BOLTED in on a C-body?
I had a 1969 Charger RT B-body and the radiator core support was welded in like your Roadrunner, but I've never seen a C-body that was welded in. I would not have considered the swap if the panel was welded in place. Post a pic of your purple beeper if you have time. Ben
ddcd201da806b6583d1304b08eb69135.jpg

Are you willing to part with it? My 72 has a 360 in it, and I am installing the 500 inch RB, so, I either cut my core support to accomodate the 26 or replace the core support.
Sure, but i will give Ben first dibs on it after I take pics.

So, the question might now become "Will a Torsion-Quiet core support attach to a similar application non-Torsion-Quiet front frame structure IF the appropriate body insulators/mounts are used? As the main difference in height at the mounts would be the difference in the height of the mounts themselves? Considering that the upper core support mount locations would be similar as the fender mounts should be at the same build height?"

Considering the "secret location of the VIN" on the core support, might be best to get a reciprocating saw and modify the existing core support for air flow to get to the wider radiator. BUT this might not be a really big deal as the other "secret locations" would still be intact?

Remember, too, for the 1972 model year, Chrysler had a service campaign to put die-cut rubber sheeting between the grille/valence panel and the core support! In hot weather with the a/c running, it was possible for the hot air going through the radiator was hit with a "tail wind" and then re-cycled through the radiator/condenser, resulting in higher a/c head pressures and blown-apart a/c hoses. So the sheeting was added to ensure the air coming forward from under the car didn't go directly into the radiator, but came in through the grille area, if at all. There was also a "TIC" valve added (in a new thermostat housing) to put manifold vacuum to the distributor so the vacuum advance would work at idle and speed up the engine to keep the fan running fast enough to counteract the "tail wind" affect, but only work when a certain coolant temp threshold was reached.

If anybody's concerned about cooling issues, replicating these die-cut rubber sheets might be an option. Similar thickness/pliability of rubber as used in the upper control arm water rubber water shields, typically.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

On C-bodies, I believe it's under the coolant freezing temp label?

On C-bodies, I believe it's under the coolant freezing temp label?
Never seen one there on a C-body. Seen them in that spot on B-bodies.

I could be wrong, but I sandblasted the replacement yoke for my car off a '71 New Yorker and there was no VIN that I saw.

Back