For Sale 1970 Newport convertible (69k miles, 383-2, DY3 yellow with black buckets in Joliet, IL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Not mine. CE27LOC192795 is for sale on CL for $13k (additional info on the dealer's website).

"This vehicle comes with power steering, power front disc brakes, power windows, power convertible top w/ boot, air conditioning, AM/FM 8-track player, factory clock, owners manual & sales brochure, full size spare & jack, front bucket seats and much more." I like the road wheels and black buckets and buddy seats, too.

If the air conditioning works and the car is solid, the asking price is not bad for this good-looking and well-equipped 'vert. Note that the rimblow wheel is uncracked, the seats look original yet rip-free and in good shape, and the carpet looks good. [Edit: as others below have noted, there are questions as to inconsistencies in the engine bay and whether the car was originally DY3 yellow ("Antique Ivory"), EY4 "Mystic Gold" or FY6 "Citron Gold Metallic".]

FWIW, I paid $90 more for a '70 N-code Polara 'vert with numbers-matching 383-4 but fewer options last November (pre-Covid). A similar-looking but fully original DY3 Newport (but with a less “hot” gold bench interior) sold last year in Minnesota for $9.3k -- she now lives in Indiana.

00v0v_83jj4FGCQ77_1200x900.jpg

00R0R_9sbx8hWmkDw_1200x900.jpg

01313_dR00MLSbs5Z_1200x900.jpg

00E0E_81qNdpvqlkX_1200x900.jpg

00I0I_9Pfizp9bASv_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_7gXZ9yhf5Of_1200x900.jpg

00707_9vlLEsCjpKt_1200x900.jpg

01717_1DX7SI5VcBm_1200x900.jpg

00X0X_2e7krkwKjAO_1200x900.jpg

00J0J_iPm5ewkds42_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
this is a nice looking Chrysler, its been repainted if I'm seeing that right... Someone please chime in.

Is it me or does the firewall look like it's gold?
Agreed, which is why I asked ..

My thinking exactly. That's why I have inquired from the dealer. I like the car a lot, but my interest would drop if it'd been repainted in the wrong color (yeah yeah, I know about my own Medina -- but how many '71 2dr Monacos with white buckets are known to still exist? I had to buy that car) and had auto-temp.

Last edited:
They may be using the term survivor a bit loosely. I know definitions are all over the place. Need a tag pic for sure. Eng bay looks too clean to be original. Carpet also looks too nice to be original IMO. Trunk pic shows clean/black painted wheel well yet the brace next to it appears to be original. FWIW the brace looks to be Y3. Could it be the light in the eng bay pic making the firewall appear darker?

Anyone on here close by?

I have to wonder about whether the underhood photo is really from the same car. The claim is that it is a disc brake car but it has a drum brake master cylinder. And the car apparently has non- auto temp a/c but the underhood heater valve appears to be the auto temp one.

The trunk supports seem to be the body color and as Chris has noted the deck lid torsion bars are green for some reason. And the inner trunk wheel housings and inside quarter panels as noted by mdh157 seem to have been sprayed with some undercoating or other black coating - why?

It needs eyes on it and/or a photo of the body code plate.

But clearly a very good looking example if we hadn't seen the underhood photo.

My friend is local and off work today. He tried to check the car out this morning but I guess the seller didnt have his coffee yet, and wasnt expecting anyone to just drop by.

He did sent him a picture of the fender tag and told him to come by this afternoon if he has time to see the car.

20200416_105501.jpg

Thank you @71Polara383!

Briefly talked to the dealer over the phone during a coffee break. He was courteous and nice to talk to. The air conditioning does not work, but the heater does. I forgot to ask about rust, if any.

He said that the car had been repainted -- he'd guess about 20 or so years ago. Somehow he thinks that the repaint was in the original color, but the tag says otherwise (FY6, not DY3). I also note from Wyatt's post that the original top was black (V3X), but has been replaced by a white one.

In fact, from the outside, this FY6 Newport with its original black top and road wheels must have looked exactly like CE27L0C185303, @Love Shack's beautifully preserved Newport 'vert. The firewall color spotted by @polara71 and @azblackhemi looks like this Dutch picture of another FY6/V3X Newport 'vert owned by a friend of @69monaco.

In a normal (non-Covid) market, I would venture that $10k, +/- $1k would be the market price. It'll be interesting to see what the car sells for.

Last edited:
Not mine. CE27LOC192795 is for sale on CL for $13k (additional info on the dealer's website).

"This vehicle comes with power steering, power front disc brakes, power windows, power convertible top w/ boot, air conditioning, AM/FM 8-track player, factory clock, owners manual & sales brochure, full size spare & jack, front bucket seats and much more." I like the road wheels and black buckets and buddy seats, too.

If the air conditioning works and the car is solid, the asking price is not bad for this good-looking and well-equipped 'vert. Note that the rimblow wheel is uncracked, the seats look original yet rip-free and in good shape, and the carpet looks good. [Edit: as others below have noted, there are questions as to inconsistencies in the engine bay and whether the car was originally DY3 yellow ("Antique Ivory"), EY4 "Mystic Gold" or FY6 "Citron Gold Metallic".]

FWIW, I paid $90 more for a '70 N-code Polara 'vert with numbers-matching 383-4 but fewer options last November (pre-Covid). A similar-looking DY3 Newport (both with gold bench interior) sold last year in Minnesota for $9.3k -- she now lives in Indiana.

View attachment 369000

View attachment 369001

View attachment 369002

View attachment 368999

View attachment 369003

View attachment 369004

View attachment 369005

View attachment 369006

View attachment 369007

View attachment 369008
If you take a look at the passenger rear quarter it looks like the body side molding does not line up with the body line.Plus look at the top of the trunk lid in that picture. It sticks up higher than the sail panel. Do you think these are just misalignments or a sign of bodywork?

I believe those seats, or at least the covers, are for a 300. Newports did not have the round buttons.

Nice car though.

FCBO is great for helping buyers ferret out inconsistencies like on this car. (Though for me, that's irrelevant; I can afford only to dream about it.)

This car is similar in color to a Rolls-Royce Corniche that someone around here owns. When I saw it, I remember thinking, "I'd rather have a C-body ragtop."

When I look at the body code plate and see the repaint flaking off of what appears to be bare metal after little use of the car overall, that means the painters sanded off the original Citron Gold Metallic to bare metal and didn't bother to prime it afterward, and same for the rear trunk braces? It seems it would be better to sand the original paint some and then spray the color change on top of that if they aren't even going to primer the bare metal. I wonder what those kinds of efforts mean for the door jambs in terms of how long they will look OK and it is hard to tell if the trunk trough and adjacent weather strip have been carefully repainted or whether there is overspray onto the trunk lid seal either due to the glare in the images. I would figure on redoing the repaint if I were to consider buying the car. I still wouldn't buy it without a closer inspection and check of the underbody either.

Last edited:
I believe those seats, or at least the covers, are for a 300.
Standard on convertible, but yes, same as 70 300 buckets.

From the Hamtramck Registry, I see that the buckets/buddy code for a Newport 'vert was E6X9 (optional, as @Snotty has pointed out), whereas for a 300 it was M6X9. The pictures do not show any difference, but they are somewhat grainy. AFAICT from this 2014 post for CE27L0C210785, a 1970 Newport 'vert with E6T5 tan buckets, however, the buckets are indeed the same notwithstanding the different E6/M6 codes:

300 (M6):
upload_2020-4-16_14-45-17.png

Newport (E6)
upload_2020-4-16_14-44-27.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back