1970 Chrysler Newport tire size conversion

NWPT70

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the ancient L78-15 bias ply tires on my recently aquired 1970 Newport coupe with stock steel rims. From what I have researched a modern alternative could be 235/75/r15? Is this the closest match?

Well best advice I can give you is there are a bazillion threads on this topic throughout the site but in short form 235/75R15's are as close to L78-15's as you will get. And if you want to know what the largest tires you can fit on your Newport this gentleman is the reigning authority on the subject..... @commando1 :rolleyes:

142310-Raidal-Cross-Reference.jpg

Thanks for that confirmation. Conveniently, it seems like 235/75/15 is fairly common so lots of tires to choose from.

Hankook Optima whitewalls will work well on your Newport and are inexpensive and readily available

I just ordered a set of 4 off eBay for $266 delivered. What a bargain.

I am looking to replace the ancient L78-15 bias ply tires on my recently aquired 1970 Newport coupe with stock steel rims. From what I have researched a modern alternative could be 235/75/r15? Is this the closest match?

Yes. My chart shows the 235x75x15 to be the correct crossover for a H78x15, or 9:00x15 tire.

I prefer the Cooper Trendsetters mainly because of the sidewall style being more in line with the original look. The hankook's have an aggressive sidewall design, Plus they are Chinese. Coopers are at least made in North America. I don't recall any C body's coming with Chinese tires.

DSC05056.JPG

I agree with your comments Will, but the one advantage the Hankooks have is their 108 load rating compared to the 105 rating of the Cooper Trendsetters, that translates to a more stout tire for the Hankooks which tends to aid cornering characteristics for our large yachts. I find myself focusing on the great looking road wheels rather than the sidewall pattern.

But neither of these tires even closely compares to the whitewall 235/70/15 Michelin radials I used to be able to buy for these cars maybe 15 years ago now. Those were clearly the best tires I ever had on one of my C bodies in every respect and the tire contact patch seemed to be twice as wide as what is available now.

I ended up buying the Hankooks based on all the good reviews they have while also considering price. (They are very affordable.) If white walls weren't my preference on this Newport I would have probably been buying Goodyear Radial T/As. I've had a good experience with them.

I agree with your comments Will, but the one advantage the Hankooks have is their 108 load rating compared to the 105 rating of the Cooper Trendsetters, that translates to a more stout tire for the Hankooks which tends to aid cornering characteristics for our large yachts. I find myself focusing on the great looking road wheels rather than the sidewall pattern.

But neither of these tires even closely compares to the whitewall 235/70/15 Michelin radials I used to be able to buy for these cars maybe 15 years ago now. Those were clearly the best tires I ever had on one of my C bodies in every respect and the tire contact patch seemed to be twice as wide as what is available now.

sound reasoning, I agree the Hankook tire is superior to the Cooper in load rating and tread life. If aggressive driving is a factor they are likely the best choice. I just can't get past their non OEM appearance and where they are manufactured.

Still, the Cooper's are far and away superior to the original bias tires of the day.

Michelin is my tire of choice also. Hard to justify the cost though.

Sold Hankooks for many years they wear like iron but had many vibration complaints compared to other major brands. Im getting Cooper trendsetters for my 67 for the WW and price only. I dont put many miles on my classics so no biggie. Michelin are great tires but dont weather well and cost TOO MUCH lol

Back