1970 300 - Is replacing the power steering seals as easy as it looks in the pics?

Reaction score
From the 1970 service manual. Anyone do this? I can't tell if its just leaking from the top nut or locknut or both? It looks like you just take the top nut off to replace the top seal, then the locknut to replace the O ring seal. Easy, or not? I know I'll have to play with the top nut to adjust the slop in the steering wheel. Thanks.

IMG_E4339.JPG

IMG_E4344.JPG

Chrome58

Reaction score
I'm not sure you can do this without having the steering box out of the car and on a work bench.

Reaction score
Bummer. I saw some guy take one apart on a workbench on YT, but he said he didn't know what he was doing. Looks like once the top nut and locknut is off, (I can get to these easily), the steel dome dust cover might twist off and then get a pick to take out the O ring seal but I don't want to screw anything up since it works great, except leaks. I'm afraid the shaft might fall out or something become dislodged. I'm also afraid housing is scored and therefore even with new seals, it'll always leak.

I'm tempted to just JB weld it where its leaking around the locknut, but I know I'd probably never be able to unscrew it. Good idea? (Car will never win any awards.). JB worked on my oil pan hole, and power steering pump housing crack and probably other things I forgot about years ago.

Last edited: