For Sale 1970 Monaco 2 DrHt - Loaded - 440, Console, Buckets, Gator Grain Vinyl Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Saw this one on Ebay, but not much time left until the auction ends, and a lot of watchers.....
Looks like a good buy and a good project with lots of NOS parts. Only real downside is the Autotemp 1 a/c system. If I didn't already have one almost idential, I would be seriously interested. Surprisingly nice rim blow steering wheel with no apparent cracks:

1970 Dodge Monaco Base Hardtop 2-Door | eBay

Year: 1970 VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): DH23TOD100359
Transmission: Automatic Make: Dodge
Body Type: Hardtop Model:
Monaco
Warranty: Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty Trim: Base Hardtop 2-Door
Vehicle Title: Clear Engine: 7.2L 7211CC 440Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
Power Options: Air Conditioning, Power Windows Drive Type: RWD
Fuel Type: Gasoline Exterior Color: Orange
For Sale By: Private Seller Interior Color: orange
Disability Equipped: No Number of Cylinders: 8

Rare 1970 Dodge Monaco 500 2 door hardtop built on the first day of regular production at the Belvidere Illinois Plant ( as a dealer demo ),on August 4th, 1969, notice the serial number. It is a factory FK5 Burnt Orange car with a factory V1G code Gator Grain Top, and factory burnt orange buckets and console interior. It has the optional and still numbers matching 440 with dual exhaust and dual snorkel air cleaner, the engine has had work done including the timing chain being replaced, not sure exactly what else, but it runs really strong and healthy. The Torqueflite 727 transmission is also still numbers matching and appears to have been possibly rebuilt, at least it shifts really well and has been serviced. It is a factory Sure Grip car, and has factory optional disc brakes in front. It also has tinted glass, AM/8 Track stereo with five speakers, Auto Temp A/C, Power Windows, Remote Trunk Release, Light Package including Fender Turn Signal Indicators, Rim Blow Steering Wheel ( first year for that option and in Burnt Orange no less!), it was also optioned with oversize 15X6 inch wheels and oversize J78X15 dual whitewall tires from the factory, and the deluxe "Dodge Division" wheel covers. The build sheet is included with the car. It also came with the deluxe seat and shoulder belt package with warning light. It has an almost new tinted windshield. Mechanically it is in nice shape except the brake system and exhaust system need some work. The interior needs work, and will need carpeting and headliner, and some of the seat upholstery, although the passenger side bucket seat is in really nice original shape, as is most of the rear seat except for the very top. The door and rear quarter trim panels are all there and in good to very good condition, i just have them removed in the photos because i was lubricating the window regulators and roller tracks, etc. All four windows work. The body will need some work, it has been re-painted in the past in a slightly off color, and there are quite a bit of small scratches, dings and dents to deal with, but nothing very major. The only rust on the car is at the bottom section of the driver's side only front fender ( from dirt getting trapped from the cowl drain), and the very bottom of the passenger side rear quarter panel/ trunk ext. ( from a couple of AA batteries that fell down in there a long time ago ). There is also a very small hole just below the rear window on the driver's side. The trunk floor isn't bad, just some scale, POR 15 should take care of it. The rest of the car is just beautiful and solid, the front stub frame and the rest of the under body are in great shape. I have owned this car for almost seven years now, but find myself unable to continue with it's restoration. I have collected many very hard to find NOS parts for the car that will be included with it. I can provide a part number list of these parts upon request, but they include all four wheel well opening moldings NOS, which also include some side molding sections, ( virtually all of the factory side moldings are present and accounted for ), an NOS complete front grille with both texture panels and headlight bezels, all NOS, both front turn signal assemblies with lenses and gaskets NOS, all four side marker lenses and gaskets NOS, both rear tail light bezels NOS, one back up lens/gasket NOS, one complete NOS back up light assembly with lens and gasket, both front fender extensions NOS, the interior left side instrument panel woodgrain switch panel trim NOS, an NOS 1970 only speedometer, repro burnt orange front arm rest pads, repro driver's side front bucket seat side trim, etc, etc, plus a correct 70 only set of big block valve covers that need to be stripped and painted. Many more parts are included. It took me six years of daily long searching to come up with all of these parts for this car, if i were to restore this car, i would not want to have to go through that again, especially since a lot of the parts are getting near impossible to find, the rear wheel well moldings ( which are 2 door only) are especially hard to find NOS. The value of the NOS parts alone is almost 3K, and that is pricing from years ago. I also have all of the hood edge "dodge" letters. This is a very special C body, in my opinion one of the best looking of all the 69 to 71 C body 2 doors, and it really deserves to be brought back to it's former beauty. It has a set of 15X7 Mopar Police rims on it right now, with some P245/60R15 BFG T/A's on it, but will include the original oversize 15X6 inch wheels and i have about ten of the original wheel covers. Car is sold as-is with no warranty. Payment must be received and or cleared before vehicle or title will be released. Payment can be either certified bank check or by wire transfer which is preferred. Pick up is the buyer's responsibility only. Please message me with any questions. Thanks for looking!

