1970 Chrysler Newport Manual AC- compressor clutch won't engage. Help needed.

NWPT70

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1970 Chrysler Newport with the manual AC system.. the AC has always blown cold. Still filled with r12.

This season I noticed the AC doesn't blow cold anymore. The compressor clutch simply wont engage. Under the assumption my r12 didn't leak out , what should I do to troubleshoot this myself? is there a fuse, and or relay for the clutch? If so, what is the fuse # and relay location? Any input is appreciated.

There should be a pressure switch that would not let the clutch engage if you are out of r12 so check that you really have enough gas first

You can check the pressure switch using a continuity tester, if you have a completed circuit between the switch terminals, you have a charged system and the switch is functioning properly. The next thing to check is if you are getting power to the clutch from the control circuit. Disconnect the compressor from the lead and see if you can get a test light to light up. If you have power to the clutch and it does not engage, you have a bad coil assembly for the clutch. Most of the time if a system won't run it is because the pressure switch has tripped from low gas pressure.

Dave

Back