For Sale 1970 Dodge Polara Convertible in OH (not mine) $10k

Status
Not open for further replies.

PH27L7

Reaction score
Contact seller
Doubt this is an original OH car based on body, appears to be rust free. Not mine.
Cars On Line.com | Classic Cars For Sale

Dodge Polara Convertible. New Convertible top, with original rear glass and original boot. Factory 383 2bl, factory air, 323 gears, New windshield, dual exh, factory am/fm 8-track, All original sheet metal with no patches, painted once in the original color. 225-70-r14 new tires, 113,000 original miles, engine and transmission was rebuilt years ago but only have put 2,000 miles on it since. Needs interior work, have some extra parts, has a clear ohio title. No rain since 1991!! Only 842 of these cars were made!!!!!

Price $ 10,000 Negotiable, need to sell Call 440 654 8431 Amherst, OH USA
70dodge102979-01-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-02-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-03-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-04-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-10-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-11-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-16-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-18-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-19-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-20-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-21-lightbox.jpg

Neat car. But I am only in the market for 1 blue C body, and it has a roof. Otherwise its truck/charger time.

Thank @PH27L7! I like it. This said, a rational person would want to get Snow White done (my N-code 1970 Polara 'vert) before considering a third Polara 'vert, so I am probably out.

Meanwhile, here are a few quick thoughts. IMHO, the repainted exterior looks good even if the material (and the trim on the rearmost bow) of the new roof are incorrect and the mirrors are aftermarket units). It is surprising that there is no photo of the front bench or of the carpet. The steering wheel is incorrect, in fact it looks like it came out of a Chrysler Newport. Given the shape of the interior (the rear seats especially) and the amount of de-chroming on the rear bumper (see the spots where the trunk-and hood-surround channels drain water), I suspect that the car saw quite a bit of outside exposure before 1991 (since when it apparently has not seen rain). My guess, based on the dash photo, is that the fuel gauge does not work. Regardless, if the car is solid, then it should be a nice driver: I hope that it goes to a good home -- whether mine or someone else's.

PS: I'll be driving close through Amherst at the end of July, so if the car is still available by then I can go and have a look if someone is interested.

70dodge102979-05-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-06-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-07-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-08-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-12-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-13-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-15-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-14-lightbox.jpg

70dodge102979-19-lightbox.jpg

Last edited:
In a few years I may be on this list, I so want a convertible (even to the point of maybe selling a car).

Alan
We can take my name out and put yours in.

I have what I feel is the best convertible for me. Not the best out there. Just the best one for me.

I like it, too bad the back panels were hacked up for speakers, they can't be easy to find. Otherwise, nice car!

Talked to the seller's brother at length a couple of hours ago, as I’m interested (even though I should not be if I knew what's good for me :rolleyes:). Here is a summary of what I've gathered:

There is no fender tag or build sheet. The tag was lost when the car was repainted 15 or so years ago. At his brother's suggestion, the seller recently pulled the rear seats to try to find a build sheet but he found none. The carpets have been replaced and the side and door panels have clearly been taken out at some point, so I doubt that there is a sheet left to find underneath the carpet or in the sides (there is a small hope left for the front seats and/or the glove box). I have, however, seen the VIN plate (should be a late 02-1970 build) and the title (if I read it correctly, the seller has owned the car for 16+ years; the seller's brother told me since 1991).

The top was originally white (V3W). It was in very poor shape and was replaced by the current owner with a black one that he preferred. The four bumper guards (M85) were taken off the bumpers but the seller kept them and they come with the car. I was told that the original 8-track radio (Edit: R22 not R37?) and single rear speaker (R31) are both still there, but the owner installed an aftermarket radio under the dash and four speakers -- thereby messing up the rear side panels and the front plastic lowers too, unfortunately.

The 383-2 engine (E61) and 727 trans (D32) were apparently rebuilt by a Chrysler shop for the prior owner (i.e., the one before the seller). The current owner replaced the 4.10:1(?) gears by 3.23 gears and he painted the valve covers (but not the engine).

The 14-in wheels and covers were there when the current owner bought the car. Perhaps (the brother had no idea if that was the case) the previous owner, who had added the super-low gearing, had also put on some fancy aftermarket wheels that he took off at resale time, replacing them with 14-inchers that he had around. Who knows?

Back to facts. Brakes are power drums (B51), with an aftermarket master cylinder. The car has the brake pedals dress-up kit (J41). Newer brake lines and three new drums. Belts and hoses were likewise also changed not too long ago -- all the car apparently needs at this time are new shocks all around and an alignment. The tires are new.

The car has not been driven much, the title says it had 108,500 miles as of 2004 (vs. 111,309 now). It does run however: the brother told me that the owner drove 25 miles to his place and back this past Monday, and that the car was fine. It has been kept in a garage for the length of ownership and driven from time to time, always for short distances on an annual basis -- never any long distance trip :poke:

It has 2-speed wipers and manual LH mirror, so it does not have the A04 package as the latter includes 3-speed wipers and a remote driver's side mirror. It does have fender signal repeaters (L31) and cruise control (N88, which does not work) -- both of which I like -- as well as a clock (J21) and manual A/C (H51) -- the heater works but the A/C never did for as long as the current owner has had the car. The car looks like it has the usual wide sill (M25) and belt (M31) mouldings, as well as black rubber inserts in the side mouldings (V5X).

Based on the 50 or so pics I’ve seen, the car is solid. Yes, there are a couple of pinholes in the lower quarters, but they do not look rotten -- and the underside/trunk/channels/rockers all look very clean. From what I can see, the car had the undercoating package (J55, including insulator hood pad -- which is missing). Not having seen the car in person, only in photos, I would agree with the seller that some metal patching/repainting is what's needed. The bumpers should ideally be re-chromed, but they are certainly not a deal-breaker.

The interior is the bigger issue for me, as it does not look great (the carpet was replaced and looks much newer than the vinyl, which has a couple of tears in the rear (discolored, too) and the front. The car comes with a few spare parts, including a passenger front fender molding whose black rubber insert (V5X) could be used to replace the one missing from the original.

Bottom line: I like the car. I would not mind owning it as a driver, but only at the right price ($10k is too high IMHO). If someone else wants it, though, then by all means they should go for it and not worry about me -- I already have two Polara 'verts and I will therefore wait for a few days before making an offer (till I am sure that no one else here wants it).

Last edited:
Talked to the seller at length as I’m interested even though I should not be. He’s owned the car for many years. There is no fender tag or build sheet. The tag was lost when the car was repainted 15 or so years ago. I have seen the VIN plate and the title.

The top was originally white (V1W). It was in very poor shape and was replaced by the current owner with a black one that he prefers. The four bumper guards (M85) are off the bumpers but come with the car. I was told that the original 8-track radio (R37) is there, but the owner installed another radio under the dash and four speakers.

The 383-2 engine and 727 trans were rebuilt by a Chrysler shop for the owner before the current one. The latter replaced the 4.10 gears by 3.23 and painted the valve covers (but not the engine). The 14-in wheels and covers were there when the current owner bought the car. Brakes are power drums (B51), new lines and drums. The car has not been driven much, the title says it has 108,500 miles when purchased in 2004.

Based on all the pics I’ve seen, the car is solid.

R22 .. not R37.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back