1970 Chrysler 440 HP color?

mdh157

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what it was from the factory? Orange or blue? Does this look suspect to you?

full-2847-583-dscn0215.jpg

full-2847-583-dscn0215.jpg

I'm looking at that rusty compressor clutch.
Is this one of those $20,000.00 cars and the idiot says "a/c not working probably needs recharged" Arrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh.

pics....will forward more if/when I get any. prob is, the eng is supp to be untouched orig, something ain't right here

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

the car looks nice but the engine bay is not so original. Wrong radiator, upper part of the rad support paintet black, firwall looks to be gold instead of white. Engine seems to glossy compared to the rusty compressor clutch

That car does look nice in general. What is the asking price?

$7500.........the driver's fender and door were repl in the 70's, so maybe the rad support was repl as well, i don't know. only prob is, if the support was repl then the fender tag on the car may not be right.

as usual, find something that looks decent, but it's not what it seems. and you guys keep asking me why i haven't bought anything!

the car looks nice but the engine bay is not so original. Wrong radiator, upper part of the rad support paintet black, firwall looks to be gold instead of white. Engine seems to glossy compared to the rusty compressor clutch
Where's the Windshield Washer Solvent reservoir?
Incorrect wiper motor.
Funny little shnozzle on the driver's side air cleaner snorkel.
Looks like all the replacement parts came from AutoZone.
The PVC hose routed incorrectly - aftermarket carb?

Last edited:
i don't car if soem parts came from auto zone........just if the eng/tran s are orig and if the car is fairly rust free underneath. the car was painted in thew 70's, so maybe the eng was removed during that time and repainted the wrong color and they painted the firewall at that time. that small stuff is all fixable.

All that stuff is easily replaced and fixed in ONE day! It looks like a very nice car. I would go look at it, and with no other surprises and make him an offer.

I was fortunate to be involved in one of the best restorations out there of a 70 300 Hurst. The engine, as Commando mentioned was Orange. As mentioned the firewall on the Hursts I've seen have been white...but with Chrysler you never know. For $7500 it looks to be a steal from the pics...but you never buy sight unseen, there could be some hidden ugly. Some guys are excellent at framing pictures in their adds to hide flaws.

Yes, Mr. C.........just went through that last month when I went to look at a car...was full of mud in the qtrs, but he swore it never had any work done

By the way...this looks to be one of the most loaded with options Hurst 300s I've seen...it has cornering lamps, console, tilt/tele and Autotemp....rarely is it that all these options are found in one car.

After staring at the engine compartment...is the firewall gold, or just really dirty white?...Factory fust proofing maybe?

By the way...this looks to be one of the most loaded with options Hurst 300s I've seen...it has cornering lamps, console, tilt/tele and Autotemp....rarely is it that all these options are found in one car.

I know..........isn't that great? I'm dying to see the tag. if it's the orig interior then it may have a sheet in it as well.

btw Mr C, how do you know it has auto temp? something under the hood give it away?

I would check if the car had a complete repaint what would be my guess. At least the front end with the hood included and the fiberglass trunklid usually needed to be redone as well. There's gold overspray on the firewall including the wiper motor and the hinges, the custom paint wasn*t done that well, but that's a bit too sloppy. At least compared to my car, haven't seen too many myself.
The curve of the pinstriping around the turn signal indicator is also a bit different than I recall, but you already mentioned replacement of this fender.
Love the console shift, they should have all come this way in the first place, also has cruise control I think ?

Last edited:
Yes the firewall is white. It's just the lighting in the pictures. If you look along the inside of top of the fenders and hood hinges, they look gold in the picture looking into the engine bay. Look at the picture of the interior right above the steering wheel looking into the engine bay and you can see the inner top of the fender and the hood hinge is white. It does have cruise control. I see the the cruise control mounted on the left fender.

Back