1970 Chrysler 300 Antenna Not Straight

Vinny

Reaction score
Hello all. The antenna on my 70 300 does not sit straight. The base plate is perfectly to the fender contour angle, but it seems that the angle at the top of the base plate is too severe and this makes the antenna lean way to the outside of the car. Should there be a beveled gasket under the base to allow the antenna base to sit vertically? What am I missing here? Any pictures or details would be appreciated. Thank you.

Vinny

Power or manual?

Probably wrong antennae base. A picture would help.

I apologize, it is a manual antenna. The bezel part number is 2926209, which is correct according to my part number search.

There were no shims, gaskets or otherwise on the antenna mounting. Mounted in the wrong place, body damage, antenna not seated properly??

Pictures might help.

Alan

Here are some photos of the installation.

59B4BDD4-4B8D-4166-94C3-415A006DA874.jpeg

204F68B5-FAAE-4004-9488-40D34E158537.jpeg

42B0D8C6-5EDA-4CA3-8399-91F374EFB20E.jpeg

A778F8DB-74C7-4BFC-AF7E-6A05E2514A3D.jpeg

7D42EE86-6FF9-452B-BF7E-3D8710CBE6E4.jpeg

My 1970 Fury has stock antenna and base. Antenna leans "just a bit outside!" I thought maybe it was a styling thing.

The base/bezel does look correctly installed, BUT it appears the mast is not screwing into it "flatly", evidenced by the gap between the bottom of the mast base and the center black vinyl insulator. Yet the black insulator appears to be at the correct angle (negating any issues which might be happening on the inside surface of the fender). What is the source of that antenna mast? Just curious.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

the mast looks different from what my 70 & 71 C bodies have - mine do not have the rounded chrome bottom on the mast .

none of them go out to the edge of the black insulator. i think you might have an older mast ?

heres a pic of the base on my 70 300 and a pic of the antenna mast on another base ( non 70 300)

antenna base.jpg

antenna mast.jpg

The '65-'68 manual antennas were the same with no replaceable mast, from the topside. The 60" replaceable mast started in '69 with the 31" solid stainless steel mast being used in 1972+ vehicles. Both of the replaceable masts has two flatspots for a wrench to index with to tighten them down securely.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

the 31" solid stainless steel mast being used in 1972+ vehicles.
1971 for the C-Bodies.

The switch came when FM radios started becoming more popular.

31" is about the optimal size for FM reception. It's roughly the size of a quarter wavelength of FM radio signal at 100Mhz.

I like the one piece solid mast for a lot of reasons. It's more durable, works with the FM, and it's easy to find a replacement. IMHO, they look a little better too.

@Vinny , I would unscrew that mast and from looking at the pics, I'll bet it's bent. A replacement mast is the easiest thing... As I said, I kind of like the solid mast but that's up to you.

the mast looks different from what my 70 & 71 C bodies have - mine do not have the rounded chrome bottom on the mast .

none of them go out to the edge of the black insulator. i think you might have an older mast ?

heres a pic of the base on my 70 300 and a pic of the antenna mast on another base ( non 70 300)

View attachment 517115

View attachment 517116
Marko, you sent the picture I was looking for. Your base seems closer to the fender molding than mine. This would raise the edge of the base and in turn tilt the antenna towards the center of the car. Could you please measure the distance from the base to the molding? My mast is not bent. I replaced the mast with the one off my Superbird and nothing changes. I feel the base does not land in the intended spot on the fender to allow for a level platform when the nut is tightened. Thank to all, for the information I have received.

Vinny

Marko, you sent the picture I was looking for. Your base seems closer to the fender molding than mine. This would raise the edge of the base and in turn tilt the antenna towards the center of the car. Could you please measure the distance from the base to the molding? My mast is not bent. I replaced the mast with the one off my Superbird and nothing changes. I feel the base does not land in the intended spot on the fender to allow for a level platform when the nut is tightened. Thank to all, for the information I have received.

Vinny

i will get the measurement for you on saturday

mark

@Vinny

sorry for the delay, didnt get out to the car until today.

got suspicious of the tape measure and found it wasnt the same as 2 others so i
rechecked it and i get 5/16s to 3/8s

mark

1646251163647.png

Last edited:
Back