1970 plymouth fury police marking questions

policefury1

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the up state NY highway patrol put the car numbers on their cars?
Mine, which I'm restoring, had some hideous over painting jobs and I cant find anything so far.
thanks for any help!

Isn't the Highway Patrol different than the State Police in NY?

i am not aware of any difference between NYS "police" vs "patrol", but my experience only goes back to 1997. a longtime NY state resident will know.

as to the cars and their numbers? guess it depends on IF there were two services.

1. take a look here: STP :: New York State Police

2. can't see the whole car (number may even be on roof).

orkStatePolice1970PlymouthFury-vi.jpg

good luck. :)

i am not aware of any difference between NYS "police" vs "patrol", but my experience only goes back to 1997. a longtime NY state resident will know.

I guess that's me... LOL...

First, there was no "Highway Patrol". There are New York State Troopers, also called New York State Police, that cover the entire state.

County Sheriffs for each county and then city/village/town cops.

Car numbers are the plate numbers and there is no number painted on the car. The fugly gold and blue colors didn't come around until the mid 70's.

couldn't find any images of a 70, but found some 69 and 71 pictures.
NYNewYorkStatePolice1969-vi.jpg

orkStatePolice1970PlymouthFury-vi.jpg

nyc had several variations including a highway patrol
12616330825_3b6e4b9966.jpg

nyc had several variations including a highway patrol
12616330825_3b6e4b9966.jpg

this says "Nassau County" so that must be the type that policefury1 is looking for? and its clearly numbered.

another long time NY resident in western NY told me last night same thing Big_John said .. NY STATE POLICE cars were license-plate numbered.

but my buddy did NOT recall any county cars with "Highway Patrol" markings .. could have been a down-state thing (counties/staties cooperating on policing the roads?)

this says "Nassau County" so that must be the type that policefury1 is looking for? and its clearly numbered.

another long time NY resident in western NY told me last night same thing Big_John said .. NY STATE POLICE cars were license-plate numbered.

but my buddy did NOT recall any county cars with "Highway Patrol" markings .. could have been a down-state thing (counties/staties cooperating on policing the roads?)

What a great bunch of helpers! Thanks for the pics and info.
Martin Kane

Back