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
"FK5" calling Dave "FK5"

Wow this one would be up there for me if I had the funds right now. Seems too high at the buy it now but I would say knock a couple grand off and it would be doable.

Am I seeing things or is that a Q on the SO # on the tag it is too blurry to really tell

Love it! Who's car is this and why are they selling?

Looks like the interior Mostly needs a Carpet. Love the Dog Dishes.

My sister had one of these, exactly the same option wise, except it was gold. I remember geeking out over the Gator grain, console and back up lens treatment on the Monaco (I was a kid then).

My sister had one of these, exactly the same option wise, except it was gold. I remember geeking out over the Gator grain, console and back up lens treatment on the Monaco (I was a kid then).

and now?

You geeked out over the Gator grain top and console as a kid.... and did you do the same now?

I want to buy this and drive by Dave's house back and forth beeping the horn until he goes postal. And I am carless right now........i assume the gator grain is repro'ed? Also looks like someone put hood pins on it at one time.

Would have to see the undercarriage to see if it was worth it IMO. And of course if the seller had a title in his name!

Last edited:
I want to buy this and drive by Dave's house back and forth beeping the horn until he goes postal. And I am carless right now........i assume the gator grain is repro'ed?

Would have to see the undercarriage to see if it was worth it IMO. And of course if the seller had a title in his name!

yes, Legendary offers a repro for the Gator grain roof

Carsten

I got a little more information from Scott to help in case anyone is seriously interested:

Hello, thanks for your questions. I really hope this very special car goes to a great home. The mileage reads 028,053.0, so i would assume 128,053. There was very little paperwork with the car when i bought it, but it appears to be from the Portland Or. area. I bought it from a Mopar enthusiast in Vancouver, Wa. just across the border with Oregon. I did find some medical paperwork under the rear seat that was from a Stephen Covey, a Vietnam vet, who lived in Portland in the nineties. One of the original 15X6 in wheels has S. Covey written on it's inside rim. But i would guess that it was probably Mr. Covey who had quite a bit of work done to the car back then, he no doubt knew that the car was very rare and unusual. The car was re-painted and some upholstery work done. The control arm bushings were replaced ( i would think the ball joints as ness. also), He had KYB Gas shocks installed also ( which is also what i use on all of my C bodies), and as i said in the ad, the 440 has had some work done, the timing cover has newer gasket sealer around it in spots, and the engine just runs like a top. The transmission is pretty clean overall and it would not surprise me at all that it was overhauled. The brakes just need to be updated with a new master cylinder ( i keep looking for a made in USA one vs. made in China, but i just did not get to it), the brakes actually work pretty well and the car is relatively safe to drive, but the master does need to be replaced. The front brake rotors have some grooves also, and may need to be replaced. A lot of the exhaust system is original, and still in fairly good shape, except one muffler. He ( i am assuming) by passed the auto temp system and has a hidden switch for the blower motor, which does work. The heater core does seep some, so it is going to need to be replaced. The auto temp system and all of the lines are still there though, and appear to be in really good condition. Running out of characters, will have a part two., Scott.

As far as the body work, i can't really see anything major at all in terms of painted over bondo in the car, i guess you would not know everything until the old paint was stripped, but i think it was a pretty clean car when it was re-painted. It appears almost all of the damage happened after it was painted. It will need a bunch of dents/scrapes repaired, but no major body damage at all. Every single original panel can be saved, or replacement bolt on parts used will save on work obviously. As i said, unfortunately i found 2 or 3 AA batteries in the bottom of the passenger rear quarter panel in some muck, and they had leaked and caused damage. A patch panel is all that is necessary for the quarter and extension, same thing for the driver's bottom part of the front fender. The rest of the under body as i said is really quite nice. It is a very restorable car, and will be just stunning when restored, and still with the numbers matching 440 and drive train. Let me know of any other questions you may have, thanks, Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back