1970 Newport Interior

Lawrence Birke

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Newport Convertible which I am restoring and which needs to have the front bench seat re-upholstered. It is currently in light/medium blue. Does anyone know where I can get correct seat covers premade or correct material to have the covers made. Alternatively, I would also consider converting the front seat to bucket seats if anyone has correct used seats for sale. I may be able to get seat covers for bucket seats. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

A member (@Cags70PolaraConvert) with a ‘70 Polara went through the search for materials a year or two ago. The thread is here, I hope that you’ll find the info helpful.

PS: would you share pics of and info about your car?

Edit: SMS will send free samples of the materials. Easy enough to compare. My suggestion would be to order to materials from SMS, assuming they have them and match your car, and then to have a reputable local upholsterer do the job following the original pattern.

Last edited:
I just looked at the Legendary site, as that is who I would recommend. However, they offer nothing for your bench seat.

If you have time. SMS out of Oregon probably has the materials. Some people have had trouble with vinyl tops being the wrong fit, but I got what I needed. Just seems like it takes a few months for anything.
I don’t believe they actually make the seat covers.

Thanks for all the help. I have requested SMS to send me a sample of what they have available for my 1970 Newpost Convertible front seat. We will see. On another note - When I bought my car the previous owner had purchased a new white convertible top for the car but had not installed it. Recently I have been looking for an installer but have had no luck, even calling around in Memphis, TN. No one wanted to take on the job of this classic. Does anyone have any ideas? I would consider traveling up to 300+ miles from Jonesboro, Arkansas where the car is presently residing. Alternatively, anyone experienced with this want to make a trip my way and give me a hand. (For some $ of course) I have really no convertible top experience. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Back