1970 Fury, Evidence of Fender Bender

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Installed Cooper Cobra 275/60 R15 tires on my 1970 Fury convertible, stock 8.75 rear. I installed them after reading on FCBO that they would fit. The one on the right side fit just fine, but the one on the left side, not so much. I installed the tire and rim, took the car for a test drive, and heard rubbing noises every time I made a left turn. I had never noticed evidence of body damage in the left rear quarter, so I was puzzled.
11-22-16-5CV.jpg

I jacked up the rear of the car, took the tire off, and looked closely at the wheel well. I got a reminder of what body repair looks like. You can also see the rub marks above the repair.
20180909_125450.jpg

20180909_125255.jpg

20180909_125300.jpg

20180909_125305.jpg

Bill @Fury440 suggested this solution. In my case, luckily, after 2 tries the rubbing stopped.
20180909_150647.jpg

Thanks Bill for the advice. I'm also grateful that whoever hung the quarter did, at least in my opinion, a really good job. And for anyone who runs into tire rub, the pictures may indicate your problem. Just thought I'd post this is FYI.

I just put the same size on the rear of my '70 Fury. I had to trim the left rear. Mine has had some very shoddy body work done to it in its past.

20180911_205332.jpg

Installed Cooper Cobra 275/60 R15 tires on my 1970 Fury convertible, stock 8.75 rear. I installed them after reading on FCBO that they would fit. The one on the right side fit just fine, but the one on the left side, not so much. I installed the tire and rim, took the car for a test drive, and heard rubbing noises every time I made a left turn. I had never noticed evidence of body damage in the left rear quarter, so I was puzzled.
View attachment 212650
I jacked up the rear of the car, took the tire off, and looked closely at the wheel well. I got a reminder of what body repair looks like. You can also see the rub marks above the repair.
View attachment 212651
View attachment 212652
View attachment 212653
View attachment 212654
Bill @Fury440 suggested this solution. In my case, luckily, after 2 tries the rubbing stopped.
View attachment 212655
Thanks Bill for the advice. I'm also grateful that whoever hung the quarter did, at least in my opinion, a really good job. And for anyone who runs into tire rub, the pictures may indicate your problem. Just thought I'd post this is FYI.
Wow. That dude sits perfect on those rims. Great stance n greater car. Nice.

Thanks Bill for the advice. I'm also grateful that whoever hung the quarter did, at least in my opinion, a really good job. And for anyone who runs into tire rub, the pictures may indicate your problem. Just thought I'd post this is FYI.[/QUOTE]

That does look like a good repair. I would have been wary of proceeding with the jack given the fact that the repair is there and may have even just a small amount of filler that could potentially crack that great paint. Glad it worked out for you.

I just put the same size on the rear of my '70 Fury. I had to trim the left rear. Mine has had some very shoddy body work done to it in its past.

Even with the imperfect repair, that is a nice car and a great photo! Nothing but Black and Chrome, Black and Chrome, more Black, and a red jackstand.

Thanks. I'm glad I didn't think of the paint. I might have have done it. I kept getting out from under the car to see if I was bending the fender. I stopped when I thought I saw the tiniest bulge. After I removed the jack, the quarter went back to it's normal shape.

1970furyconv, Are you running the 275/60's on the front also?

No, I was corresponding with Aidan. @Aidan1976 tells me that 235/70R15 is a size match for the 275 tires on the rear. That's what I have on the front now. I got the idea that anything wider would have clearance problems. Maybe he'll comment further.

Good looking car!

PS: You're in Richmond and you already have brown leaves in mid-September?

No, I was corresponding with Aidan. @Aidan1976 tells me that 235/70R15 is a size match for the 275 tires on the rear. That's what I have on the front now. I got the idea that anything wider would have clearance problems. Maybe he'll comment further.
Yup, that's what I ended up putting on the front. Even though the aspect ratio is different (60 vs 70) they are both a 28" tire. The profile is the same and they fill out the wheel wells. Good looking Fury!

I should have thought of the jack trick when I was trying to get clearance for my tires! And 235's should fit fine, I run them on the front and have never had any issues.

Good looking car!
PS: You're in Richmond and you already have brown leaves in mid-September?
Thanks!
No brown leaves yet, except for poplars, because they go first. Pic is from prior year. Car looks exactly the same. I average maybe 125 miles a year. Fury is locked in my garage waiting for the storm to pass.
The interior just calls me.
20171222_132943.jpg

Look forward to driving it again!

Hey Ben, nice looking tyres man!

Yes, the 275/60 was perfect under the rear of the '69 Pursuit on the standard 7" wide 1978+ police car wheel (6-slotter). Remember now that the '65-'69 rear axle is narrower than the '70-'73 axle. In the future the plans (fingers crossed) are to fit the widened police wheels, 8" with 4.5" BS, that I had made by Brad Powell "The Mopar Dude" in Kansas, using original wheel centres and new rim shells. Higher spec. weld etc. by this lad, says is superior to the full repros by Wheel Vintiques etc. (m y OCD values that if true...).

Here are pics of the widened cop rim, together with one of the widened (to 8") C-Bod Road Wheels completed by the same lad:
20181014_105413.jpg

20181014_105434.jpg

Might as well throw in few extra photos. Here are some photos of the widened 8" steel C-Bod Road Wheel next to the all aluminium construction 6" wide version (used on the '79 300, with weird looking centre caps. These were also used on another model, but hidden beneath a shite-looking turbine cover thing. Mr C, I think you had clarified that for us mere mortals here. My memory getting a bit worse for wear these days):

20181014_105455.jpg

20181014_105509.jpg

I ran 275/60 15 on 7" rim with 3.5 bp for years and they fit fine, but on a 7" rim they puckered in the middle and wore out early. I now have 17" rims and the 275 on an 8" rim forced me to trim the lip quite a bit on both sides.

I ran 235/70/15's on the front and they are great. These cars need a 28" tall tire.

C-Bod Comparison, widened 8" vs. stock 6" steel rims, caps off and on:

20181014_113525.jpg

20181014_114017.jpg

Sorry, am in work on a Sunday, and too lazy to take the trim ring off....

Hey Ben, nice looking tyres man!

Yes, the 275/60 was perfect under the rear of the '69 Pursuit on the standard 7" wide 1978+ police car wheel (6-slotter). Remember now that the '65-'69 rear axle is narrower than the '70-'73 axle. In the future the plans (fingers crossed) are to fit the widened police wheels, 8" with 4.5" BS, that I had made by Brad Powell "The Mopar Dude" in Kansas, using original wheel centres and new rim shells. Higher spec. weld etc. by this lad, says is superior to the full repros by Wheel Vintiques etc. (m y OCD values that if true...). Here are pics of the widened cop rim, together with one of the widened (to 8") C-Bod Road Wheels completed by the same lad:
View attachment 220645View attachment 220646

Hey Aidan, thanks!
With new rear tires and the torque converter cover rattle fixed, my car is a nice cruiser again. Future plans still call for replacing the 318 with a 1969 440 that I have.

Brad Powell, Mopar Dude, does excellent work! Hats off to the Jayhawker!

When are you taking the 69 PK21 to Australia for resto. It looks awfully forlorn just sitting at Gary's house. That one's going to be a great looking car when your done! Encouragement! Encouragement!:D

Ben

Back