1970 Fury Convertible

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Fury Conv 4-14-14 Photo Avatar.jpg5-4-14 Interior 4.jpg

I live in Richmond, VA area. I have owned this fury 3 convertible since October of last year. Was originally a green/green 318/904 4 wheel drum car. Someone painted it white, which is my favorite color for convertibles. I have since converted the interior to white, except dash. I have converted to front disc 1969-72 type. I converted to Sport Fury Grill. Plans are for 440/727 8 3/4 conversion later. Other than a carb rebuild and some overheating problems that were corrected with a fan spacer and factory shroud, the car has been a blast to drive. Thanks for having me onsite. Ben

Fury Conv 4-14-14 Photo Avatar.jpg

5-4-14 Interior 4.jpg

I bought in on eBay from a gentleman in Connecticut. He was not using the car and downsizing his collection. I bought it for $3500, which I thought was a steal. I bought a 70 Sport Fury parts car in West Virginia. With truck transportation on both and various parts, I've probably got 6 or 7 grand in the project now. It's been worth every penny. Hagerty was great about insuring it too.

I'm sure that if Frank Sinatra did it his way, he would have a white interior too.:sSig_thanks:

Welcome, great looking car. White interior is the way to go. Love the grille upgrade, all 1970 Fury should have come like that. Those front seats are interesting, what are they out of?

Welcome, great looking car. White interior is the way to go. Love the grille upgrade, all 1970 Fury should have come like that. Those front seats are interesting, what are they out of?

Can't give an exact answer. I believe they are from a 71 or 72 Fury. They were in the 70 Fury parts carts car that I bought, but they are not 70 seats. The runners fit the 70 floor pan exactly. I've seem 71 and 72 Fury buckets and these look same.

Nice looking.

So is yours. I think all 70 Fury convertibles are nice looking and with only 1952 made, quite rare. Mine has 318 and bulge hood with turn signals in the hood, just like yours. I had a terrible time with a short in the wiring to the left hood turn signal causing my front signals not to work. I had no left signal and 3 blinks at most before the right signals all shut off. I fixed it and some grounds at the rear and all the lights work fine.
What are your plans for your car?

An eBay car and we don't remember it...
Welcome.

The car was actually on ebay twice. The first time, I was planning a bid, but I was at work when the auction closed. The first bidder was no pay. The car popped up again in October of last year and at the same time a green 70 Fury convertible with a 383 was selling on ebay. The green car may have been in Pennsylvania, not sure. The nice thing was that the 2 cars competing held the price down. I bid on mine at end of auction and was the only bidder above the reserve price, so it sold at reserve price. I had talked to the owner on the phone, and he was happy to find that I was the one who bought his car. Great for everybody involved.

An eBay car and we don't remember it...
Welcome.

The car was actually on ebay twice. The first time, I was planning a bid, but I was at work when the auction closed. The first bidder was no pay. The car popped up again in October of last year and at the same time a green 70 Fury convertible with a 383 was selling on ebay. The green car may have been in Pennsylvania, not sure. The nice thing was that the 2 cars competing held the price down. I bid on mine at end of auction and was the only bidder above the reserve price, so it sold at reserve price. I had talked to the owner on the phone, and he was happy to find that I was the one who bought his car. Great for everybody involved.
Great story.
I believe I remember the green one. Was that the one the seller super enhanced the photos to make it better than it really was?

Posted via Topify on Android

Going to go back to its original dark burnt orange. It has a 318 that has been bored .15 over and has the purple cam. Going put a holly 4bbl( 550) on it. The trans is 727 with a shift kit. A friend had a 71 sport fury with a 360 he was parting out so I got the exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust.

Welcome! My first vert was a '70 Fury. If she had been as nice as yours, I would have kept her...

Welcome! I'm just down the road in NC. Parting a 69 Fury III hardtop if you need anything maybe I can help.

Great story.
I believe I remember the green one. Was that the one the seller super enhanced the photos to make it better than it really was?

Not sure about photo enhance. He had bought the green 70 vert with a bunch of parts. The car seemed to be in a parts warehouse. I think his buy it now was something ridiculous, like $4000-5000 for a non-running car. The car wasn't bad, but it wasn't rust-free. The seller had a lot of positive feed back, but I don't think the car sold. The seller for my car didn't have nearly as much feedback, like less than 20 positiveFront Qtr View.jpg. That may have hurt demand. This is his picture from eBay when the car was still in Connecticut.

Front Qtr View.jpg

Burnt Orange

Going to go back to its original dark burnt orange. It has a 318 that has been bored .15 over and has the purple cam. Going put a holly 4bbl( 550) on it. The trans is 727 with a shift kit. A friend had a 71 sport fury with a 360 he was parting out so I got the exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/68imperialcrown/
You've got to check out the above website: fully restored 70 Burnt Orange Convertible, Sport Fury clone. (ignore 68 Imperial crown) The car was done by a bodyshop owner in Delaware. Then sold overseas to a Scandinavian buyer, I think. Beautiful car. Sample below.
ss1.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/68imperialcrown/
You've got to check out the above website: fully restored 70 Burnt Orange Convertible, Sport Fury clone. (ignore 68 Imperial crown) The car was done by a bodyshop owner in Delaware. Then sold overseas to a Scandinavian buyer, I think. Beautiful car. Sample below.
ss1.jpg

I had seen that one. I haven't decided on wheels or hub caps. Really. Like chrome reversed with moon face caps. How many of these things still are around?

Back