1970 Plymouth Sport Fury S23 4 speed car

Wollfen

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hmmm, things got me thinking, I have this S23 sitting in my garage all red and splendid, and I keep looking at that preciously noted chassis addition (Check the pic with the white arrow.)
It just keeps nagging at me too, also because of what I have sitting on the garage floor that could take advantage of that.
What to do? What to do?

Arrival4.jpg
DSCF4385.jpg
mount1.jpg
4spd.jpg

I am following this with interest, I am "on the fence" with this idea of yours. It's your car so it's your decision, and yes I honestly think it would be a very cool feature to the car to make it like something that never existed, but should have. However if it is a real A51 code S/23 it maybe not a great idea, as it would ruin the value. Best of luck with the project, I am very excited to hear what you will decide.

I am following this with interest, I am "on the fence" with this idea of yours. It's your car so it's your decision, and yes I honestly think it would be a very cool feature to the car to make it like something that never existed, but should have. However if it is a real A51 code S/23 it maybe not a great idea, as it would ruin the value. Best of luck with the project, I am very excited to hear what you will decide.
It is a real A51 yes, but the original motor and trans were long gone when I got the car, if you look at my original thread from when I first picked this car up and started looking into it, it was very rusty. A number of people made commentary about how sad it would be lost when it was for sale. Some even talked about wanting the front clip off it. I did decide to paint it a different color, after all, it is no longer original and not numbers matching, plus being triple pickle really irked me.
My only other issue is the 1970 date coded 383 I am wanting to put in may be a good runner and it doesn't have a drilled crank to accept the 4spd. So yeah, I haven't decided yet.

Hmmm, things got me thinking, I have this S23 sitting in my garage all red and splendid, and I keep looking at that preciously noted chassis addition (Check the pic with the white arrow.)
It just keeps nagging at me too, also because of what I have sitting on the garage floor that could take advantage of that.
What to do? What to do?

View attachment 356603 View attachment 356604 View attachment 356605 View attachment 356606
I converted my '63 Chrysler 300J to a four speed when I rebuilt it a few years ago. I've never regretted it and each time I drive it, it's more fun than the last time. Build it the way you want it, that's what cars are for.

The bracket is in place, I think the choice is clear.
It wouldn't be hard to rough drill the crank to keep from having to trim the input shaft. Probably all of us cringe when cutting a good input shaft, but, judging from how nice of work you do, if this car was finished, it will probably stay a 4 speed for eternity.
And wow would it be cool.

I don’t think it would devalue it at all, in fact maybe just the opposite.

A51 or not. Original drivetrain gone, original paint gone and changed to from green to red so not matching the fendertag anymore,
so go for that manual trans ! That will be a fantastic car when finished :thumbsup:

While I can appreciate a car that is maintained as it left the factory, I enjoy seeing a car that has been altered to the owners personal tastes...that being said I hope you install the 4 speed soon and provide us lots and lots of pictures!

I’ll never understand why you guys want to work while you drive, but if you do it, it needs to be a pistol grip or it ain’t worth it.

I’m curious about the pivot bracket, was that there from the factory? Back in the 80’s I converted my Chally R/T convertible to a four speed and had to source the bracket and weld it in. Imagine my surprise when we went to mate the trans with the block and it didn’t fit in. We pulled it apart and discovered the original N code motor did not have a pilot shaft bearing or drilled crank. I borrowed a machinist drill, huge bit and eyeballed as we drilled the crank. Like two dumb teenagers and dumb luck, it went together and drove without issues, but to this day I’m still baffled as to why the N code crank wasn’t at least drilled from the factory, and here you have a pivot bracket on a C body frame. Mother Mopar was a strange brand.

Back