1970 Fury Glove Box Door Latch

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I have painted my dash shell and also want to repaint my glove box door. I removed the 2 screws pictured, but it does not seem to expose a clip or some method to release the knob from the latch. I checked chapter 23 1970 FSM. It tells me everything but how to remove the knob from the rear latch. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks, Ben
20171119_105127.jpg

20171119_105019.jpg

20171119_105031.jpg

My reaction is that these A-Body directions show the wrong opening
· The separation of front knob from rear latch

· Remove both screws attaching the latch to the back of the glove box door, ¼ inch short socket, 3 inch extension, ¼ inch ratchet

· Latch: Push the catch so it is held in the closed position.

· Rotate the latch 90° so that the RH side is facing upward. (Don't know what this marking means. It's on the left side of the door latch.) This side must be aligned with the top of the door in order to access the proper aperture through which to depress the release tab. (The A body glove box door directions show the wrong aperture, even for the keyless A body. Check the orientation of the tabs on the shaft. They are 90° away from the bottom of the latch.)

· To depress the release tab, bend a heavy duty paperclip, such that you have a 1/8 inch extension. Insert that through the opening that is exposed when the side of the latch faces up. Depress the release tab, which is the tab closest to the knob, and pull the knob until the release tab releases from the latch.

· You may need to use the paperclip to depress the copper lock tumbler tabs or insert your trunk key in the glove door lock to get the copper tumbler tabs to depress enough to release the entire shaft from the latch.

· Kudos to my wife: I saw that the tabs on the shaft were 90° away from the bottom opening of the latch. My wife, however, was the one smart enough to figure out to turn the latch to see if there was another opening. Once that opening was exposed, it was rather simple to remove the knob. It's always good to have a 2nd pair of eyes
THE CORRECT OPENING: SEE SQUARE OPENING JUST BARELY EXPOSED BEYOND THE EDGE OF THE DOOR
20171120_185926.jpg

RELEASE TAB IS CLOSEST TO KNOB
20171120_192634.jpg

LATCH IN CLOSED POSITION, CORRECT APERTURE ON RIGHT SIDE IN PICTURE
20171120_192707.jpg

ULTIMATE GLOVE BOX DOOR LATCH RELEASE TOOL
20171120_192803.jpg

Back