1970 300 vert speedometer not working

challenger

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my 300 ready to sell and the speedometer quit working. When I last worked on it a couple of years ago I purchased a new cable because the original cable was making noise and made the speed jumpy. I did a fair amount of research but still ended up with a cable that was longer than the original. This wasn't a big deal at the time as it just left a bigger loop in the engine compartment. The cable and speedometer worked during the short time I used the car which was maybe 5 miles. My question is whether or not the cable should turn the gear in the transmission when I turn it by hand or if doing so means the gear in the transmission is stripped.
Many thanks for the pointers.

No it shouldn’t. It could be cable or gear problem or simply not fully engaged. Pull the cable out and check it. You can also turn it while at the same time putting pressure on it by pushing it towards the gear. See what happens.

I am in the process of getting my 300 ready to sell and the speedometer quit working. When I last worked on it a couple of years ago I purchased a new cable because the original cable was making noise and made the speed jumpy. I did a fair amount of research but still ended up with a cable that was longer than the original. This wasn't a big deal at the time as it just left a bigger loop in the engine compartment. The cable and speedometer worked during the short time I used the car which was maybe 5 miles. My question is whether or not the cable should turn the gear in the transmission when I turn it by hand or if doing so means the gear in the transmission is stripped.
Many thanks for the pointers.

I would really like to have a look at your car, if you are selling. thanks mark !

Back