Status
Not open for further replies.

72Fury

Reaction score
Contact seller
00K0K_1xcMff6Xi3K_600x450.jpg

$4500
1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible

This is a repeat. He wants no less than $4500 for it last I heard but now he says OBO. But it needs a lot of work, especially the interior. The body, however, despite the appearance is supposedly pretty rust free, although I would wager that the trunk floor will need replacement once you try to push a screwdriver through it and succeed. It also runs around the yard but no brakes. I think he said he has had it about 3 months and bought it from a guy in Idaho that was going to scrap it. So he wants to make some money it seems so he can recover his transport money and then some.

Few people will take on a project that needy anymore.

Last edited:
When looking at the pictures, the "50'" looks reasonably decent, but those "5'" ones of the interior and such offer a much different look at things! Complete interior restoration needed, no matter what. Complete underhood detailing and paint, too.

Certainly, the numbers of these cars have dwindled from their original production, which makes them "rare" and "valuable" to some. If you paid somebody to do that car, no way to get the return on investment in the next decade or so. If you can do most of it yourself, that helps, but still you have to value YOUR time, too. Not to mention getting good replacement interior parts!

But somebody will bite for it. At Mopar Nats, we'd see very rusty cars come in on trailers or car haulers. Stated prices which were about double what we'd expect the car to be worth. The next day, it'd be hauled out by a different hauler and "SOLD" on it. We'd just shake our heads. But then what we call RUST in TX is more like surface rust in OH, it seems. OR perhaps some are more dedicated to honing their restoration and body working skills? They tripped somebody's "trigger", apparently.

If done right, it'll be a great car!

CBODY67

Wow.. this one looks like it's been parked in a lake a couple of years.. but GREAT that it (hopefully) gets saved!

I was just about to offer a grille with bracketry, and front bumper, if someone "overhere" takes on the challenge, but it seems like he got the grille and headlight doors sorted.. (maybe the best looking parts in this offer. :-D )

Love the color combo.

It doesn’t look like any interior would have had a chance in this one...

This drives me crazy... $4500 for a POS that might be OK as a parts car.

To fix that car, you'd be looking at spending a ton of money on every single part of the car. Even if you did a lot of the work yourself, you could be deep into this car for $20-30k all together and hundreds of hours worth of work....

Why would you do that when you can buy a car that needs a little work for a few grand more... or hell... Buy something like this Imperial that is ready to rock and roll for $15k.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.craigslist.org%2F00a0a_4w2LHDkdDmi_1200x900.jpg

I get the "love of the car" deal.... I'm way upside down in my 300, so I'm guilty of not caring about the value.. and I get the concept of buying it cheap and restoring it as you can afford.... I just see this 300 as insanity to even consider fixing it.

Even if it were free.

A white interior is required, these blue interiors didn't fare well with the environment

Actually, my Mopar club associates discovered that black holds up best, in the long run. In the later '80s, pre-resto-parts available . . . all of the plastic E-body door panels in white would flake/bread if you touched them. The black ones didn't. Seems that the black plastic has a UV ray absorber (or it's just the color itself), but other colors don't. "Clear" has the poorest durability when out in the sun, by observation. At least in molded plastics.

I like the outside color. A blue interior would be different. With a white one, you'd need sunglasses in the summer, with the top down, due to all of the white reflectivity. A black interior would work, too, as the black would evaporate out any moisture which might accrue from "leaks" or such.

I concur that the car needs to be saved, if possible, due to its low prod numbers and such (or ANY Mopar convertible, for that matter!). I suspect it would take a parts car to do it, too. Rusty footwells are probably there. What about other inner structures that are normally protected in a hardtop? The drivetrain could probably be re-vived and work decently while everything else is being done? But the ONLY way to do it is to do it right, up front, rather than patching something to do it over later (do it right the second time). This would probably take two things . . . an underlying love of that model and year of 300 and about $100K to spend by the time it's over. Hopefully, a good bit would be left in the bank, but some things will be expensive to find and refurbish. We also know how some "estimates" need to be doubled in time spent and money spent.

It'll be a nice car when it's re-done correctly, but it's going to have to trip some triggers.

I feel my money would be better spent on a '66 Crown convertible. That was the first "collector" car I wanted to buy, back when, but parts availability and basic car pricing (1978 time frame) made me look elsewhere. I still like the look of that series of Imperial, though.

CBODY67

Last edited:
Actually, my iMopar club associates discovered that black holds up best, in the long run. In the later '80s, pre-resto-parts available . . . all of the plastic E-body door panels in white would flake/bread if you touched them. The black ones didn't. Seems that the black plastic has a UV ray absorber (or it's just the color itself), but other colors don't. "Clear" has the poorest durability when out in the sun, by observation. At least in molded plastics.

CBODY67

True, the white panels do turn to dust in the sun but they look best in every car . My 72 Challenger had a white gut and the panels were always chalky

I feel my money would be better spent on a '66 Crown convertible. That was the first "collector" car I wanted to buy, back when, but parts availability and basic car pricing (1978 time frame) made me look elsewhere. I still like the look of that series of Imperial, though.

As of a month ago, when I last saw it, this one was still available. I've seen the car up close and it's nicer than the pics.

For Sale - 1966 Imperial Crown Convertible. Camillus, NY

True, the white panels do turn to dust in the sun but they look best in every car . My 72 Challenger had a white gut and the panels were always chalky

I have seen that happen in some cars. But the interior panels in Jezebelle are original, (white), and show no signs of deterioration. I think the molded plastic panels are the ones that lose their integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back